Victoria, AU: Big Bro is here, wants ALL cars equipped with GPS, LoJack
B***@BillTurlock.com
2017-07-07 19:57:20 UTC
http://www.zdnet.com/article/54000-fines-pulled-by-victorian-police-following-wannacry-will-stand-report/
Heather
2017-07-08 00:36:04 UTC
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://www.zdnet.com/article/54000-fines-pulled-by-victorian-police-following-wannacry-will-stand-report/
Highly unlikely to happen. The people who own the really expensive
cars will not want their whereabouts known to the police and the
police don't really do anything about the theft of normal cars as they
have more important things to do like setting up speed traps.
--
Heather

---
Les Albert
2017-07-08 02:58:45 UTC
Post by Heather
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://www.zdnet.com/article/54000-fines-pulled-by-victorian-police-following-wannacry-will-stand-report/
Highly unlikely to happen. The people who own the really expensive
cars will not want their whereabouts known to the police and the
police don't really do anything about the theft of normal cars as they
have more important things to do like setting up speed traps.
It sounds like a terrible place.

Les
Heather
2017-07-11 05:02:30 UTC
Post by Les Albert
Post by Heather
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://www.zdnet.com/article/54000-fines-pulled-by-victorian-police-following-wannacry-will-stand-report/
Highly unlikely to happen. The people who own the really expensive
cars will not want their whereabouts known to the police and the
police don't really do anything about the theft of normal cars as they
have more important things to do like setting up speed traps.
It sounds like a terrible place.
Our leaders are working very hard to make us as much like the USA as
they possibly can.
--
Heather

---
B***@BillTurlock.com
::sympathy::
Howard
2017-07-11 14:04:20 UTC
Post by Heather
Our leaders are working very hard to make us as much like the USA as
they possibly can.
What is the public reaction in Australia to what's happening to the Great
Barrier Reef? To the Australian government's lobbying against the UN
designating the reef as being threatened? A quick look at Australian media
gives a pretty diverse set of views, and it's hard for an American to get a
sense how much of that is the result of a Murdoch press filter.
Les Albert
2017-07-11 15:01:39 UTC
Post by Heather
Post by Les Albert
Post by Heather
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://www.zdnet.com/article/54000-fines-pulled-by-victorian-police-following-wannacry-will-stand-report/
Highly unlikely to happen. The people who own the really expensive
cars will not want their whereabouts known to the police and the
police don't really do anything about the theft of normal cars as they
have more important things to do like setting up speed traps.
It sounds like a terrible place.
Our leaders are working very hard to make us as much like the USA as
they possibly can.
It's so easy to push your buttons. You never disappoint.

Les
Questor
2017-07-12 18:20:59 UTC
Post by Heather
Post by Les Albert
Post by Heather
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://www.zdnet.com/article/54000-fines-pulled-by-victorian-police-following-wannacry-will-stand-report/
Highly unlikely to happen. The people who own the really expensive
cars will not want their whereabouts known to the police and the
police don't really do anything about the theft of normal cars as they
have more important things to do like setting up speed traps.
It sounds like a terrible place.
Our leaders are working very hard to make us as much like the USA as
they possibly can.
In some ways it's already worse. Photo traffic enforcement comes to mind. And
as I understand it, the allowable margin for exceeding the speed limit is
generally much smaller than in the U.S. (I.e., you will ticketed for going only
1-3 mph over the limit, versus 5-10 in the U.S.)

And while the details are escaping recollection, I think Austrialia politicians
have been more successful in implementing a nation-wide Internet "filtering"
(aka censorship) system, ineffectual though it may be. My further hazy belief,
open to correction, is that these officials have also suffered little in the way
of 'blow-back' from the public, at least on this issue.
Questor
2017-07-20 20:36:24 UTC
Post by Heather
Our leaders are working very hard to make us as much like the USA as
they possibly can.
They're not above taking the worst ideas from other countries either:

**********
Australia plans law to force tech giants to decrypt messages
http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article161310228.html

The Australian government has proposed a new cybersecurity law to force global
technology companies such as Facebook and Google to help police by unscrambling
encrypted messages sent by suspected extremists and other criminals. Prime
Minister Malcolm Turnbull said on Friday the law would be modeled on Britain's
Investigatory Powers Act, which was passed by the British Parliament in November
and gave intelligence agencies some of the most extensive surveillance powers in
the western world.
**********

Because Austalian politicians know better than the experts:

**********
Prime Minister of Australia: The laws of mathematics don't apply in Australia!
http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-laws-of-australia-will-trump-the-laws-of-mathematics-turnbull/

The laws of Australia prevail in Australia, I can assure you of that," he said
on Friday. "The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that
applies in Australia is the law of Australia."
**********

Irony? Hypocrisy? You decide.

**********
[Facebook owns WhatsApp, which is used by the Australian PM and cabinet]
http://www.afr.com/news/spies-give-whatsapp-malcolm-turnbulls-app-of-choice-the-ok-20161017-gs437i

The Australian Signals Directorate has said it has no concerns about the
Turnbull government's avid use of WhatsApp for normal communication, but Labor
is questioning whether it has been used for the transmission of sensitive and
classified messages.

Earlier on Monday, the Prime Minister's department has confirmed his smartphone
app of choice, WhatsApp, is not on the Australian Signals Directorate's approved
list for sensitive and classified communication. But the Prime Minister's cyber
security adviser Alastair MacGibbon consulted ASD and said they had advised
there was no problem for it to be used by parliamentarians for everyday
discussion.