Do not wash Levi's jeans?
Gus
2014-05-23 02:42:58 UTC
http://www.theonion.com/articles/levi-strauss-ceo-stop-washing-your-jeans,36105/

How many people clean things by putting them in the freezer? And for
how long? Does this work for washing dishes, and clothes in general?
Will getting in the freezer replace taking a bath or shower?
Stanley Daniel de Liver
2014-05-23 09:24:28 UTC
Post by Gus
http://www.theonion.com/articles/levi-strauss-ceo-stop-washing-your-jeans,36105/
How many people clean things by putting them in the freezer? And for
how long? Does this work for washing dishes, and clothes in general?
Will getting in the freezer replace taking a bath or shower?
It's nonsense - use the microwave oven as god intended.
It's a money /life balance.
Gus
I wonder why microwave clothes dryers don't exist.
k***@yahoo.com
You do know about The Onion, don't you?
Gus
2014-05-24 20:08:22 UTC
Post by k***@yahoo.com
Post by Gus
http://www.theonion.com/articles/levi-strauss-ceo-stop-washing-your-jeans,36105/
How many people clean things by putting them in the freezer? And for
how long? Does this work for washing dishes, and clothes in general?
Will getting in the freezer replace taking a bath or shower?
You do know about The Onion, don't you?
The American Voices section is not parody, you know? The "people"
polled are, but not the story being commented on.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/22/living/dont-wash-jeans-levis-ceo/
Heather
Heather
Gus
leroy
Ghost of Somebody
2014-05-26 10:55:39 UTC
Post by Heather
Post by k***@yahoo.com
Post by Gus
http://www.theonion.com/articles/levi-strauss-ceo-stop-washing-your-jeans,36105/
How many people clean things by putting them in the freezer? And for
how long? Does this work for washing dishes, and clothes in general?
Will getting in the freezer replace taking a bath or shower?
You do know about The Onion, don't you?
He is a troll.
She's an idiot.

It's fun labelling people for other people and seeing things in black
and white. Dealing with gradations and making intelligent comments is
too much work! KISS.
Mary
2014-05-26 22:15:28 UTC
Post by Ghost of Somebody
Post by Heather
Post by k***@yahoo.com
Post by Gus
http://www.theonion.com/articles/levi-strauss-ceo-stop-washing-your-jeans,36105/
How many people clean things by putting them in the freezer? And for
how long? Does this work for washing dishes, and clothes in general?
Will getting in the freezer replace taking a bath or shower?
You do know about The Onion, don't you?
He is a troll.
She's an idiot.
No, it's not fun, but sometimes it's accurate. And Heather is right.

Mary
Gus
2014-05-26 23:08:56 UTC
Post by Mary
Post by Ghost of Somebody
Post by Heather
Post by k***@yahoo.com
Post by Gus
http://www.theonion.com/articles/levi-strauss-ceo-stop-washing-your-jeans,36105/
How many people clean things by putting them in the freezer? And for
how long? Does this work for washing dishes, and clothes in general?
Will getting in the freezer replace taking a bath or shower?
You do know about The Onion, don't you?
He is a troll.
She's an idiot.
No, it's not fun, but sometimes it's accurate. And Heather is right.
Mary
Whatever happened to discussing ideas, instead of making derogatory
personal comments?

This place is less and less interesting, soon it will just be floatsam
and jetsam... Entropy can apply to information, can it also apply to
newsgroups and the final heat death of anything interesting being
posted?

I've had three people feel the need to point out I posted something
from The Onion and I'm a troll. So don't discuss what was posted, you
are feeding the troll. And the know. The American Voice section and
AV Club are not parody. But it's easier to just reject out of hand.
Research and thinking are hard. Maybe in your fields you do, or did.
I don't see it here. Heather, Mary, and N J. Come across as people
that could work at Fox News. Attack the person, don't discuss issues
the person raised. Circle the wagons and ostracize the Other till they
are gone.
Snidely
2014-05-26 23:23:05 UTC
Post by Gus
Heather, Mary, and N J. Come across as people
that could work at Fox News. Attack the person, don't discuss issues
the person raised. Circle the wagons and ostracize the Other till they
are gone.
Most of the rest of us do not find that to be the case.

