Ailes Dead
Howard
2017-05-18 14:29:46 UTC
Paranoid racist serial harrasser Roger Ailes is dead. With any luck, a
thousand new stories of his evil will come out from people who signed non-
disclosure agreements. The contracts may contain clauses binding after
death, but they are very hard to enforce.

https://nyti.ms/2qwL6Gl
Boron
2017-05-18 15:17:18 UTC
On Thu, 18 May 2017 14:29:46 +0000 (UTC), Howard
Post by Howard
Paranoid racist serial harrasser Roger Ailes is dead. With any luck, a
thousand new stories of his evil will come out from people who signed non-
disclosure agreements. The contracts may contain clauses binding after
death, but they are very hard to enforce.
https://nyti.ms/2qwL6Gl
One should only speak good of the dead.

He's dead.

Good.
B***@BillTurlock.com
::LIKE::
Boron Elgar
I take no credit. It is from Moms Mabley.
Peter Boulding
2017-05-19 14:04:40 UTC
Post by Howard
Paranoid racist serial harrasser Roger Ailes is dead. With any luck, a
thousand new stories of his evil will come out from people who signed non-
disclosure agreements. The contracts may contain clauses binding after
death, but they are very hard to enforce.
https://nyti.ms/2qwL6Gl
So ends the man without whose wholehearted support Bush 43's second term,
the Tea Party, birtherism, Barack the Muslim, the invasion of Iraq,
President Trump, and much else that has both dragged US politics into the
sewer and damned near destroyed the mainstream media would probably not have
gained traction.

But bear in mind that Ailes was Rupert's creature. And Rupert is still
around.
--
Regards, Peter Boulding
***@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=794240&content=music
Boron
I look forward to Murdoch dropping dead, too.
Howard
2017-05-19 15:47:11 UTC
Post by Howard
Paranoid racist serial harrasser Roger Ailes is dead. With any luck,
a thousand new stories of his evil will come out from people who
signed non- disclosure agreements. The contracts may contain clauses
binding after death, but they are very hard to enforce.
https://nyti.ms/2qwL6Gl
So ends the man without whose wholehearted support Bush 43's second
term, the Tea Party, birtherism, Barack the Muslim, the invasion of
Iraq, President Trump, and much else that has both dragged US politics
into the sewer and damned near destroyed the mainstream media would
probably not have gained traction.
But bear in mind that Ailes was Rupert's creature. And Rupert is still
around.
Is there a UK equivalent to Fox News in terms of reach and influence?
If not, did Murdoch ever try to build one, or did he keep his focus on
tabloids?
Peter Boulding
2017-05-19 22:05:06 UTC
Post by Howard
[...]
Not really, although the state of the UK MSM is nothing to boast about.

But we live in interesting times, so watch this space. James, reckoning that
by now everyone has forgotten about the phone (etc.) hacking scandal, has
put in another bid to gain total control of Sky (the UK's monopoly satellite
broadcaster). Prime Minister Theresa May will be putting off the
government's answer until after the snap election--which she's expected to
win easily while New Labour (Blairites) and Old Labour (Corbynites) continue
to tear each other apart--but is then not unlikely to give the go-ahead.
bill van
2017-05-19 17:47:10 UTC
Post by Peter Boulding
Post by Howard
Paranoid racist serial harrasser Roger Ailes is dead. With any luck, a
thousand new stories of his evil will come out from people who signed non-
disclosure agreements. The contracts may contain clauses binding after
death, but they are very hard to enforce.
https://nyti.ms/2qwL6Gl
So ends the man without whose wholehearted support Bush 43's second term,
the Tea Party, birtherism, Barack the Muslim, the invasion of Iraq,
President Trump, and much else that has both dragged US politics into the
sewer and damned near destroyed the mainstream media would probably not have
gained traction.
But bear in mind that Ailes was Rupert's creature. And Rupert is still
around.
I watched the Netflix documentary about Roger Stone last night. He's
still around too, and had a very big hand in all of the above and much
more; he apprenticed in right-wing political manipulation as a minor
member of Nixon's Watergate crew.
bill
Howard
2017-05-19 21:14:20 UTC
Post by bill van
I watched the Netflix documentary about Roger Stone last night. He's
still around too, and had a very big hand in all of the above and much
more; he apprenticed in right-wing political manipulation as a minor
member of Nixon's Watergate crew.
Did it talk about how Roy Cohn brought Stone and Trump together? Trump's
close connection to Roy Cohn is one of the uglier parts of his early
history. After the death of Joe McCarthy, Cohn was an advisor for major
mob figures in NYC and Trump worked with Cohn for over a decade to help
Trump with his dealings with organized crime.

