Your guide to cancelled TV shows
Cindbear
2011-05-18 13:20:38 UTC
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.

CANCELED SHOWS, BY NETWORK:
ABC
'Better With You'
'Brothers & Sisters'
'Detroit 1-8-7'
'Mr. Sunshine'
'My Generation'
'No Ordinary Family'
'Off the Map'
'V'

NBC
'America's Next Great Restaurant'
'The Cape'
'Chase'
'The Event'
'Friday Night Lights'
'Law & Order: LA'
'Outsourced'
'The Paul Reiser Show'
'Perfect Couples'
'School Pride'

FOX
'Breaking In'
'The Chicago Code'
'Human Target'
'Lie to Me'
'Lone Star'
'Running Wilde'
'Traffic Light'

CBS
'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior'
'The Defenders'
'Mad Love'
'Medium'
'$#*! My Dad Says'

THE CW
'Life Unexpected'
'Smallville'

I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
Paul Ciszek
2011-05-18 13:40:34 UTC
Post by Cindbear
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.
ABC
'Off the Map'
Was this based on the movie of the same title? I loved the movie,
but turning it into a TV series would be a horrible idea.
Kim
2011-05-22 13:10:31 UTC
Post by Paul Ciszek
Post by Cindbear
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.
ABC
'Off the Map'
Was this based on the movie of the same title? I loved the movie,
but turning it into a TV series would be a horrible idea.
I don't know about the movie - but the TV show was kind of a cross
between Grey's Anatomy and Lost - the premise was take some doctor's and
put them on an Island.

Yeah, it sucked as bad as you would think.
--
Kim
*Every kid does not deserve a trophy. Winners deserve trophies and
losers deserve degradation.*
Paul Ciszek
2011-05-22 15:39:24 UTC
Post by Kim
Post by Paul Ciszek
Post by Cindbear
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.
ABC
'Off the Map'
Was this based on the movie of the same title? I loved the movie,
but turning it into a TV series would be a horrible idea.
I don't know about the movie - but the TV show was kind of a cross
between Grey's Anatomy and Lost - the premise was take some doctor's and
put them on an Island.
OK, that has nothing to do with the indie movie that I liked. Thank
goodness.
K_S_ONeill
2011-06-12 07:35:53 UTC
fromhttp://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.
ABC
'Off the Map'
Every time this thread comes up I go watch an episode of Starved on
youtube. Sigh. That was such a great show.

Kevin
S. Checker
2011-05-18 14:37:09 UTC
Post by Cindbear
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.
<snip>
Post by Cindbear
THE CW
'Life Unexpected'
'Smallville'
I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
Forget Hawaii 5-0, how does The CW still exist?
--
for they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with springs and gears and
perfect in every respect. And they lived with it, and on it, and under
-- Stanislaw Lem
Bob
2011-05-18 19:48:18 UTC
Post by S. Checker
Post by Cindbear
THE CW
'Life Unexpected'
'Smallville'
Whew! I was afraid that one would be kept going until Superman was on
Medicare.
Continuous Wave. With about that much information content.
Lesmond
2011-05-18 16:02:03 UTC
Post by Cindbear
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.
FOX
'Breaking In'
We started watching this a couple of weeks ago. We were rolling on the
floor, it's so funny. I said to my husband, "We like it. How long before
it's cancelled?" Lo and behold.
If there's a nuclear winter, at least it'll snow.
Cindbear
2011-05-18 21:40:41 UTC
On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:02:03 -0400 (EDT), "Lesmond"
Post by Lesmond
Post by Cindbear
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.
FOX
'Breaking In'
We started watching this a couple of weeks ago. We were rolling on the
floor, it's so funny. I said to my husband, "We like it. How long before
it's cancelled?" Lo and behold.
I found it kinda corny, but it had potential.

'Better With You' Eh, ok.
'Detroit 1-8-7' This show never really seemed to decide what it was.
Nevertheless, I liked it.
'Mr. Sunshine' The cast of friends is (mostly) doomed.
'No Ordinary Family' Dumb dumb dumb. I hated the way this show was
written.

The Event' This reminds of the Xfiles, good and bad.
'Friday Night Lights' This was still on?
'Outsourced' Had potential, should have been edgier.
'The Paul Reiser Show' It was a pile of WTF?

'Breaking In' Corny. Had potential
'The Chicago Code' It's Ok.

'The Defenders' Its Ok, kinda cheesy.

'$#*! My Dad Says' Somewhat amusing at times.

'Life Unexpected' This was still on? I thought it was cancelled
already.
Mary Shafer
2011-05-19 00:54:53 UTC
Post by Lesmond
We started watching this a couple of weeks ago. We were rolling on the
floor, it's so funny. I said to my husband, "We like it. How long before
it's cancelled?" Lo and behold.
My husband and I like and watch exactly one TV show that isn't news,
weather, or a sporting event. It wasn't cancelled. This has not been
our luck with a lot of previous shows.

Mary "'The Big Bang Theory'"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
***@gmail.com or ***@qnet.com
Visit my blog at http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/
K_S_ONeill
2011-05-19 04:50:55 UTC
Post by Cindbear
On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:02:03 -0400 (EDT), "Lesmond"
We started watching this a couple of weeks ago.  We were rolling on the
floor, it's so funny.  I said to my husband, "We like it.  How long before
it's cancelled?"  Lo and behold.
My husband and I like and watch exactly one TV show that isn't news,
weather, or a sporting event.  It wasn't cancelled.  This has not been
our luck with a lot of previous shows.
Mary "'The Big Bang Theory'"
You might try "Community", The Girl likes BBT a lot and Community only
a little less. Though it might help that we sort of work at
Greendale.