NJill is a poster that I don't think we see enough of. Her
contributions are lucid, she has interesting experiences to share, she
has a professional background that gives interesting insights. She
does not make knee-jerk reactions to anyone that I can see. I try to
keep my knees anchored down, but I don't do as well as she does.

Mary posts more about travel than any other subject, by the fingers I
use to count by. I'm pretty sure she has welcomed new people to the
group, but she does get turned off by bull-shitters (and you aren't her
biggest target).

I don't remember Heather ever turning on a newcomer just because they
were new. She does turn on Rupert Murdoch fairly frequently.

I'm sure that many of us would be surprised by how the world looked if
we actually stood in someone else's shoes, but I'd be surprised to find
that the people you are reacting to are negative about your posts
because you are new or a member of Other.

/dps
--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.
<http://www.sqlite.org/lang_expr.html>
bill van
2014-05-27 00:34:51 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Gus
[...]
It's entirely content-based. But he knows that, and he's just getting
what he wants: your attention.
bill
Gus
2014-05-27 01:37:15 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Gus
[...]
It's entirely content-based. But he knows that, and he's just getting attention
what he wants: your attention.
If you knew me, that makes no sense. I'm a very shy person. last
thing I want is attention (to myself)... Attention to ideas, and
discussion, sure. More the merrier.

Why Bill has so much anger. I dunno. I do piss off some people when
I speak my mind, or talk back to people that label me. Why Bill goes
on another ng and feels the need to warn everyone about a horrible
troll, me, more than once-- I dunno why anyone does that. I never
have. It must chap Bill's ass when some people actually reply
thoughtfully to me. Some do!... Well, not everyone likes me. I'm ok
with me. People that want to hate, fuck them. I am who I am. My life
has just as much meaning as anyone else's on the planet. And I can
say what I want, and some can make ad hominein-- "he's a troll!"
attacks. That diminishes the discussion and everyone involved.

Anyway, this is boring and been done to death.

Stompf
Gus
2014-05-27 01:27:22 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Gus
[...]
or
/dps
They all said derogatory things about *me*, along with the Bills and
Pastime... I'm no saint but who is? Should we psycho analyze
everyone here? It my not be pretty. Snidely generously said I was
not a troll but just a sad lonely desperate person that asks
questions. Thanks! Can I analyze him long distance from some of his
posts? I'm not going to do that because... I don't know Snidely.
Never talked to him or met him in real life.

I've never said bad things about anyone without them first saying
something snarky and hurtful.

When I mentioned my colonscopy Heather basically said too bad I'm not
dying of ass cancer. Nice. Is she like that in real life? And
earlier, the Bills basically said I should just die.

I am a human being that does read the shit people post.

There are many people here that are welcoming, and enjoy discussing
things. Those people are great. The petty, gossipping, angry people
I could do without.
Snidely
2014-05-27 04:07:24 UTC
Post by Gus
Can I analyze him long distance from some of his
posts? I'm not going to do that because... I don't know Snidely.
Never talked to him or met him in real life.
Certainly. It is essentially impossible for me to keep some of my
personality from showing in my posts, and to completely disguise my
attitudes. And there are enough posts that I've made here that all
those little crumbs should add up to much of a picture.

I think the only AFCAn I've met in person is Dover. She can tell you
how much I differ in person from how I present myself here, at least
based on how I presented myself at supper. I think I've talked to
BillT once on the phone, trying to sync schedules, but that's not much
to go on, I suppose.

I think it might be amusing for you to look back at the archives a
couple of years ago (or maybe four ... time flies when you're a banana)
when I was trying to interpret Prof David to the group. Background
info: Prof David is someone who no longer has time for the group, but
he was adept at lecturing us. At one time, _he_ was the high poster in
AFCA. Anyway, you'll no doubt get a chuckle over my fumbled postings
from that period. Might help your analysis skills to practice on
those.
Post by Gus
There are many people here that are welcoming, and enjoy discussing
things. Those people are great. The petty, gossipping, angry people
I could do without.
The people you have called petty, gossiping, angry people are not.
You've pushed Bill's buttons, hard, whether you intended to or not.
From my dealings with my ex, I know that having had a button pushed
tends to leave it half pushed the rest of the time, so subsequent
provocations don't need to be as provoking to be effective.