http://politi.co/1YO7aEj
danny burstein
2017-05-19 21:47:20 UTC
Post by Howard
Post by bill van
I watched the Netflix documentary about Roger Stone last night. He's
still around too, and had a very big hand in all of the above and much
more; he apprenticed in right-wing political manipulation as a minor
member of Nixon's Watergate crew.
Did it talk about how Roy Cohn brought Stone and Trump together? Trump's
close connection to Roy Cohn is one of the uglier parts of his early
history. After the death of Joe McCarthy, Cohn was an advisor for major
mob figures in NYC and Trump worked with Cohn for over a decade to help
Trump with his dealings with organized crime.
http://politi.co/1YO7aEj
He also destroyed Lionel Trains..

(well, contributed)
***@panix.com
bill van
2017-05-19 21:55:21 UTC
Post by Howard
Post by bill van
I watched the Netflix documentary about Roger Stone last night. He's
still around too, and had a very big hand in all of the above and much
more; he apprenticed in right-wing political manipulation as a minor
member of Nixon's Watergate crew.
Did it talk about how Roy Cohn brought Stone and Trump together? Trump's
close connection to Roy Cohn is one of the uglier parts of his early
history. After the death of Joe McCarthy, Cohn was an advisor for major
mob figures in NYC and Trump worked with Cohn for over a decade to help
Trump with his dealings with organized crime.
http://politi.co/1YO7aEj
Yes, Cohn was in the movie, stinking of corruption.
bill
Howard
2017-05-20 19:17:17 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by Howard
Post by bill van
I watched the Netflix documentary about Roger Stone last night.
He's still around too, and had a very big hand in all of the above
and much more; he apprenticed in right-wing political manipulation
as a minor member of Nixon's Watergate crew.
Did it talk about how Roy Cohn brought Stone and Trump together?
Trump's close connection to Roy Cohn is one of the uglier parts of
his early history. After the death of Joe McCarthy, Cohn was an
advisor for major mob figures in NYC and Trump worked with Cohn for
over a decade to help Trump with his dealings with organized crime.
http://politi.co/1YO7aEj
Yes, Cohn was in the movie, stinking of corruption.
Thanks. I'll try to watch it, if I can manage to hold my nose for that
long.

Flynn has already tried to cut a deal with investigators to flip on
Trump, and before this is over, I wouldn't be surprised if at Stone does
too. Stone has to know that Trump will throw him overboard if there's
the slightest benefit to him.
Questor
2017-07-09 06:08:39 UTC
Post by Peter Boulding
Post by Howard
Paranoid racist serial harrasser Roger Ailes is dead. With any luck, a
thousand new stories of his evil will come out from people who signed non-
disclosure agreements. The contracts may contain clauses binding after
death, but they are very hard to enforce.
https://nyti.ms/2qwL6Gl
So ends the man without whose wholehearted support Bush 43's second term,
the Tea Party, birtherism, Barack the Muslim, the invasion of Iraq,
President Trump, and much else that has both dragged US politics into the
sewer and damned near destroyed the mainstream media would probably not have
gained traction.
If what I read is correct, he was also the campaign advisor largely responsible
for the ad that put Mitch McConnell in the Senate.

and also... from a blog comment (which I have not verified):

"Not for nothing, but about a year later in 1970, Nixon's Executive Producer for
Media came up with a 15-page plan to combat those "Nattering Nabobs" of Liberal
Media. It was titled 'A Plan for Putting the GOP on TV News,' and is in the
Nixon Library in San Clemente. Among the reasons given for the presumed success
if there ever was a GOP TV: "People are lazy. With television you just
sit -- watch -- listen. The thinking is done for you."