Kevin
groo
2011-05-22 05:04:21 UTC
Post by Lesmond
Post by Cindbear
On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:02:03 -0400 (EDT), "Lesmond"
We started watching this a couple of weeks ago.  We were rolling on
he
Post by Cindbear
our luck with a lot of previous shows.
Mary "'The Big Bang Theory'"
You might try "Community", The Girl likes BBT a lot and Community only
a little less. Though it might help that we sort of work at
Greendale.
Do you have an Abed? I'd go to a community college if I could hang out
with Abed.
"I didn't realize rabbits were that flexible." - Opus T. Penguin, afca
Roger House
I know what a bed is, but what is an Abed?
Snidely
2022-02-11 18:40:51 UTC
Roger House is guilty of
<0cec7fc9-a67c-43f2-85b4-***@googlegroups.com> as of
2/10/2022 4:42:07 PM
Post by Roger House
Post by groo
Post by Cindbear
Post by Lesmond
floor, it's so funny. I said to my husband, "We like it. How long
before it's cancelled?" Lo and behold.
My husband and I like and watch exactly one TV show that isn't news,
weather, or a sporting event. It wasn't cancelled. This has not bee n
our luck with a lot of previous shows.
Mary "'The Big Bang Theory'"
You might try "Community", The Girl likes BBT a lot and Community only
a little less. Though it might help that we sort of work at
Greendale.
Do you have an Abed? I'd go to a community college if I could hang out
with Abed.
--
"I didn't realize rabbits were that flexible." - Opus T. Penguin, afca
I know what a bed is, but what is an Abed?
A character on the show /Community/.

Last on NBC in 2014.

/dps
--
"That's a good sort of hectic, innit?"

" Very much so, and I'd recommend the haggis wontons."
-njm
Roger House
2022-02-12 01:50:57 UTC
Post by Snidely
Roger House is guilty of
2/10/2022 4:42:07 PM
Post by Roger House
Oh. I never watched that show.
Snidely
2022-02-12 07:06:28 UTC
Roger House is guilty of
<a080a527-35d5-4058-a6b9-***@googlegroups.com> as of
2/11/2022 5:50:57 PM
Post by Roger House
Post by Snidely
Roger House is guilty of
2/10/2022 4:42:07 PM
Post by Roger House
Post by groo
Post by Cindbear
[...]
Apparently I didn't, either. But Wikipedia has an article, and youtube
seems to have a channel that's mostly clips, but a full episode from
late in Season 1 and one from early in Season 3 can be found there.

/dps
--
"That’s where I end with this kind of conversation: Language is
crucial, and yet not the answer."
Stanford.,2020
Beaver Fever
2022-02-15 05:16:53 UTC
Tales Of The Gold Monkey

Lesmond
2011-05-19 13:00:57 UTC
Post by Lesmond
We started watching this a couple of weeks ago. We were rolling on the
floor, it's so funny. I said to my husband, "We like it. How long before
it's cancelled?" Lo and behold.
My husband and I like and watch exactly one TV show that isn't news,
weather, or a sporting event. It wasn't cancelled. This has not been
our luck with a lot of previous shows.
Mary "'The Big Bang Theory'"
We kinda stalled out with that one. We're somewhere in the middle of the
third season, I think, but haven't watched it in months. My son started
watching it at his friend's house and brought the first season DVD home. It
started out all right, but now I'm just too uncomfortable watching it with a
ten year old boy.
If there's a nuclear winter, at least it'll snow.
John Mc
2011-05-18 20:36:59 UTC
Post by Cindbear
[...]
And ya' know what? I can't say I'll miss any of them. Though I will give
V kudos for going off with a bang.

Thanks for the list.

John Mc.
bill van
2011-05-18 21:24:38 UTC
Post by Cindbear
[...]
I'm happy to report I watched a total of about four episodes of all of
the above combined. Two of them were Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior,
which I was plugging for because of the presence of Forest Whitaker and
Janeane Garofolo. But Whitaker was as uncomfortable as I've ever seen
someone in a role, and Garofolo was so low-key as to make no difference.

bill
Snidely
2011-05-18 22:14:30 UTC
Post by bill van
I'm happy to report I watched a total of about four episodes of all of
the above combined. Two of them were Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior,
I've watched 3-4 episodes of Detroit 1-8-7, mainly when it followed my
bread-and-circuses, but I was interested in the characters. I'm not
sure if there was anything tying stuff together; maybe I'll look at a
couple more.

I also watched most of the first season of Brothers & Sisters, but I'm
not sure who was Blake Carrington.

