Seeking Your Opinion
Tim Wright
2016-09-10 02:23:00 UTC
My wife and I have an ongoing disagreement. If I, cane in hand, am
hobbling across a parking lot and have to walk between cars and step up
on a curb, I will often put my hand on the fender of one of the vehicles
to help myself step up onto the curb. My wife feels that I am going to
get my ass kicked some day because I shouldn't be touching someone
else's vehicle. How do you feel about this? Would you begrudge a gimp
a helping hand?
--
“What did you expect? Welcome, sonny? Make yourself at home? Marry my
daughter? You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers.

Tim W
Les Albert
2016-09-10 03:12:46 UTC
Post by Tim Wright
My wife and I have an ongoing disagreement. If I, cane in hand, am
hobbling across a parking lot and have to walk between cars and step up
on a curb, I will often put my hand on the fender of one of the vehicles
to help myself step up onto the curb. My wife feels that I am going to
get my ass kicked some day because I shouldn't be touching someone
else's vehicle. How do you feel about this? Would you begrudge a gimp
a helping hand?
Your wife is right, and she is the one who should be lending a helping
hand for you to step up on the curb. I don't think even the most
Trumpian of car owners would hit a hobbling guy who uses a cane, but
you never know and I guess that's why you carry a gun in your pocket.

Les
Cheetah99218
2016-09-10 13:54:51 UTC
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
My wife and I have an ongoing disagreement. If I, cane in hand, am
hobbling across a parking lot and have to walk between cars and step up
on a curb, I will often put my hand on the fender of one of the vehicles
to help myself step up onto the curb. My wife feels that I am going to
get my ass kicked some day because I shouldn't be touching someone
else's vehicle. How do you feel about this? Would you begrudge a gimp
a helping hand?
Your wife is right, and she is the one who should be lending a helping
hand for you to step up on the curb. I don't think even the most
Trumpian of car owners would hit a hobbling guy who uses a cane, but
you never know and I guess that's why you carry a gun in your pocket.
Les
When I see anyone touching a car that isn't theirs, I always think
"They're going to set off the car alarm."
Les Albert
2016-09-10 15:53:37 UTC
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
My wife and I have an ongoing disagreement. If I, cane in hand, am
hobbling across a parking lot and have to walk between cars and step up
on a curb, I will often put my hand on the fender of one of the vehicles
to help myself step up onto the curb. My wife feels that I am going to
get my ass kicked some day because I shouldn't be touching someone
else's vehicle. How do you feel about this? Would you begrudge a gimp
a helping hand?
Your wife is right, and she is the one who should be lending a helping
hand for you to step up on the curb. I don't think even the most
Trumpian of car owners would hit a hobbling guy who uses a cane, but
you never know and I guess that's why you carry a gun in your pocket.
Les
When I see anyone touching a car that isn't theirs, I always think
"They're going to set off the car alarm."
That suggests a funny scenario: as the guy hobbles through the parking
lot touching cars, many alarms start going off at the same time. The
shopping area becomes empty as people come running out to see if their
car is being attacked, several of them carrying store items that they
haven't yet paid for (or do they just ignore the noise the way most
people disregard car alarms?).

Les
Tim Wright
2016-09-10 16:13:24 UTC
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
To clarify, I have yet to set off a car alarm.

Tim W
Les Albert
2016-09-10 23:03:14 UTC
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
But think of the fun you could have by following my scenario. Even if
you are caught in the act nobody will hit a man who uses a cane. The
worst that could happen to you is a night in jail.

Les
Tim Wright
2016-09-10 23:51:37 UTC
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
I find your phrasing odd. "Caught in the act" implies mischief on my
part. I am causing no damage, leaving no mark with the possible
exception of a hand print. As far as spending a night in jail,
BT,DT,GTTS, do not really want to repeat.

Tim W
Les Albert
2016-09-10 23:58:39 UTC
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
I find your thought process odd. Being caught intentionally setting
off car alarms and leaving hand prints on cars is considered being
caught in the act.

Les
Lee Ayrton
2016-09-11 16:45:53 UTC
Post by Les Albert
That suggests a funny scenario: as the guy hobbles through the parking
lot touching cars, many alarms start going off at the same time. The
shopping area becomes empty as people come running out to see if their
car is being attacked, several of them carrying store items that they
haven't yet paid for (or do they just ignore the noise the way most
people disregard car alarms?).
I once again repeat my call for all car alarms to come equipped with
radio-linked shock collars. Wearing the collars will be mandated by law
if the car's alarm is audible in any way.

