"The Walls Are Closing In"
Add Reply
Brettster
2017-08-03 23:56:48 UTC
Some news story today said the walls are closing in on
Donald Trump—a reference to Special Counsel Robert
Mueller's investigation.

Many years ago, when I was a boy, I saw a movie called
"Arnold" in which a couple of people were taking a shower
together and the walls were quite literally moving in closer
together; they were then promptly flattened like a pancake,
like something out of a James Bond movie.

I have always liked the phrase "the walls are closing in on
him," probably because it reminded me of that movie. But
now, in retrospect of many years, I realize the phrase probably
should not be taken literally. Is it more like you just feel the
walls are closing in, cabin-fever style?
Howard
2017-08-04 02:29:24 UTC
Post by Brettster
Some news story today said the walls are closing in on
Donald Trump—a reference to Special Counsel Robert
Mueller's investigation.
Many years ago, when I was a boy, I saw a movie called
"Arnold" in which a couple of people were taking a shower
together and the walls were quite literally moving in closer
together; they were then promptly flattened like a pancake,
like something out of a James Bond movie.
I have always liked the phrase "the walls are closing in on
him," probably because it reminded me of that movie. But
now, in retrospect of many years, I realize the phrase probably
should not be taken literally. Is it more like you just feel the
walls are closing in, cabin-fever style?
I'm going to guess far more people think of the trash compactor scene in
the first Star Wars movie.
danny burstein
2017-08-04 02:41:18 UTC
Post by Howard
Post by Brettster
I have always liked the phrase "the walls are closing in on
him," probably because it reminded me of that movie. But
now, in retrospect of many years, I realize the phrase probably
should not be taken literally. Is it more like you just feel the
walls are closing in, cabin-fever style?
I'm going to guess far more people think of the trash compactor scene in
the first Star Wars movie.
Or the James Bond crushmobile in Goldfinger
***@panix.com
Les Albert
2017-08-04 03:10:38 UTC
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 16:56:48 -0700 (PDT), Brettster
Post by Brettster
Some news story today said the walls are closing in on
Donald Trump—a reference to Special Counsel Robert
Mueller's investigation.
Many years ago, when I was a boy, I saw a movie called
"Arnold" in which a couple of people were taking a shower
together and the walls were quite literally moving in closer
together; they were then promptly flattened like a pancake,
like something out of a James Bond movie.
I have always liked the phrase "the walls are closing in on
him," probably because it reminded me of that movie. But
now, in retrospect of many years, I realize the phrase probably
should not be taken literally. Is it more like you just feel the
walls are closing in, cabin-fever style?
The phrase reminds me of the Poe story, "The Pit and the Pendulum".

Les
Whiskers
2017-08-04 11:38:01 UTC
Post by Brettster
Some news story today said the walls are closing in on
Donald Trump—a reference to Special Counsel Robert
Mueller's investigation.
Many years ago, when I was a boy, I saw a movie called
"Arnold" in which a couple of people were taking a shower
together and the walls were quite literally moving in closer
together; they were then promptly flattened like a pancake,
like something out of a James Bond movie.
I have always liked the phrase "the walls are closing in on
him," probably because it reminded me of that movie. But
now, in retrospect of many years, I realize the phrase probably
should not be taken literally. Is it more like you just feel the
walls are closing in, cabin-fever style?
The phrase reminds me of the Poe story, "The Pit and the Pendulum".
Les
I was going to say that. But someone who's ill or anxious or trapped
may well feel that they are in danger of being crushed.
--
-- Whiskers
Les Albert
2017-08-04 16:49:51 UTC
Post by Brettster
[...]
I think it's going to be the pit for Trump.

Les