/dps
rroger
2011-05-18 22:20:31 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by bill van
I'm happy to report I watched a total of about four episodes of all of
the above combined. Two of them were Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior,
I've watched 3-4 episodes of Detroit 1-8-7, mainly when it followed my
bread-and-circuses, but I was interested in the characters.  I'm not
sure if there was anything tying stuff together; maybe I'll look at a
couple more.
I also watched most of the first season of Brothers & Sisters, but I'm
not sure who was Blake Carrington.
Blake Carrington wasn't in Brothers & Sisters, he was the lead
character in the 80's prime time soap drama "Dynasty".
Snidely

/dps
Charles Bishop
2011-05-26 20:53:22 UTC
In article
Post by Snidely
Post by rroger
Post by Snidely
I also watched most of the first season of Brothers & Sisters, but I'm
not sure who was Blake Carrington.
Blake Carrington wasn't in Brothers & Sisters, he was the lead
character in the 80's prime time soap drama "Dynasty".
Hmmmm.
Get used to it. I already have.
charles, Goss or bot, bishop
bill van
2011-05-19 00:13:35 UTC
In article
Post by Snidely
Post by bill van
I'm happy to report I watched a total of about four episodes of all of
the above combined. Two of them were Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior,
I've watched 3-4 episodes of Detroit 1-8-7, mainly when it followed my
bread-and-circuses, but I was interested in the characters. I'm not
sure if there was anything tying stuff together; maybe I'll look at a
couple more.
I saw an episode and a bit of Detroit 1-8-7, again because of the lead
actor. I thought Michael Imperioli did a good job, but the scripts were
standard policier material, and I lost track of the program.
bill
Snidely
2011-05-19 00:47:27 UTC
Post by bill van
I saw an episode and a bit of Detroit 1-8-7, again because of the lead
actor. I thought Michael Imperioli did a good job, but the scripts were
standard policier material, and I lost track of the program.
If you were to take me to Morton's, I *might* be able to tell the
difference from Sizzler.

/dps
bill van
2011-05-19 04:28:37 UTC
In article
Post by Snidely
Post by bill van
I saw an episode and a bit of Detroit 1-8-7, again because of the lead
actor. I thought Michael Imperioli did a good job, but the scripts were
standard policier material, and I lost track of the program.
If you were to take me to Morton's, I *might* be able to tell the
difference from Sizzler.
Uh, I know Morton's and I've heard of Sizzler, though they don't operate
in Canada. But I'm totally whooshed as to what your post means in this
context.

bill
Dover Beach
2011-05-19 16:30:23 UTC
Post by bill van
In article
Post by Snidely
Post by bill van
I saw an episode and a bit of Detroit 1-8-7, again because of the
lead actor. I thought Michael Imperioli did a good job, but the
scripts were standard policier material, and I lost track of the
program.
If you were to take me to Morton's, I *might* be able to tell the
difference from Sizzler.
Uh, I know Morton's and I've heard of Sizzler, though they don't
operate in Canada. But I'm totally whooshed as to what your post means
in this context.
Morton's is very high-end and Sizzler is very low-end. The quality of
the food is pretty different.
Dover
Snidely
2011-05-19 18:24:17 UTC
Post by bill van
In article
Post by Snidely
Post by bill van
I saw an episode and a bit of Detroit 1-8-7, again because of the
lead actor. I thought Michael Imperioli did a good job, but the
scripts were standard policier material, and I lost track of the
program.
If you were to take me to Morton's, I *might* be able to tell the
difference from Sizzler.
Uh, I know Morton's and I've heard of Sizzler, though they don't
operate in Canada. But I'm totally whooshed as to what your post means
in this context.
Morton's is very high-end and Sizzler is very low-end.  The quality of
the food is pretty different.
I be cultured ... and I can spell Taco Bell's "gordita", too!

/dps
Snidely
2011-05-20 04:32:27 UTC
Post by Snidely
I be cultured ... and I can spell Taco Bell's "gordita", too!
I meant to say "chalupa" ... the extra grilling makes a difference!

/dps
bill van
2011-05-19 18:43:03 UTC
Post by Dover Beach
Post by bill van
In article
Post by Snidely
Post by bill van
I saw an episode and a bit of Detroit 1-8-7, again because of the
lead actor. I thought Michael Imperioli did a good job, but the
scripts were standard policier material, and I lost track of the
program.
If you were to take me to Morton's, I *might* be able to tell the
difference from Sizzler.
Uh, I know Morton's and I've heard of Sizzler, though they don't
operate in Canada. But I'm totally whooshed as to what your post means
in this context.
Morton's is very high-end and Sizzler is very low-end. The quality of
the food is pretty different.
Yes, I gathered that. I just didn't know how he was applying it to the
conversation. Best guess is that he didn't need to hear my opinion
because he'll form his own, thank you very much. I'd rather have heard
what his opinion was. Not a big deal, though.

bill
Snidely
2011-05-19 19:37:17 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by bill van
In article
Post by Snidely
Post by bill van
I saw an episode and a bit of Detroit 1-8-7, again because of the
lead actor. I thought Michael Imperioli did a good job, but the
scripts were standard policier material, and I lost track of the
program.
If you were to take me to Morton's, I *might* be able to tell the
difference from Sizzler.
Uh, I know Morton's and I've heard of Sizzler, though they don't
operate in Canada. But I'm totally whooshed as to what your post means
in this context.
Morton's is very high-end and Sizzler is very low-end.  The quality of
the food is pretty different.
Yes, I gathered that. I just didn't know how he was applying it to the
conversation. Best guess is that he didn't need to hear my opinion
because he'll form his own, thank you very much. I'd rather have heard
what his opinion was. Not a big deal, though.
Your guess is wrong ... ane I hope Hactar is wrong, too, or there is
no reason for me to hope that someone will take me to Morton's some
day.