"That Nixon staffer was none other than Roger Ailes, who went on to do precisely
what he said. He just called it Fox News instead of GOP TV. Of course, other
members of the media couldn't DARE call out Fox News for its
Republican/conservative bias. Even though its in writing by its fucking
founder/president 46 years ago and in a Presidential Library."
a***@yahoo.com
2017-07-09 15:42:29 UTC
Wow, I thought it was the Reagan administration who came up with "Nattering Nabobs". YRDLSH Are there any Nabobs that don't natter?
Les Albert
2017-07-09 16:32:58 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Questor
"Not for nothing, but about a year later in 1970, Nixon's Executive Producer for
Media came up with a 15-page plan to combat those "Nattering Nabobs" of Liberal
Media.
Wow, I thought it was the Reagan administration who came up with "Nattering Nabobs". YRDLSH Are there any Nabobs that don't natter?
It was Spiro Agnew while speaking to the California Republican state
convention on September 11, 1970:
Wielding a rhetorical style that might be described as
“surrealist-alliterative,” Agnew denounced opponents of the war in
Vietnam as “an effete corps of impudent snobs”—as “ideological
eunuchs,” “professional anarchists,” and (strangely, wonderfully)
“vultures who sit in trees.” Never before or since has a populist
attack come swathed in such purple raiment.
Nixon could not fail to be impressed. And so he dispatched Agnew to
map out a cultural description of another enemy, the op-ed
unfriendlies and the network mandarins of what was beginning to be
called the media. The views of “this little group of men” who “live
and work in the geographical and intellectual confines of Washington,
D.C., or New York City,” Agnew noted darkly, “do not represent the
views of America.” He inscribed himself in history, and in
famous-quotation anthologies, forever, when he said, “In the United
States today, we have more than our share of nattering nabobs of
negativism. They have formed their own 4-H club—the hopeless,
hysterical hypochondriacs of history.” -
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2006/07/10/nattering-nabob

Les
bill van
2017-07-09 18:33:21 UTC
Post by Les Albert
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Questor
[...]
Not to forget that Spiro Agnew didn't have the brains to string two
alliterating words together, let alone three. The speech was written
by William Safire, who at the time was -- wait for it -- a
speechwriter.
bill
a***@yahoo.com
Hey, I don't have the brains to bring two alliterating words together either..
Les Albert

Les
John Mc.
2017-07-10 02:17:44 UTC
Post by Les Albert
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by bill van
Not to forget that Spiro Agnew didn't have the brains to string two
alliterating words together, let alone three. The speech was written
by William Safire, who at the time was -- wait for it -- a
speechwriter.
Hey, I don't have the brains to bring two alliterating words together either..
Arty for President!
Les
Given the current one's qualifications Arty is overqualified.

John Mc.
Les Albert
2017-07-09 23:56:32 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by Les Albert
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2006/07/10/nattering-nabobs
Not to forget that Spiro Agnew didn't have the brains to string two
alliterating words together, let alone three. The speech was written
by William Safire, who at the time was -- wait for it -- a
speechwriter.
That is revealed in the article cited above. Also in that 2006
article is the following, that sounds almost exactly like what is
happening today:

In the wake of the Administration’s record of dishonesty and
incompetence in Iraq and the consequent decline in the President’s
domestic polling numbers, it is not hard to discern why the White
House might find a convenient enemy in the editors of the Times: this
is an election year. The assault on the Times is a no-lose situation
for the White House. ... At the same time, by smearing the Times for
the delectation of the Republican “base,” the Administration could
direct attention away from its failures, including, last week, the
Supreme Court’s decision to block its plans ....

Les
Les Albert
2017-07-09 23:59:12 UTC
Post by Les Albert
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Questor
[...]
CORRECTION: add an "s" to the last word in the address so it becomes
"nabobs".

Les
Greg Goss
2017-07-10 03:33:33 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Questor
"Not for nothing, but about a year later in 1970, Nixon's Executive Producer for
Media came up with a 15-page plan to combat those "Nattering Nabobs" of Liberal
Media.
Wow, I thought it was the Reagan administration who came up with "Nattering Nabobs". YRDLSH Are there any Nabobs that don't natter?
When I was growing up, Nabob was the standard brand of affordable
spices and coffee at the local supermarkets.

(quick google). The Nabob coffee brand is still around, though it's
been eaten by Kraft.
http://www.kraftcanada.com/brands/nabob/nabob-story

I wonder if they were ever the same company? I can't find any
reference to spices on the coffee company's history page, and the
logos on the images search don't match at all.
http://tinyurl.com/yd7duwxx