/dps
Snidely
2014-05-27 05:47:33 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Gus
Can I analyze him long distance from some of his
posts? I'm not going to do that because... I don't know Snidely.
Never talked to him or met him in real life.
Certainly. It is essentially impossible for me to keep some of my
personality from showing in my posts, and to completely disguise my
attitudes. And there are enough posts that I've made here that all those
little crumbs should add up to much of a picture.
Note that there is a smaller number of my posts in AUE, though they
still count in the big picture. There is also a history of me in
sci.space.*. Very long ago, I even made posts in rec.arts.tv.drwho
(if I remember the group name correctly).

/dps
--
"That's a good sort of hectic, innit?"

" Very much so, and I'd recommend the haggis wontons."
-njm
bill van
2014-05-27 06:07:25 UTC
Post by Snidely
Note that there is a smaller number of my posts in AUE, though they
still count in the big picture. There is also a history of me in
sci.space.*. Very long ago, I even made posts in rec.arts.tv.drwho
(if I remember the group name correctly).
Hah. My stated preference for Tom Baker's Doctor Who got me a DVD for
Christmas: The Genesis of the Daleks, six episodes. Don't tell the
people who gave it to me, but the Baker Doctor's personality is the only
thing of value in those episodes. The writing is crappy, the acting is
atrocious, the production values are nil, the sets are boring corridors
in the BBC basement.

The 21st-century Doctor Whos are so much better in every way. Better
actors, much better scripts, infinitely larger special-effects budgets,
better-looking companions, a significant amount of wit. Can't wait for
the next season.
bill
Howard Hol
2014-05-27 13:37:02 UTC
Post by bill van
better-looking companions, a significant amount of wit. Can't wait for
the next season.
A little while ago I watched the only old series Dr. Who I've seen, one
where Tom Baker and a blonde companion were dashing around Paris to
expose a time travelling monster who was forging copies of the Mona
Lisa.

The concept's not bad for a Dr. Who. The special effects were weak, but
I could overlook that. Baker clearly was clued in to the way to make a
show like that work, but it seemed like nobody else was. The pacing was
odd, as though things hadn't been rehearsed, or maybe even people were
reading from cue cards. If I were to make a wild guess, it would be
that the production was so hurried that the actors didn't get the
scripts until it was time to shoot, and neither the actors nor the
director had time to pull things together. I wonder if maybe they also
didn't do multiple takes, and pretty much had to go with the first
version that was shot with no chance to fix things through editing.

It's also possible they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for
supporting actors -- there was a scientist with a horrible foreign
accent that made me think of somebody from Star Trek -- the Russian guy,
maybe?
Gus
ok, and astute observation and analogy.
Mary
2014-05-27 22:43:41 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Gus
[...]
Thanks, Snidely. You're correct - I don't care if you're new, and as
far as I'm concerned there are no Others until people make themselves
Others.

Gus, if you'd stop shit-bombing the newsgroup you might find your
experience here a bit different.

Mary
Gus
2014-05-28 02:31:30 UTC
Post by Mary
Post by Snidely
I don't remember Heather ever turning on a newcomer just because they
were new. She does turn on Rupert Murdoch fairly frequently.
You mean, she watches Fox news? That is sentence is ambiguous in more
than one way, one of which I don't want to think about.
Post by Mary
Post by Snidely
I'm sure that many of us would be surprised by how the world looked if
we actually stood in someone else's shoes, but I'd be surprised to find
that the people you are reacting to are negative about your posts
because you are new or a member of Other.
Thanks, Snidely. You're correct - I don't care if you're new, and as
far as I'm concerned there are no Others until people make themselves
Others.
Gus, if you'd stop shit-bombing the newsgroup you might find your
experience here a bit different.
Mary
ok.

