Contacts wearers -- how is this possible?
Add Reply
Howard
2017-07-15 18:53:32 UTC
Optometry Today reports that an ophthalmologist discovered a mass of 17
contact lenses in a patient's eye, with 10 more lenses discovered after
further examination.

https://www.aop.org.uk/ot/science-and-vision/research/2017/07/14/uk-
surgeon-finds-27-missing-contact-lenses-in-womans-eye

http://tinyurl.com/y9m228pr

I've never worn them, but I can see how one might migrate under an eyelid.
Does it seem remotely possible that 27 might get lost, though?
Whiskers
2017-07-16 15:17:22 UTC
Post by Howard
Optometry Today reports that an ophthalmologist discovered a mass of 17
contact lenses in a patient's eye, with 10 more lenses discovered after
further examination.
https://www.aop.org.uk/ot/science-and-vision/research/2017/07/14/uk-
surgeon-finds-27-missing-contact-lenses-in-womans-eye
http://tinyurl.com/y9m228pr
I've never worn them, but I can see how one might migrate under an eyelid.
Does it seem remotely possible that 27 might get lost, though?
Highly improbable, but apparently possible. I can imagine someone who
isn't too careful, managing to dislodge a contact lens from in front of
the iris but not removing it from the eye; I've done that myself, but
the discomfort was enough to make sure I sorted it out ASAP. Soft
lenses can curl up under an eyelid instead of peeling off as they should
when being removed.

I have had a soft lens split into two layers, one layer being successfully
removed as intended but the second layer being more elusive and
reluctant to detach - but the discomfort was motive enough to get it
sorted PDQ.

Perhaps this person had a very high tolerance for discomfort, or low
sensitivity. If the lenses were meant to be in place for a month, she
would have become used to some awareness of something always in the eye.
A gradually increasing bulk might not raise any alarm if she wasn't in
pain. But it is surprising that no-one else noticed stray lenses in her
eye even if she didn't. The other surprise is that she didn't realise
that the old lens should always come out before putting a new one in,
although she might have assumed they'd somehow dissolve.

I'm assuming that the lenses were cosmetic rather than corrective, as
the latter would surely need an optician to test and examine the patient
periodically. If she'd bought cosmetic lenses 'on line' she might never
have had any proper advice and training in the use of contact lenses.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Howard
2017-07-17 03:04:40 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Howard
[...]
Thanks to you and Greg for the further details. I guess maybe it's one
of those things where if you can acclimate to one or two, each
additional one isn't that much more.

Greg Goss
2017-07-16 18:51:04 UTC
Post by Howard
Optometry Today reports that an ophthalmologist discovered a mass of 17
contact lenses in a patient's eye, with 10 more lenses discovered after
further examination.
https://www.aop.org.uk/ot/science-and-vision/research/2017/07/14/uk-
surgeon-finds-27-missing-contact-lenses-in-womans-eye
http://tinyurl.com/y9m228pr
I've never worn them, but I can see how one might migrate under an eyelid.
Does it seem remotely possible that 27 might get lost, though?
I used to wear contacts. I remember once searching everywhere for a
contact that had fallen out, only to blink and see again. The contact
was, indeed, hiding behind the eyelid.

The patient in question might have had more clearance between the eye
and socket than normal. Thus the lenses may have migrated further
than just the eyelid.