Failure to comply will cause the vehicle to be towed directly to a
car-crushing facility.
Snidely
2016-09-12 06:22:46 UTC
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
The purpose of car alarms is to annoy the innocent bystander. (not
original, but I can't provide a citation to the author I stole it from)

For some of the alarms, the car battery will run down before the owner
does anything.

/dps
--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered
Bradley Wertheim, theAtlantic.com, Jan 10 2013
bill van
2016-09-12 07:03:39 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
I hear quite a few of them where I have lived for roughly 25 years, with
lots of street parking nearby. I've never heard one go on for more than
about 30 seconds, except for one or two cars that were being towed at
the time and were getting their alarm cycles set off again and again two
or three times a second.

Can you even set them to keep going for more than a few minutes? That
would be mightily antisocial behaviour. I'd be tempted to head out with
a crowbar and beat that thing until it stopped whining.
bill
Osmium
2016-09-12 12:54:08 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by Snidely
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
I added one of my own design after my car was stolen and badly damaged, it
had no time limit. One night, very late, I set it off myself and I could see
that there was a guy watching me. I fumbled around, managed to get it
turned off and drove away. They guy did absolutely nothing.
Tim Wright
2016-09-12 13:15:07 UTC
Post by Osmium
Post by bill van
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
[...]
Generally the most common active response to a car alarm is a shout of,
"Turn that shit off!"
--
The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get
worse every time Congress meets.

Tim W
Charles Bishop
2016-09-12 17:26:59 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by Snidely
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
Here's my recollection[1] - when car alarms first came out, they went
off continuously until they were turned off. The theory being, I think
that this would keep thieves away and the owner would come out, tout de
suite, to turn the blasted thing off. This didn't work as planned, and
people got upset. It turns out that people don't rush out to keep
someone from breaking into someone else's vehicle[2]. Then, I think
alarms were designed to go loud when disturbed, and this lasts for a
short time (seconds? minutes?) and then it shuts off, perhaps waking up
a bit later (minutes?) and yelling again in case the bad guys are
lurking. Still, I don't think that people would interfere, personally,
with someone near a vehicle with the alarm going off.[3]

I still hear them every so often, but amn't interested enough to look
for details, so I don't know what the current state of car alarms going
off is.

[1] Which is certain to be faulty, but that's how you get information -
by posting such on the internet, then sifting

[2] When I first got my truck, and a key fob that would lock, unlock
and set an alarm, I found myself setting off the alarm and not being
able to shut it off, whether from lack of knowledge or skill, I wot not.
One time, it was going off, tried everything even disconnecting the
battery, waiting and then putting it back on with no good result. I
ended up driving away (I can show you the streets I drove down) with the
alarm going, for about 5-10 minutes, before it finally stopped of its
own accord.

[3] I watched someone get into a vehicle with some trouble with the
alarm going off. I called the SFPD after observing for a while, but the
vehicle drove off before I finished the phone call.
charles
Snidely
2016-09-13 07:51:04 UTC
Post by Charles Bishop
Post by bill van
Post by Snidely
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
I've been given to understand (by the author rumored above) that car
alarms were invented in the 1930s. Probably using relays, not tubes.
Post by Charles Bishop
This didn't work as planned, and
people got upset.
Yes.
Post by Charles Bishop
It turns out that people don't rush out to keep
someone from breaking into someone else's vehicle[2]. Then, I think
alarms were designed to go loud when disturbed, and this lasts for a
short time (seconds? minutes?) and then it shuts off, perhaps waking up
a bit later (minutes?) and yelling again in case the bad guys are
lurking. Still, I don't think that people would interfere, personally,
with someone near a vehicle with the alarm going off.[3]
Owners are more likely to act nervous about the alarm than car thieves
are, from what I can tell.

