Donnybrook
Peter Boulding
2018-10-07 16:45:23 UTC
My word of the day -- new to me but still current, according to the OED, in
the US and the Anti-Podes:

Donnybrook: a scene of uproar and disorder; a riotous or uproarious
meeting; a heated argument.

Great word, and delightful derivation: it comes from the Irish "Domhnach
Broc", meaning "The Church of Saint Broc". This was the name of an Irish
town--now a suburb of Dublin--but over the centuries it morphed into
"Donnybrook".

Donnybrook was long famous for its annual fair--which, in turn, was famous
for its many (usually drunken) fights that quickly escalated into brawls,
and thence into riots.

From urbandictionary.com: "A donnybrook often takes place in a pub(bar) or
on some occasions, the house of an Irish family. A donnybrook often involves
heavy alcohol use, and anybody in the place the donnybrook happens. The end
of a donnybrook usually results in missing teeth, lacerations to the head,
scars, scrapes, and bruises to the body. If you ever hear of a donnybrook
starting at the place you're in, either run, or participate and be prepared
for all of the above fleshwounds the next morning."

(I came across the word in a western, which referred to an approaching storm
that "looked like it was going to be a real Donnybrook".)
--
Regards, Peter Boulding
***@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Fractal Music: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=794240&content=music
a***@yahoo.com
I know a married couple named Donny and Brook(e). I have never seen them argue in public. They have joked about it.
Beaver Fever
I knew Donnie Brooks
Howard
2018-10-08 00:36:14 UTC
Post by Peter Boulding
My word of the day -- new to me but still current, according to the
Donnybrook: a scene of uproar and disorder; a riotous or uproarious
meeting; a heated argument.
Great word, and delightful derivation: it comes from the Irish
"Domhnach Broc", meaning "The Church of Saint Broc". This was the name
of an Irish town--now a suburb of Dublin--but over the centuries it
morphed into "Donnybrook".
On the subject of not so common terms involving historical violence in
Ireland, I learned of the Black and Tans in post First World War Ireland
when I recently read A Star Called Henry by Roddy Doyle.

I'd long known of the beer mixture called Black and Tan, but hadn't
realized the phrase also referred to the brutal paramilitary force sent
to hound the IRA.

Evidently some corporations also didn't know of the bad vibes of the
term -- Ben and Jerry's had an ice cream they released on St. Patrick's
Day called Black and Tan, and Nike had Black and Tan shoes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tan
Kerr-Mudd,John
2018-10-08 10:03:31 UTC
Post by Howard
Post by Peter Boulding
[...]
Black and Amber is the PC version.
http://www.blackandambers.co.uk/Home/Page
(not violent at all, honest)
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
rrhersh@acme.com
2018-10-08 13:22:56 UTC
Post by Peter Boulding
My word of the day -- new to me but still current, according to the OED, in
Donnybrook: a scene of uproar and disorder; a riotous or uproarious
meeting; a heated argument.
Current, but not common. It is readily understandable, but should only be used when aiming for a colorful, or even comic, effect.

Richard R. Hershberger