I was just using a "clever" way of referring to my plebian tastes,
which no doubt account for it being easier to please me with cop
shows. I'm not sure where I stand on medical shows ... I hardly ever
watched the last round of big hit meds ... ER or Chicago Hope or ...
but then, I skipped most of Dr Kildare, Marcus Welby, and Doogie
Howser. So if I burned out after the 2nd season of Grey's Anatomy, it
doesn't represent high standards as much as a lack of scenes in the
kitchen.

/dps "pasta and pesto, please"
B***@sonnnic.net
/dps "pasta and pesto, please"
Snidely
2011-05-20 04:31:30 UTC
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
grrrrr
?????

/dps
Hieronymus Agricola
2011-05-20 04:47:40 UTC
On Thu, 19 May 2011 21:31:30 -0700, Snidely wrote
(in article
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
grrrrr
?????
/dps
Bill is skeptical about Roswell.
B***@sonnnic.net
2011-05-20 05:13:05 UTC
On Thu, 19 May 2011 21:31:30 -0700 (PDT), Snidely
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
grrrrr
?????
/dps
You may or may not recall me & MC being outraged about a "hanging
plot" on G.A. a few years ago. We both, I think, pledged to never
speak of it again.
Snidely
2011-05-20 22:27:59 UTC
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
recall me & MC
An in-band name!

Now for an album cover ... how about a 57 Pontiac erupting from the
fog on the Golden Gate Bridge?

The A side single from it would be "Hot Dogs and Marinara" or maybe "
Relish the Thrift".

/dps
rroger
2011-05-21 00:43:49 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
recall me & MC
An in-band name!
What's an "in-band"?
Les Albert
2011-05-21 01:30:48 UTC
Post by rroger
Post by Snidely
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
recall me & MC
An in-band name!
What's an "in-band"?
All the members of the band have innies.

Les
Snidely
2011-05-21 02:15:20 UTC
Post by Les Albert
Post by rroger
Post by Snidely
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
recall me & MC
An in-band name!
What's an "in-band"?
All the members of the band have innies.
And no other control channel.

/dps
rroger
?????
Hieronymus Agricola
2011-05-21 07:08:04 UTC
On Fri, 20 May 2011 19:21:37 -0700, rroger wrote
(in article
Post by Snidely
Post by Les Albert
Post by rroger
Post by Snidely
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
recall me & MC
An in-band name!
What's an "in-band"?
All the members of the band have innies.
And no other control channel.
?????
The medium used to convey information is sometimes called a "channel". A
channel may be constrained to carry only some kinds of information. For
example, FM radio consists of channels that carry audio information, up to
about 15kHz. If you want to convey speech ove FM radio, that would be
"in-band"; that is, the frequencies that make up speech are within the 15kHz
bandwidth of FM radio. If you wanted to convey the sound of an ultrasonic dog
whistle, then you'd have to use some other medium than FM radio, because such
a sound contains frequencies higher than 15kHz; that is, they are
"out-of-band".

If a machine has a status light that is green when everything is working
properly and red when something's wrong, how can you tell if the status
circuitry is working properly? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Greg Goss
2011-05-21 08:54:47 UTC
Post by Hieronymus Agricola
For
example, FM radio consists of channels that carry audio information, up to
about 15kHz. If you want to convey speech ove FM radio, that would be
"in-band"; that is, the frequencies that make up speech are within the 15kHz
bandwidth of FM radio. If you wanted to convey the sound of an ultrasonic dog
whistle, then you'd have to use some other medium than FM radio, because such
a sound contains frequencies higher than 15kHz; that is, they are
"out-of-band".
So the 22 KHz (?) control tone that separates the stereo "channels";
is that in-band or out-of-band?
Post by Hieronymus Agricola
If a machine has a status light that is green when everything is working
properly and red when something's wrong, how can you tell if the status
circuitry is working properly? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Vote on it. Didn't the early computers have all circuits working in
triplicate and if a tube burned out, it got outvoted by the other two
(and turned a case light on that indicated it needed attention by one
of the tube jockeys.)
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Greg Goss
2011-05-21 19:08:49 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Hieronymus Agricola
If a machine has a status light that is green when everything is working
properly and red when something's wrong, how can you tell if the status
circuitry is working properly? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Vote on it. Didn't the early computers have all circuits working in
triplicate and if a tube burned out, it got outvoted by the other two
(and turned a case light on that indicated it needed attention by one
of the tube jockeys.)
Or, back on the QCIC, the old joke that if you're taking a Mormon
buddy fishing, invite two of them or else he'll drink all your beer.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Hieronymus Agricola
It's a good thing those vote-counting circuits always worked!
Greg Goss
2011-05-21 08:48:33 UTC
Post by rroger
Post by Snidely
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
recall me & MC
An in-band name!
What's an "in-band"?
I've lost the context here, and don't feel like chasing the thread up,
but I've heard the term from the days of analog transmissions.

When you dial a phone, the tones required to control the line used to
go through the same line you were listening on. "Blue Boxes" (black,
maybe other colours, too) sent extra control signals to take over some
circuits that you shouldn't have access to. But if the telco sends
the control information over the same line that they're routing your
call through, then it's hard to separate this. The control
information is "in" the same band as your voice call. When I lived in
rez, people were recording and playing back the coded tones that
indicated insertion of coins, to "pay" for long distance calls.

In the eighties and nineties, you could often see a flashing block in
one corner of the screen on network TV. There was a pattern of its
flashes and it indicated an upcoming commercial break where the local
station could insert its own commercials. This flashing block was an
"in band" signal. (though it was buried in the overscan on most TVs.)