/dps
--
There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are
ask. (R. Lerhman, CSMonitor.com)
Lesmond
2016-09-16 00:23:14 UTC
Post by Charles Bishop
I still hear them every so often, but amn't interested enough
Amn't. You said "amn't". You have made me happy.
--
She may contain the urge to run away
But hold her down with soggy clothes and breeze blocks
Les Albert
2016-09-12 16:16:24 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Les Albert
Post by Cheetah99218
Post by Les Albert
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
Yes, the battery will run down, but
"Car alarm usually takes in a very small amount of current thus a very
small amount of power even if it takes about 0.5W, if that car has a
65AHr battery which is 780Whr battery so even after that draw that car
battery would last 1560Hours, that is more than two months, so yes it
can drain the battery but it will take ... ".
http://tinyurl.com/j96zz23

Les
Alfalfa Bill
What are you, a socialist? Your need for support does not give you a right to use someone else's property. Messing with another dude's car can get you a year in county jail in the State of Oklahoma.
Charles Bishop
2016-09-11 01:44:19 UTC
In article <69f8c9f4-4300-463f-9dbe-***@googlegroups.com>,
Alfalfa Bill <***@aol.com> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Alfalfa Bill
What are you, a socialist? Your need for support does not give you a right
to use someone else's property. Messing with another dude's car can get you
a year in county jail in the State of Oklahoma.
Speaking of the fine state of OK, Kristin Chenoweth was on WWDTM, and
mentioned that she was from Oklahoma. She also said, in response to a
question from one of the panel, that she did indeed say "Bless your
(his/her) heart, and not in a kind way. Not so much any more though, she
avered.

Made me miss Kay.
charles
Boron Elgar
2016-09-11 14:58:02 UTC
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 18:44:19 -0700, Charles Bishop
Post by Charles Bishop
[snip]
Post by Alfalfa Bill
What are you, a socialist? Your need for support does not give you a right
to use someone else's property. Messing with another dude's car can get you
a year in county jail in the State of Oklahoma.
Speaking of the fine state of OK, Kristin Chenoweth was on WWDTM, and
mentioned that she was from Oklahoma. She also said, in response to a
question from one of the panel, that she did indeed say "Bless your
(his/her) heart, and not in a kind way. Not so much any more though, she
avered.
Made me miss Kay.
Kay is alive and well on FB and I am also in communication with her
almost daily. I will tell her about this. She'll get a kick out of it.
Alfalfa Bill
Kristen Chenoweth returns to her home town of Broken Arrow every year to host an event promoting song and music in the public schools. Very classy lady.
Boron Elgar
2016-09-11 23:35:46 UTC
On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 12:47:57 -0700 (PDT), Alfalfa Bill
Post by Alfalfa Bill
Post by Charles Bishop
[snip]
Post by Alfalfa Bill
What are you, a socialist? Your need for support does not give you a right
to use someone else's property. Messing with another dude's car can get you
a year in county jail in the State of Oklahoma.
Speaking of the fine state of OK, Kristin Chenoweth was on WWDTM, and
mentioned that she was from Oklahoma. She also said, in response to a
question from one of the panel, that she did indeed say "Bless your
(his/her) heart, and not in a kind way. Not so much any more though, she
avered.
Made me miss Kay.
Kristen Chenoweth returns to her home town of Broken Arrow every year to host an event promoting song and music in the public schools. Very classy lady.
I am a big fan, have seen her perform a couple of times, first in
Candide, then in On the Twentieth Century.
Charles Bishop
2016-09-12 17:10:31 UTC
Post by Boron Elgar
On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 12:47:57 -0700 (PDT), Alfalfa Bill
Post by Alfalfa Bill
Post by Charles Bishop
[snip]
Post by Alfalfa Bill
What are you, a socialist? Your need for support does not give you a right
to use someone else's property. Messing with another dude's car can get you
a year in county jail in the State of Oklahoma.
Speaking of the fine state of OK, Kristin Chenoweth was on WWDTM, and
mentioned that she was from Oklahoma. She also said, in response to a
question from one of the panel, that she did indeed say "Bless your
(his/her) heart, and not in a kind way. Not so much any more though, she
avered.
Made me miss Kay.
Kristen Chenoweth returns to her home town of Broken Arrow every year to
host an event promoting song and music in the public schools. Very classy
lady.
I am a big fan, have seen her perform a couple of times, first in
Candide, then in On the Twentieth Century.
Never seen her in person, though I'd like to, but she was terrific in
Pushing Daisys, actually in everything I've seen her in.
charles
Bob
Your wife is partly right. You might get your ass kicked some day, but not because you shouldn't be touching someone's vehicle in such an innocent way, rather because someone's going to be a jerk about it.
Brettster
2016-09-10 22:36:45 UTC
Post by Tim Wright
My wife and I have an ongoing disagreement. If I, cane in hand, am
hobbling across a parking lot and have to walk between cars and step up
on a curb, I will often put my hand on the fender of one of the vehicles
to help myself step up onto the curb. My wife feels that I am going to
get my ass kicked some day because I shouldn't be touching someone
else's vehicle. How do you feel about this? Would you begrudge a gimp
a helping hand?
My mother taught me that if I don't have something nice to say, not to say
anything at all. So I'm going to keep my mouth shut about your wife.
Tim Wright
2016-09-10 22:53:24 UTC
Post by Brettster
Post by Tim Wright
My wife and I have an ongoing disagreement. If I, cane in hand, am
hobbling across a parking lot and have to walk between cars and step up
on a curb, I will often put my hand on the fender of one of the vehicles
to help myself step up onto the curb. My wife feels that I am going to
get my ass kicked some day because I shouldn't be touching someone
else's vehicle. How do you feel about this? Would you begrudge a gimp
a helping hand?
My mother taught me that if I don't have something nice to say, not to say
anything at all. So I'm going to keep my mouth shut about your wife.
You may feel free to speak your mind for various reasons.

