Four Planets
Questor
2018-08-05 21:27:20 UTC
I have been enjoying the sight of four planets visible in the evening sky at the
same time, which will persist through the month of August.

For viewers in Northern temperate latitudes, about an hour after sunset look
for brilliant Venus setting low in the West.

Higher to the Southwest, bright Jupiter is also easy to spot.

Turning to the Southeast, approximately the same distance that separates Venus
and Jupiter also separates Jupiter and Saturn. Saturn is not particularly
bright. but there are no other bright stars nearby with which it might be
confused.

Rising low in the Southeast, fiery Mars currently outshines Jupiter, as we have
just passed our closest opposition to it since 2003.

Viewers in Southern temperate latitudes will find these planets higher in their
Northern sky.
Jeff Green
2018-08-06 03:15:57 UTC
Post by Questor
I have been enjoying the sight of four planets visible in the evening sky at the
same time, which will persist through the month of August.
For viewers in Northern temperate latitudes, about an hour after sunset look
for brilliant Venus setting low in the West.
Higher to the Southwest, bright Jupiter is also easy to spot.
Turning to the Southeast, approximately the same distance that separates Venus
and Jupiter also separates Jupiter and Saturn. Saturn is not particularly
bright. but there are no other bright stars nearby with which it might be
confused.
Rising low in the Southeast, fiery Mars currently outshines Jupiter, as we have
just passed our closest opposition to it since 2003.
Viewers in Southern temperate latitudes will find these planets higher in their
Northern sky.
Indeed. It is a sight.