This definition of "in band" doesn't seem to make much sense here, but
shrug. And in a world of digital signals, (No, not finger gestures)
the idea of in-band signalling is horrifying. Most such systems
include a control stream separate from the various content streams.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
B***@sonnnic.net
or... I'm in with the in-crowd...
groo
2011-05-22 05:19:16 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by rroger
Post by Snidely
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
[...]
Your description was quite excellent right up to the second to last
sentence. In band signalling isn't horrifying. Modern digital systems do
tend to use separate control streams, as you correctly state. They also
often use in-band signalling, such as start bits and stop bits, error
correction codes, etc.
"I didn't realize rabbits were that flexible." - Opus T. Penguin, afca
Charles Bishop
2011-05-26 20:57:34 UTC
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
On Thu, 19 May 2011 21:31:30 -0700 (PDT), Snidely
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
grrrrr
?????
/dps
You may or may not recall me & MC being outraged about a "hanging
plot" on G.A. a few years ago. We both, I think, pledged to never
speak of it again.
And yet, here you are.
charels
B***@sonnnic.net
I misspoke (writ). We meant never to view the program.
Hactar
2011-05-19 16:27:42 UTC
Post by bill van
In article
Post by Snidely
Post by bill van
I saw an episode and a bit of Detroit 1-8-7, again because of the lead
actor. I thought Michael Imperioli did a good job, but the scripts were
standard policier material, and I lost track of the program.
If you were to take me to Morton's, I *might* be able to tell the
difference from Sizzler.
Uh, I know Morton's and I've heard of Sizzler, though they don't operate
in Canada. But I'm totally whooshed as to what your post means in this
context.
I think the gist was that if you expose him to two kinds of mediocrity,
he might be able to distinguish them.
--
-eben ***@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81
Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
-- Oliver Cromwell
Lee Ayrton
2011-05-18 21:27:54 UTC
I know someone who will be out of work because of the LOLA cancellation.
B***@sonnnic.net
, but I know a lot of people who are out of work.
Lee Ayrton
2011-05-20 00:04:38 UTC
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by Cindbear
NBC
'America's Next Great Restaurant'
'The Cape'
'Chase'
'The Event'
'Friday Night Lights'
'Law & Order: LA'
I know someone who will be out of work because of the LOLA cancellation.
, but I know a lot of people who are out of work.
Thanks to RO Gov Chaffee blurting out that he wants to end tax incentives
for film production, Body Of Proof will be moving to LA for its second
season. Way to go, Linc.
Opus the Penguin
2011-05-22 04:40:13 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Thanks to RO Gov Chaffee blurting out that he wants to end tax
incentives for film production, Body Of Proof will be moving to LA
for its second season. Way to go, Linc.
I'm amazed that Body of Proof is going to have a second season. Is that
the show you were working on?
--
Opus the Penguin
The best darn penguin in all of Usenet
Lee Ayrton
2011-05-22 12:50:43 UTC
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Lee Ayrton
Thanks to RO Gov Chaffee blurting out that he wants to end tax
incentives for film production, Body Of Proof will be moving to LA for
its second season. Way to go, Linc.
I'm amazed that Body of Proof is going to have a second season. Is that
the show you were working on?
Yep. Shot as RI for Philadelphia. It got good rating numbers, I don't
have the details but I'm guessing that they captured the Lifetime/
Desperate Housewives demographic that they were aiming for.

Right now I'm working on a movie about a lecherous teddy bear.
Opus the Penguin
2011-05-22 14:18:03 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Lee Ayrton
Thanks to RO Gov Chaffee blurting out that he wants to end tax
incentives for film production, Body Of Proof will be moving to
LA for its second season. Way to go, Linc.
I'm amazed that Body of Proof is going to have a second season.
Is that the show you were working on?
Yep. Shot as RI for Philadelphia.
And very well shot it was. Good lighting. Nice camera work. No cables
in frame.
Post by Lee Ayrton
It got good rating numbers,
That's what surprises me. The first episode was so moldy and
derivative with such cliche characters that Mrs P and I didn't give
it a second chance. It was as though the writers saw Rizzoli and
Isles and thought they were seeing hot new fresh ideas. So they threw
out the Rizzoli character and started their own show.
Post by Lee Ayrton
I don't have the details but I'm guessing that they captured the
Lifetime/ Desperate Housewives demographic that they were aiming
for.
Right now I'm working on a movie about a lecherous teddy bear.
I suppose that must have its rewards as well.
B***@sonnnic.net
not Pedo Bear??!?
B***@sonnnic.net
2011-05-18 22:47:40 UTC
Post by Cindbear
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.
Nope, can't do it. I am familiar/have heard of exactly zero of those
programs.
Snidely
2011-05-18 22:52:36 UTC
Post by B***@sonnnic.net
fromhttp://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.
Nope, can't do it. I am familiar/have heard of exactly zero of those
programs.
Well, now you know which ones you won't be missing the new episodes
of ....