1. My wife has her faults, but I love her, warts and all.
2. It's unlikely we'll ever meet IRL, so that even if I was angry, it's
unlikely there'd ever be any retribution.
3. It's also unlikely that I'll remember what you say, or who said it
after a day or two.

So it looks like you're three ways safe.

Tim W
Brettster
2016-09-10 23:31:11 UTC
Post by Tim Wright
You may feel free to speak your mind for various reasons.
Well, I mean, she's wrong. Cars are built to withstand the negligible pressure
of a kind, crotchety gentleman needing a lift up. Anybody who gave you a
tongue lashing for touching his vehicle for two and a half seconds needs to
seek immediate counseling.

(Note: UNLESS the car has a bumper sticker that says "Keep your elderly
mitts off my freshly laundered Porsche." In that case, steer clear.)
Tim Wright
2016-09-10 23:53:10 UTC
Post by Brettster
Post by Tim Wright
You may feel free to speak your mind for various reasons.
Well, I mean, she's wrong. Cars are built to withstand the negligible pressure
of a kind, crotchety gentleman needing a lift up. Anybody who gave you a
tongue lashing for touching his vehicle for two and a half seconds needs to
seek immediate counseling.
(Note: UNLESS the car has a bumper sticker that says "Keep your elderly
mitts off my freshly laundered Porsche." In that case, steer clear.)
Thank you. I mean, it's not like it's a motorcycle. I wouldn't do that
to someone's motorcycle.

Tim W
Snidely
2016-09-12 06:26:02 UTC
Post by Brettster
Post by Tim Wright
You may feel free to speak your mind for various reasons.
Well, I mean, she's wrong. Cars are built to withstand the negligible
pressure of a kind, crotchety gentleman needing a lift up. Anybody who gave
you a tongue lashing for touching his vehicle for two and a half seconds
needs to seek immediate counseling.
(Note: UNLESS the car has a bumper sticker that says "Keep your elderly
mitts off my freshly laundered Porsche." In that case, steer clear.)
If the car is black and polished to a very high degree of gloss, I'd
keep my mitts off it. Those owners have already been driven bonkers by
the effort to keep the shine going.

/dps
Who, me? And what lacuna?
Charles Bishop
2016-09-12 17:16:07 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Brettster
Post by Tim Wright
You may feel free to speak your mind for various reasons.
Well, I mean, she's wrong. Cars are built to withstand the negligible
pressure of a kind, crotchety gentleman needing a lift up. Anybody who gave
you a tongue lashing for touching his vehicle for two and a half seconds
needs to seek immediate counseling.
(Note: UNLESS the car has a bumper sticker that says "Keep your elderly
mitts off my freshly laundered Porsche." In that case, steer clear.)
If the car is black and polished to a very high degree of gloss, I'd
keep my mitts off it. Those owners have already been driven bonkers by
the effort to keep the shine going.
A friend of sis's (aue?) was going to buy a new car, and wanted a black
one. "Don't get black everyone told her - it will show all the dust",
and she lives in a desert climate - though I'm now unsure whether this
means more or less "dust". Anyway, she got a black one and was
"surprised" about how much it showed the dust. A fanatic at first about
keeping it dust free, I think she's settled down by now.
charles
Peregrine
2016-09-21 18:40:52 UTC
Post by Brettster
Well, I mean, she's wrong. Cars are built to withstand the negligible pressure
of a kind, crotchety gentleman needing a lift up. Anybody who gave you a
tongue lashing for touching his vehicle for two and a half seconds needs to
seek immediate counseling.
(Note: UNLESS the car has a bumper sticker that says "Keep your elderly
mitts off my freshly laundered Porsche." In that case, steer clear.)
Reminds me of my grandmother yelling at me for leaning against her car:
"You'll scratch the paint, just by your clothes rubbing against it!"
I think it's just a matter of some people get very upset when you touch their
stuff. It's a control thing.

