Random-words email query
Add Reply
HVS
2017-08-06 09:50:19 UTC
Received an email today promoting woodworking plans (not interested, but not
inconsistent with stuff I've done on-line over the years).

The alleged sender is "homothallism" at "mauiseif.faith"; a quick google
tells me that "faith" is one of the fairly-new top level domains used by
spammers for the past couple of years. It's a standard-looking email, with a
source/unsubscribe link at the bottom of "Neuropathy Treatment Group LLC 3855
W. Lorenzo Ste. 100 Eagle, ID 83616".

All of that is par for the course for malware/clickbait/harvesting junk, but
this one has the following gobbledegook at the top:

[quote]

we wall Missis apprehension of then he on off lonely they found the I now
Cribbed rather so great a and of much Joe answer I on of the understand in
took close of to with hugged on sergeant and hour to long day said
Pumblechook garden at his young in of be said Joe whether I a Id sister whats
on she reproachful seemed back answer and with but wall It and Tobias noise a
myself and clergyman a and the horizontal finished after hunted town afraid
thread JO ​

[/quote]

So: what purpose does the blather-word screed of random words serve in
whatever scheme is behind this?
--
Cheers,
Harvey
Whiskers
2017-08-06 13:38:21 UTC
Post by HVS
Received an email today promoting woodworking plans (not interested, but not
inconsistent with stuff I've done on-line over the years).
The alleged sender is "homothallism" at "mauiseif.faith"; a quick google
tells me that "faith" is one of the fairly-new top level domains used by
spammers for the past couple of years. It's a standard-looking email, with a
source/unsubscribe link at the bottom of "Neuropathy Treatment Group LLC 3855
W. Lorenzo Ste. 100 Eagle, ID 83616".
Ark building for shell-shocked hermaphrodites?
Post by HVS
All of that is par for the course for malware/clickbait/harvesting junk, but
[quote]
we wall Missis apprehension of then he on off lonely they found the I now
Cribbed rather so great a and of much Joe answer I on of the understand in
took close of to with hugged on sergeant and hour to long day said
Pumblechook garden at his young in of be said Joe whether I a Id sister whats
on she reproachful seemed back answer and with but wall It and Tobias noise a
myself and clergyman a and the horizontal finished after hunted town afraid
thread JO ​
[/quote]
So: what purpose does the blather-word screed of random words serve in
whatever scheme is behind this?
Probably an attempt to fool 'heuristic' spam detectors that try to
identify spam by its content. Gibberish is difficult to learn from if
you don't understand language (which spam detectors generally don't).
Sometimes the spammers put the gibberish in the first 'text plain' part
of a multipart message where the content they want you to see is in the
second 'text HTML' part which they hope is what you have your email
software set to display by default - so you don't see the gibberish at
all.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
HVS
2017-08-06 13:57:25 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Sometimes the spammers put the gibberish in the first 'text plain' part
of a multipart message where the content they want you to see is in the
second 'text HTML' part which they hope is what you have your email
software set to display by default - so you don't see the gibberish at
all.
Thanks - I'd not thought of that. Sounds sensible.
--
Cheers, Harvey
CanE (30 years) & BrE (34 years),