/dps
B***@sonnnic.net
Yes I don't.
Paul Madarasz
Me also, neither.
Kajikit
2011-05-19 00:49:37 UTC
Post by Cindbear
[...]
The only show out of that entire list that we enjoyed watching was Lie
to Me... and we got tired of it halfway through last season because
their characterisation had gone completely over the top and it wasn't
remotely believable any more. A lot of those shows are sitcoms, and I
haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
pretty much universally dumb.
Cindbear
2011-05-19 01:35:35 UTC
I haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
pretty much universally dumb.
So tell me what foreign shows to watch. I watch everything around the
globe, and I'm always looking for something good.
Kajikit
2011-05-19 18:27:08 UTC
Post by Cindbear
I haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
pretty much universally dumb.
So tell me what foreign shows to watch. I watch everything around the
globe, and I'm always looking for something good.
I don't know... ARE there any sitcoms that don't cater to the lowest
common denominator? John loves the IT Crowd (BBC) and it has its
moments...
rroger
2011-05-19 20:12:47 UTC
Post by Kajikit
Post by Cindbear
I haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
pretty much universally dumb.
So tell me what foreign shows to watch. I watch everything around the
globe, and I'm always looking for something good.
I don't know... ARE there any sitcoms that don't cater to the lowest
common denominator?
Frasier. BTW, the above is not really a bad thing. Sitcoms are
comedies that, therefore, are supposed to make one laugh. As long as
they do that, it doesn't, or at least shouldn't, matter how they do
it.
David Lesher
2011-06-02 17:48:19 UTC
I haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
pretty much universally dumb.
The last I watched was Barney Miller.

I will mourn Friday Night Lights but NBC set out to kill it and did.

Fringe is fun; because it has such good, crazy, characters.
--
A host is a host from coast to ***@nrk.com
Greg Goss
2011-05-19 22:47:34 UTC
Post by Kajikit
Post by Cindbear
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
The only show out of that entire list that we enjoyed watching was Lie
to Me... and we got tired of it halfway through last season because
their characterisation had gone completely over the top and it wasn't
remotely believable any more. A lot of those shows are sitcoms, and I
haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
pretty much universally dumb.
My wife still watches Smallville.

She also watches Two and a Half Men, which doesn't seem to be on that
list. Did it ever get officially cancelled, or is it still
"suspended" while they try to figure out how to rework the storyline
without the main star?
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Rick B.
Not cancelled. They're replacing Sheen with Ashton Kutcher.
Lee Ayrton
Yet another reason for me to not start watching TaaHM.
John Mc
2011-05-21 01:21:05 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Kajikit
Post by Cindbear
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
The only show out of that entire list that we enjoyed watching was Lie
to Me... and we got tired of it halfway through last season because
their characterisation had gone completely over the top and it wasn't
remotely believable any more. A lot of those shows are sitcoms, and I
haven't found a US sitcom really worth watching in years. They're
pretty much universally dumb.
My wife still watches Smallville.
So did I. Though to me everything went downhill when Michael Rosenbaum
left. Who's Superman without Lex Luthor. Just some clown in pajamas.

John Mc.
dilbert firestorm
2011-05-19 01:53:54 UTC
Post by Cindbear
[...]
I liked V, gutsy attempt to re-image the show. I think this version was
better than the old "V".

The Event was another I liked.

why is Smallville on the list? Its not cancelled was it? I know it is
ending its 10 year run concluding with last episode this friday.
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
David Lesher
2011-06-02 17:58:42 UTC
Post by dilbert firestorm
The Event was another I liked.
Yet Another show torpedoed by lazy, bad, writing.
--
A host is a host from coast to ***@nrk.com
danny burstein
2011-06-02 18:03:29 UTC
Post by David Lesher
Post by dilbert firestorm
The Event was another I liked.
Yet Another show torpedoed by lazy, bad, writing.
Whatever happened to that FBI gal pal of his? Did
I miss an episode where they wasted her, or something?
***@panix.com
dilbert firestorm
2011-06-12 06:57:17 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Post by David Lesher
Post by dilbert firestorm
The Event was another I liked.
Yet Another show torpedoed by lazy, bad, writing.
Whatever happened to that FBI gal pal of his? Did
I miss an episode where they wasted her, or something?
She was still around, not sure what happened with her. I think she may
have been reassigned else where regarding the visitors.
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
dilbert firestorm
2011-06-12 07:05:16 UTC
Post by David Lesher
Post by dilbert firestorm
The Event was another I liked.
Yet Another show torpedoed by lazy, bad, writing.
yeah, but it had one hell of an ending, one I was not expecting.

I knew the visitors were bringing their entire population to Earth thru
that portal, but I wasn't expecting them to transport an entire planet
from a star system about to go nova.
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
hpjeannie
2011-05-19 05:06:28 UTC
I still miss "The Charmings."

Jeannie
Xho Jingleheimerschmidt
2011-05-21 02:50:58 UTC
Post by Cindbear
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.
ABC
'Better With You'
It was better than facing reality. For some reason I thought it was CBS.
Post by Cindbear
'Brothers & Sisters'
OK, that was only watchable the first year or so.
Post by Cindbear
'Detroit 1-8-7'
'Mr. Sunshine'
'My Generation'
'No Ordinary Family'
'Off the Map'
'V'
I don't even know what "my generation" was.
Post by Cindbear
NBC
'America's Next Great Restaurant'
'The Cape'
'Chase'
'The Event'
'Friday Night Lights'
'Law & Order: LA'
'Outsourced'
'The Paul Reiser Show'
'Perfect Couples'
'School Pride'
I can't see I know what any of these are. So what are they going to do
now, put Jay Leno at both 10 and 11:30?
Post by Cindbear
FOX
'Breaking In'
'The Chicago Code'
I thought that one might actually work.
Post by Cindbear
'Human Target'
'Lie to Me'
'Lone Star'
'Running Wilde'
'Traffic Light'
CBS
'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior'
'The Defenders'
'Mad Love'
'Medium'
'$#*! My Dad Says'
That one too was better than facing reality, at least after BBT.
Post by Cindbear
THE CW
'Life Unexpected'
'Smallville'
Holy crap, that was still on?
Post by Cindbear
I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
Beats me.