Peregrine
Sanford M. Manley
2016-09-21 23:22:19 UTC
Post by Peregrine
"You'll scratch the paint, just by your clothes rubbing against it!"
I think it's just a matter of some people get very upset when you touch their
stuff. It's a control thing.
I accidentally scratched my own car with my
belt-buckle while washing it. Your grandmother
was right.
Sanford
bill van
2016-09-22 01:47:49 UTC
Post by Sanford M. Manley
Post by Peregrine
"You'll scratch the paint, just by your clothes rubbing against it!"
I think it's just a matter of some people get very upset when you touch their
stuff. It's a control thing.
I accidentally scratched my own car with my
belt-buckle while washing it. Your grandmother
was right.
And she knows how to suck eggs.
bill
Lesmond
2016-09-22 03:42:17 UTC
Post by Sanford M. Manley
Post by Peregrine
"You'll scratch the paint, just by your clothes rubbing against it!"
I think it's just a matter of some people get very upset when you touch their
stuff. It's a control thing.
I accidentally scratched my own car with my
belt-buckle while washing it. Your grandmother
was right.
No, you were careless. The vast majority of clothing is not made out of
metal.
Opus the Penguin
2016-09-14 21:45:43 UTC
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Brettster
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
My takeaway is that some day, by chance, you and I will meet. And you'll
punch me for something Brettster said.
--
Opus the Penguin
Thanks a LOT, Brettster
Tim Wright
2016-09-14 22:58:20 UTC
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Brettster
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
You hurt me sir, what kind of beast would punch a penguin?

Tim W
bill van
2016-09-15 00:07:43 UTC
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Brettster
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
Not a leopard seal. They don't have fists.
bill
Lesmond
2016-09-16 00:25:08 UTC
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Brettster
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
No one anywhere would ever punch you. And if they did, they'd have to
answer to me.
John Mc.
2016-09-16 08:50:49 UTC
Post by Lesmond
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Tim Wright
Post by Brettster
Post by Tim Wright
[...]
Forget the marines. Send in Lesmond.

John Mc.
Lee Ayrton
2016-09-11 16:42:46 UTC
Post by Tim Wright
My wife and I have an ongoing disagreement. If I, cane in hand, am
hobbling across a parking lot and have to walk between cars and step up
on a curb, I will often put my hand on the fender of one of the vehicles
to help myself step up onto the curb. My wife feels that I am going to
get my ass kicked some day because I shouldn't be touching someone
else's vehicle. How do you feel about this? Would you begrudge a gimp
a helping hand?
I wouldn't begrudge a gimp a helping hand, but people have been shot in
the face for far less.
Boron Elgar
I've seen a lot of movies where people get shot in the face.
John Mc.
2016-09-12 00:33:07 UTC
Post by Tim Wright
My wife and I have an ongoing disagreement. If I, cane in hand, am
hobbling across a parking lot and have to walk between cars and step up
on a curb, I will often put my hand on the fender of one of the vehicles
to help myself step up onto the curb. My wife feels that I am going to
get my ass kicked some day because I shouldn't be touching someone
else's vehicle. How do you feel about this? Would you begrudge a gimp
a helping hand?
Tim, your hand lightly no problem. Your hand with a sweating drink cup NO.

John Mc.
Questor
2017-08-02 18:28:12 UTC
Post by Tim Wright
My wife and I have an ongoing disagreement. If I, cane in hand, am
hobbling across a parking lot and have to walk between cars and step up
on a curb, I will often put my hand on the fender of one of the vehicles
to help myself step up onto the curb. My wife feels that I am going to
get my ass kicked some day because I shouldn't be touching someone
else's vehicle. How do you feel about this? Would you begrudge a gimp
a helping hand?
I think everything started going to hell when they stopped teaching Latin
in schools.

Well, the subject did say you were seeking my opinion...
a***@yahoo.com
2017-08-02 18:40:58 UTC
Post by Questor
I think everything started going to hell when they stopped teaching Latin
in schools.
No, that's when things started to go to Orcus.