Just as soon as Harbor Freight starts selling them...!
Add Reply
B***@BillTurlock.com
2017-07-09 05:20:58 UTC
http://imgur.com/gallery/cD0I2mk
Jeff Green
2017-07-09 14:29:07 UTC
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://imgur.com/gallery/cD0I2mk
Indeed.

Whiskers
2017-07-11 12:46:40 UTC
Post by Jeff Green
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://imgur.com/gallery/cD0I2mk
Indeed.
Doesn't look safe, to me. Heavy things shouldn't be balanced on a
single axle; the whole thing is on the point of toppling either towards
or away from the operator.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Greg Goss
2017-07-11 13:26:57 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Jeff Green
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://imgur.com/gallery/cD0I2mk
Indeed.
Doesn't look safe, to me. Heavy things shouldn't be balanced on a
single axle; the whole thing is on the point of toppling either towards
or away from the operator.
I disagree. You think wheelbarrows are unsafe? Supporting things
mechanically while the operator provides the balance has been entirely
normal for centuries. With a wheelbarrow, the operator is providing
balance in TWO axes.

I notice at one point, he uses this lifter to move a fridge dolly. Do
you also think that two-wheel dollies are unsafe? I was a household
mover for several years and have moved literally tons of books over
the years. I think that the single axle of a two-wheeler is perfectly
safe.

This is just an advanced version of a two-wheeler or wheelbarrow.
Whiskers
2017-07-11 14:34:44 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Whiskers
Post by Jeff Green
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://imgur.com/gallery/cD0I2mk
Indeed.
Doesn't look safe, to me. Heavy things shouldn't be balanced on a
single axle; the whole thing is on the point of toppling either towards
or away from the operator.
I disagree. You think wheelbarrows are unsafe? Supporting things
mechanically while the operator provides the balance has been entirely
normal for centuries. With a wheelbarrow, the operator is providing
balance in TWO axes.
I notice at one point, he uses this lifter to move a fridge dolly. Do
you also think that two-wheel dollies are unsafe? I was a household
mover for several years and have moved literally tons of books over
the years. I think that the single axle of a two-wheeler is perfectly
safe.
This is just an advanced version of a two-wheeler or wheelbarrow.
The difference with a wheelbarrow is that the load is never more than an
inch or so above the axle, and never forwards of it.

The device in the clip is shown lifting very heavy things some feet
above the axle, and sometimes in front of it, and the operator is at
risk of being lifted off his feet or falling beneath the load, neither
of which can happen with a wheelbarrow. The device in the clip also has
very small wheels, which make it vulnerable to uneven floors or small
obstacles.

A wheelbarrow is inherently stable; if you let go, the back legs drop an
inch or two onto the ground and the barrow stops moving with the load
still on board. The rear wheels on the device in the clip are a couple
of feet above the ground, and the load moves from in front of the front
axle to behind it and back again, so if the operator lets go the device
will either dump the load forwards or will crash down onto its rear
wheels and who knows what it will do then? (It looks as if that fridge
might be catapulted backwards towards the operator).

I'm sure there are stable three or four wheeled fork-lift trolleys
available that will perform a lot more safely. Here's one maker
<http://www.electriclift.us/> "Protema from TAWI - electric lift
trolley" that seems to have such things.

Any 'dolly' that needs a tall heavy object to be tilted off balance, is
risky. If you were moving crates of books or other heavy things around,
I would expect you to have used a traditional trolley such as this
<http://diy.com/departments/general-purpose-hand-trolley-max-weight-150kg/1357676_BQ.prd>
and a separate hoist for getting things into and out of the van. Notice
that the load is never very far off the ground.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Tim Wright
2017-07-11 14:39:40 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Jeff Green
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://imgur.com/gallery/cD0I2mk
Indeed.
Doesn't look safe, to me. Heavy things shouldn't be balanced on a
single axle; the whole thing is on the point of toppling either towards
or away from the operator.
You've never used a hand truck?
Studies have shown that the people of Dubai don't understand the humor
of the Flintstones, but the people of Abu Dhabi do.

Tim W
Whiskers
2017-07-11 17:31:35 UTC
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Whiskers
Post by Jeff Green
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://imgur.com/gallery/cD0I2mk
Indeed.
Doesn't look safe, to me. Heavy things shouldn't be balanced on a
single axle; the whole thing is on the point of toppling either towards
or away from the operator.
You've never used a hand truck?
<http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/426/42615_2000x2000.jpg>
Of course I've used that sort of thing. Notice that the load is never
lifted more than an inch or so off the ground, unlike the thing in the
clip which has a hydraulic cylinder and can lift things quite high, such
as that tall fridge being placed on a table-top.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Questor
2017-07-12 18:20:43 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Whiskers
Post by Jeff Green
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
http://imgur.com/gallery/cD0I2mk
Indeed.
Doesn't look safe, to me. Heavy things shouldn't be balanced on a
single axle; the whole thing is on the point of toppling either towards
or away from the operator.
You've never used a hand truck?
<http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/426/42615_2000x2000.jpg>
Of course I've used that sort of thing. Notice that the load is never
lifted more than an inch or so off the ground, unlike the thing in the
clip which has a hydraulic cylinder and can lift things quite high, such
as that tall fridge being placed on a table-top.
I concur. Although the pictured gizmo may be useful, it is far from foolproof.
Rasiing the load that high imbues it with potential energy. And when some fools
manage to release that potential into uncontrolled kinetic energy, there will be
a new subcategory of #fail videos on youtube.

Consider the forklift. Without even looking I know there are likely to be many
videos on the Internet illustrating how *not* to use them.