Xho
bill van
2011-05-21 06:26:37 UTC
Post by Xho Jingleheimerschmidt
Post by Cindbear
'Smallville'
Holy crap, that was still on?
Yeah, it's one of two SF-y series -- the other one is the Stargate
franchise -- that were produced in Vancouver and are ending at the same
time. Might actually be three, since V used to be produced here, but I'm
not sure if the last season or two were.

bill, didn't watch any of them, but hey, it's jobs
Kim
2011-05-22 13:16:07 UTC
Post by Cindbear
I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
The only shows I watched with any regularity on the list were "Lie to
Me" and LOLA. I thought Lie to Me was cancelled a while ago, and LOLA -
well they killed off Skeet a little bit ago and I haven't watched it since.

Bastards.
rroger
2011-05-22 13:33:37 UTC
Post by Kim
  I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
The only shows I watched with any regularity on the list were "Lie to
Me" and LOLA. I thought Lie to Me was cancelled a while ago, and LOLA -
well they killed off Skeet a little bit ago and I haven't watched it since.
Bastards.
Oh my god they killed Skeet...you bastards!
--
R.
Johnny Mathis plus Roy Orbison equals Arron Neville
B***@sonnnic.net
2011-05-22 20:44:12 UTC
::like::
rwalker
2011-05-23 01:49:36 UTC
Post by Cindbear
[...]
Have never seen any of these. Haven't even heard of most of them. It's
not that I don't watch TV, but I never watch prime time TV. I thought
Hawaii 5-0 had been off the air for about 35 years.
Greg Goss
2011-05-23 08:01:24 UTC
Post by Cindbear
I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
They brought it back for this year. In an era of network timidity,
remakes are easier than pitching something new. I haven't watched it,
so I don't know if it has a distinctive titles theme like the original
did.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Opus the Penguin
2011-05-24 20:31:02 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Cindbear
I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
They brought it back for this year. In an era of network
timidity, remakes are easier than pitching something new. I
haven't watched it, so I don't know if it has a distinctive titles
theme like the original did.
Yep. They initially had a new arrangement of the theme for
synthesizers and rock guitar (whatever that means). Apparently people
who heard it hated it and demanded the original. So producer Alex
Kurtzman claims they got the original musicians together to re-record
the original theme exactly as written ... except for the part where
they cut it in half from 60 seconds to 30. I don't get why they did
that. It's not like they used those extra 30 seconds for anything
better.
John Mc
2011-05-25 01:05:03 UTC
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Cindbear
I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
They brought it back for this year. In an era of network
timidity, remakes are easier than pitching something new. I
haven't watched it, so I don't know if it has a distinctive titles
theme like the original did.
Yep. They initially had a new arrangement of the theme for
synthesizers and rock guitar (whatever that means). Apparently people
who heard it hated it and demanded the original. So producer Alex
Kurtzman claims they got the original musicians together to re-record
the original theme exactly as written ... except for the part where
they cut it in half from 60 seconds to 30. I don't get why they did
that. It's not like they used those extra 30 seconds for anything
better.
It's the same as when SyFy cut the intro to Stargate Atlantis instead
laying the opening credits over the start of the show. The network said
it was to give the producers more time. The producers basically told the
public" "WTF are we gong to do with 30 seconds?" After fan protests the
old opening was back. IOW with Hawaii 5-0 CBS wanted to sell 30 sec.
more ad time.

John Mc.
Opus the Penguin
2011-05-25 01:41:55 UTC
Post by John Mc
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Cindbear
[...]
That may have been their thinking, but it's nonsense. If they want to
shorten the show by 30 seconds and sell that time, fine. Tell the
writers to take 30 seconds out of their vapid derivative scripts and
leave the theme song at a full minute.

I suspect it has more to do with the TV execs being sheep who are
afraid to buck the trend and lose. The trend right now is to have a
long cold open and shorter and shorter theme music. I think the idea
is to hook you in before they run the theme and then not to lose you
after the theme is over. I think that's valid in some cases but it's
an absurd boilerplate to slap on Hawaii 5-0 where the theme music is
part of the hook.
groo
2011-05-25 02:36:37 UTC
Post by Cindbear
I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
I watch it for the scenery shots. I would get tired quickly of the
supersaturated colors if they lasted very long, but they don't.
"Nothing undercuts the arguments of the delusional." - D.F.Manno
Cindbear
2011-05-25 04:18:08 UTC
Post by groo
Post by Cindbear
I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
I watch it for the scenery shots. I would get tired quickly of the
supersaturated colors if they lasted very long, but they don't.
Ahh, so it's the Baywatch demographic that keeps this turd on the
schedule?
Xho Jingleheimerschmidt
Or CSI Miami.
groo
2011-05-26 02:06:17 UTC
Post by Cindbear
Post by groo
Post by Cindbear
I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
I watch it for the scenery shots. I would get tired quickly of the
supersaturated colors if they lasted very long, but they don't.
Ahh, so it's the Baywatch demographic that keeps this turd on the
schedule?
I said scenery, not boobs.