I have better behaved, but some don't notice or want to notice.
Sometimes, I get over-stimulated or something, personal problem...
Snidely's comments were wise.
Stanley Daniel de Liver
2014-05-28 10:07:54 UTC
Post by Gus
Post by Mary
Post by Snidely
I'm sure that many of us would be surprised by how the world looked if
we actually stood in someone else's shoes, but I'd be surprised to find
that the people you are reacting to are negative about your posts
because you are new or a member of Other.
Thanks, Snidely. You're correct - I don't care if you're new, and as
far as I'm concerned there are no Others until people make themselves
Others.
Gus, if you'd stop shit-bombing the newsgroup you might find your
experience here a bit different.
Mary
ok.
I have better behaved, but some don't notice or want to notice.
Sometimes, I get over-stimulated or something, personal problem...
Snidely's comments were wise.
Thing is, people notice and remember the bad behaviour, it takes a lot of
good behaviour to forgive that. I should know.
It's a money /life balance.
Snidely
2014-05-29 05:46:19 UTC
Post by Gus
Post by Mary
Post by Snidely
[...]
"One 'oh shit' uses up a whole lot of 'attaboys'"

(programming proverb)

/dps
Ieri, oggi, domani
Gus
2014-05-29 06:25:59 UTC
Post by Gus
Post by Mary
Post by Snidely
[...]
Epictetus proposed that it is not the event that upsets one, but how
one perceives the event... What upsets people is not things
themselves but their judgments about the things.[1]

[1] This does not apply to intentional physical attacks by another
person upon another.
Gus
2014-05-29 06:33:17 UTC
Post by Gus
Post by Mary
Post by Snidely
[...]
"True education, Epictetus believed, consists in recognizing that the
only thing that belongs to an individual fully is his will. Humans are
not responsible for the ideas that present themselves to their
consciousness, though they are wholly responsible for how they react
to them."

I was judt trying to find out how to pronounce Epictetus.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/epictetus
N J Marsh
2014-06-02 23:13:14 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Gus
Heather, Mary, and N J. Come across as people
that could work at Fox News. Attack the person, don't discuss issues
the person raised. Circle the wagons and ostracize the Other till they
are gone.
Most of the rest of us do not find that to be the case.
NJill is a poster that I don't think we see enough of. Her
contributions are lucid, she has interesting experiences to share, she
has a professional background that gives interesting insights. She does
not make knee-jerk reactions to anyone that I can see. I try to keep my
knees anchored down, but I don't do as well as she does.
I missed this, Snidely, because I am am indulging in Mary's favourite past
time. Thank you, and smoochies to you. Gus is sulky with me due to the lack
of indulgences, of which you deserve many.

Gus' shit list is notable due to the common factor.
Post by Snidely
Mary posts more about travel than any other subject, by the fingers I
use to count by. I'm pretty sure she has welcomed new people to the
group, but she does get turned off by bull-shitters (and you aren't her
biggest target).
I don't remember Heather ever turning on a newcomer just because they
were new. She does turn on Rupert Murdoch fairly frequently.
I don't think anyone in this newsgroup does that, though there's a related
one that did (does).
Post by Snidely
I'm sure that many of us would be surprised by how the world looked if
we actually stood in someone else's shoes, but I'd be surprised to find
that the people you are reacting to are negative about your posts
because you are new or a member of Other.
Thanks, Snidely. You're correct - I don't care if you're new, and as far
as I'm concerned there are no Others until people make themselves Others.
Gus, if you'd stop shit-bombing the newsgroup you might find your
experience here a bit different.
Seagulls don't care, Mary.

(Seagulls, I'm current, trying to set up a reunion with a sibling who is at
Arromanches, sheparding a dude whose last visit to that coast was done the
hard way. It's funny that I see most of my siblings when we are on the
wrong continent.
njm
Gus
2014-06-02 23:54:53 UTC
Post by N J Marsh
Post by Snidely
I'm sure that many of us would be surprised by how the world looked if
we actually stood in someone else's shoes, but I'd be surprised to find
that the people you are reacting to are negative about your posts
because you are new or a member of Other.
Thanks, Snidely. You're correct - I don't care if you're new, and as far
as I'm concerned there are no Others until people make themselves Others.
Gus, if you'd stop shit-bombing the newsgroup you might find your
experience here a bit different.
Seagulls don't care, Mary.
(Seagulls, I'm current, trying to set up a reunion with a sibling who is at
Arromanches, sheparding a dude whose last visit to that coast was done the
hard way. It's funny that I see most of my siblings when we are on the
wrong continent.
I apparently have issues... be nice