"Encanto" stinks
Bob
2022-07-31 15:15:33 UTC
My friend and housemate Don wanted to see this award-winning movie at last night's outdoor showing in Memory Park in Newton NJ, so we went. Less than an hour into it I found myself doing astronomy, as it was a beautiful clear night and the field lights were off.

The first 20 minutes gave me the impression (which was not dispelled by the rest of it) that the makers wanted to sell it for people to buy and rewind often to watch in slow motion. You can't follow the computer-animated action, it's so fast and visually spectacular, with very fast operatic monolog to music. So it's dazzling but incomprehensible. That's OK, except for one main point, it's irrelevant anyway. Although it keeps distracting you, where it's all going is telegraphed very shortly after the opening.

What semblance of plot is discernible is trivial, and one you've seen many times before and may well know from real life, minus the allegoric magic: a well-meaning but insensitive and controlling matriarch. The conclusion avoids the predictable-but-good idea which would've been, now we'll live like normal people, what's wrong with that, huh? Instead it presents the also-predictable-but-evil Disney idea that all the magic is restored, magically.

Oh, and the setting, if you can figure it out, appears to be a rehash of Hanuka. It's people restoring their lives after some delay after an invasion, with a flame that inexplicably keeps burning, symbolic of miracle. But that too seems like a distraction from the main action in the movie.

Bob in Andover
Les Albert
2022-08-01 18:32:04 UTC
Post by Bob
[...]
I have not seen the movie so I can't say if your review is good or
bad. But I am puzzled by your statement above, "Instead it presents
the also-predictable-but-evil Disney idea that all the magic is
restored, magically.". Why is that an evil idea?

Les
Bob
If the story be taken as allegory that would otherwise say maintaining good relationships takes work, but says instead good relationships just fall into place and things get done without effort (because of what's coming to us), then it's evil.
Les Albert
2022-08-02 17:08:45 UTC
Post by Bob
Post by Les Albert
Post by Bob
[...]
That's your take on the movie as a an older educated adult.
I wouldn't expect kids who see the movie to take a life-lesson from
it, anymore than they would be influenced by a Daffy Duck cartoon.
It's a fantasy, and I think kids realize that.
Anyway, https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2022/08/02
or https://tinyurl.com/mrymft32

Les
fanny subhan
2022-08-10 11:55:32 UTC
Post by Les Albert
Post by Bob
Post by Les Albert
Post by Bob
[...]
I found this post very interesting and informative. Thank you for sharing your special thoughts with us. I definitely share this with my peeps.
https://subhandecor.com/pc/metal-candle-holder/
Les Albert
2022-08-10 18:44:25 UTC
On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 04:55:32 -0700 (PDT), fanny subhan
Post by fanny subhan
Post by Les Albert
Post by Bob
Post by Les Albert
Post by Bob
[...]
Who are your peeps? I pleased you share my special thoughts.
Here are my peeps to share with your peeps:

Les
Paul
2022-09-14 11:43:27 UTC
High vouched by many,
we got variety of buds
carts of various types
Wax/Shatter
dabs
Live resin
Chocolate bars
Edibles
etc
Contact us below Via.

Text or Call:+1 929 900 5143
Wickr :Vendorvuggs1
Telegram ID: Vendorvuggs1
Visit our telegram channel : t.me/flavorsheaven