course description: INFO 198 at the University of Washington in Seattle
Questor
2017-07-09 06:10:28 UTC
Teachers may be in trouble if they start offering this course in high school or
middle school. Yes, this is a serious course, and yes, the FAQ is worth a look.

**********
University of Washington in Seattle
INFO 198
Calling Bullshit in the Age of Big Data

Is this your idea of a joke?

No. This is the website that accompanies a college course
entitled 'Calling Bullshit'.

http://callingbullshit.org/FAQ.html
a***@yahoo.com
2017-07-09 15:38:15 UTC
Post by Questor
Teachers may be in trouble if they start offering this course in high school or
middle school. Yes, this is a serious course, and yes, the FAQ is worth a look.
**********
University of Washington in Seattle
INFO 198
Calling Bullshit in the Age of Big Data
Is this your idea of a joke?
No. This is the website that accompanies a college course
entitled 'Calling Bullshit'.
http://callingbullshit.org/FAQ.html
Awhile ago I read the homepage and decided that the first paragraph was a very good example of BS.

http://callingbullshit.org/index.html

"The world is awash in bullshit. Politicians are unconstrained by facts. Science is conducted by press release. Higher education rewards bullshit over analytic thought. Startup culture elevates bullshit to high art. Advertisers wink conspiratorially and invite us to join them in seeing through all the bullshit — and take advantage of our lowered guard to bombard us with bullshit of the second order. The majority of administrative activity, whether in private business or the public sphere, seems to be little more than a sophisticated exercise in the combinatorial reassembly of bullshit".

There are 7 claims there. There is not an anecdote, much less data. Trigger warning "Nerd Mode". When log evidence/opinion) is undefined, you have a duty to sarcasm the opinionator.
B***@BillTurlock.com
2017-07-09 21:51:57 UTC
"NO Verbing!"
a***@yahoo.com
2017-07-09 22:25:21 UTC
Is it OK if I noun?
B***@BillTurlock.com
2017-07-10 03:28:48 UTC
If you must
Questor
2017-07-10 17:54:25 UTC
Post by B***@BillTurlock.com
Post by a***@yahoo.com
There are 7 claims there. There is not an anecdote, much less data. Trigger warning "Nerd Mode". When log evidence/opinion) is undefined, you have a duty to sarcasm the opinionator.
"NO Verbing!"
In English, any noun can be verbed.

Questor
2017-07-10 17:53:51 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Questor
Teachers may be in trouble if they start offering this course in high school or
middle school. Yes, this is a serious course, and yes, the FAQ is worth a look.
**********
University of Washington in Seattle
INFO 198
Calling Bullshit in the Age of Big Data
http://callingbullshit.org/FAQ.html
Awhile ago I read the homepage and decided that the first paragraph was a
very good example of BS.
http://callingbullshit.org/index.html
"The world is awash in bullshit. Politicians are unconstrained by facts. Science
is conducted by press release. Higher education rewards bullshit over
analytic thought. Startup culture elevates bullshit to high art. Advertisers
wink conspiratorially and invite us to join them in seeing through all the
bullshit =E2=80=94 and take advantage of our lowered guard to bombard us
with bullshit of the second order. The majority of administrative activity,
whether in private business or the public sphere, seems to be little more
than a sophisticated exercise in the combinatorial reassembly of bullshit."
There are 7 claims there. There is not an anecdote, much less data. Trigger
warning "Nerd Mode". When log evidence/opinion) is undefined, you have a
duty to sarcasm the opinionator.
You want the course material delivered in the course description? A bit
hyperbolic perhaps, but then a course description is a form of advertising
in itself.

I'd say there's some degree of truth in all those claims. The course concerns
itself with recognizing bullshit and countering it.

"Our aim in this course is to teach you how to think critically about the data
and models that constitute evidence in the social and natural sciences."

Also note the disclaimer on that web page.
B***@BillTurlock.com
2017-07-09 21:40:21 UTC
Post by Questor
Teachers may be in trouble if they start offering this course in high school or
middle school. Yes, this is a serious course, and yes, the FAQ is worth a look.
**********
University of Washington in Seattle
INFO 198
Calling Bullshit in the Age of Big Data
Is this your idea of a joke?
No. This is the website that accompanies a college course
entitled 'Calling Bullshit'.
http://callingbullshit.org/FAQ.html
Are they ESL?

"We are taught the course as a one-credit..."
&
"We are recorded video of the lectures..."