Although come to think of it, my favorite scenery IS boobs.
"Nothing undercuts the arguments of the delusional." - D.F.Manno
a***@yahoo.com
2011-05-26 17:47:50 UTC
Post by Cindbear
Post by groo
 I'm not saying some of these shows didn't suck, but OMFG, how does
Hawaii 5-0 stay on the air?
I watch it for the scenery shots. I would get tired quickly of the
supersaturated colors if they lasted very long, but they don't.
Ahh, so it's the Baywatch demographic that keeps this turd on the
schedule?
I said scenery, not boobs.
Although come to think of it, my favorite scenery IS boobs.
"You've scene one boob....
You've probably seen the other one"
Charles Wm. Dimmick
Naw. Once you've seen two you've seen them all.
Opus the Penguin
2011-05-26 17:35:28 UTC
Post by Cindbear
FOX
'Breaking In'
'The Chicago Code'
'Human Target'
'Lie to Me'
'Lone Star'
'Running Wilde'
'Traffic Light'
I knew about "Lone Star". They only aired a few episodes before they
killed it. It was the best new show last Fall.

I didn't know about "The Chicago Code" until I saw this. It was the
best mid-season new show this year, so I should have figured. I'm glad
I got the warning. We just watched the final episode last night.
Incredibly good. The show came to a satisfying conclusion despite the
people involved not knowing for sure they wouldn't be renewed. And
since we knew it was the conclusion, it was easier to view it that way.

What is it with FOX? On the one hand, we get mad at them for canceling
so many good shows. On the other hand, who else greenlights these shows
in the first place?
groo
2011-05-27 01:42:49 UTC
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Cindbear
FOX
'Breaking In'
'The Chicago Code'
'Human Target'
'Lie to Me'
'Lone Star'
'Running Wilde'
'Traffic Light'
I knew about "Lone Star". They only aired a few episodes before they
killed it. It was the best new show last Fall.
I didn't know about "The Chicago Code" until I saw this. It was the
best mid-season new show this year, so I should have figured. I'm glad
I got the warning. We just watched the final episode last night.
Incredibly good. The show came to a satisfying conclusion despite the
people involved not knowing for sure they wouldn't be renewed. And
since we knew it was the conclusion, it was easier to view it that way.
Human Target and Lie To Me both started out looking like they might be
worth watching. They both were, for a handful of shows. Then not.

V was kinda neat at first, too. Then it went totally off the rails with
the whole "soul" crap.
Post by Opus the Penguin
What is it with FOX? On the one hand, we get mad at them for canceling
so many good shows. On the other hand, who else greenlights these shows
in the first place?
F/X.
"Nothing undercuts the arguments of the delusional." - D.F.Manno
Charles Bishop
2011-05-26 20:50:36 UTC
Post by Cindbear
from http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/16/canceled-tv-shows-2011/
And if you're one of those without a TV, just hit next message,
nothing for you here.
ABC
'Detroit 1-8-7'
Drat, I liked this show.
Post by Cindbear
'Mr. Sunshine'
I wanted to like this one, but couldn't somehow.
Post by Cindbear
NBC
'Law & Order: LA'
They just did a reset for this one. It was good in that it used LA as a
character sometimes.
Post by Cindbear
'The Paul Reiser Show'
I had no idea this was on. Probably part of the problem.
Post by Cindbear
FOX
'The Chicago Code'
This was a wretched show - formulaic, with the crusading, new, young,
female chief of police, and the cop who will help her expose corruption.
Post by Cindbear
CBS
'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior'
'The Defenders'
'Mad Love'
Another one that I wanted to like, but couldn't stand a secondary character.
charles
Opus the Penguin
2011-05-26 23:32:48 UTC
Post by Charles Bishop
Post by Cindbear
FOX
'The Chicago Code'
This was a wretched show - formulaic, with the crusading, new,
young, female chief of police, and the cop who will help her
expose corruption.
You are so wrong it's not even funny. The show had an attention span
with multiple story lines that it kept track of, good writing, good
acting, and great use of Chicago locations. If it was formulaic, I wish
more people would learn the formula.
Charles Bishop
2011-05-27 20:06:47 UTC
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Charles Bishop
Post by Cindbear
FOX
'The Chicago Code'
This was a wretched show - formulaic, with the crusading, new,
young, female chief of police, and the cop who will help her
expose corruption.
You are so wrong it's not even funny. The show had an attention span
with multiple story lines that it kept track of, good writing, good
acting, and great use of Chicago locations. If it was formulaic, I wish
more people would learn the formula.
I wondered about this when I saw your original post. We usually agree
closely on which shows are good so I was questioning my judgment. I'd like
to go back and look at one of the shows again, but don't have one saved.

My impression from the first one I watched (and the others I watched to
see if my first impression was correct) was that the plot was trite. As
above. It's most likely a matter of taste, or I was in a place where this
didn't sit well with me, whereas if I'd seen it years ago or hence, I
might have liked it. While this is possible, I don't think it's likely.

When I compare it to other cop shows I've liked - Hill Street Blues, the
original L&O, the first epiosodes of L&OLA, Detroit 187, DaVinci's Inquest
- I find Chicago Code wanting.

Sorry we disagree on this one.
--
charles, there must be something wrong with you, bishop