YAY!!! for California
Roger House
2023-10-01 11:28:17 UTC
Starting on April 1st, 2024, fast food workers in California will start making $20.00 an hour. https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Food/fast-food-workers-california-earn-20-hour-highest/story?id=103593696

--
R.
getting coin change back from a purchase is NOT a big deal! If people get coin change back from a purchase, the world will not end, and life will still go on just like it does now.
Snidely
2023-10-03 08:29:46 UTC
Post by Roger House
Starting on April 1st, 2024, fast food workers in California will start
making $20.00 an hour.
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Food/fast-food-workers-california-earn-20-hour-highest/story?id=103593696
That's good for the workers, except that more people will skip fast
food as the prices go up. Which is on top of the price increases due
to shortages and delivery delays. Of course, cutting executive bonuses
could reduce the price increases, but few executives pursue that
option.

/dps "prices and wages often drive each other"
--
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same.
-- the World Wide Web
Les Albert
2023-10-04 20:21:54 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Roger House
Starting on April 1st, 2024, fast food workers in California will start
making $20.00 an hour.
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Food/fast-food-workers-california-earn-20-hour-highest/story?id=103593696
That's good for the workers, except that more people will skip fast
food as the prices go up. Which is on top of the price increases due
to shortages and delivery delays. Of course, cutting executive bonuses
could reduce the price increases, but few executives pursue that
option.
I don't think that more people will skip fast food as the prices go
up. I think they will just accept the price rise as just another
thing that costs more. The reason I think that has to do with the
time in 2008 (?) when gasoline prices started to climb in large jumps.
People complained, but they kept on driving to work. But when gas got
to $5:00 a gallon they stopped driving and started using public
transportation. At that time I drove to San Francisco. Getting to
the bridge from the East Bay was a breeze: the roads that were usually
jammed were relatively empty. The SF financial district which was
always clogged with traffic was devoid of cars - literally. $5/gallon
was the reason.

But today gas in the bay area is above $6/gallon and it hasn't seemed
to keep anyone from driving. The roads are clogged every morning in
all directions. People don't like it, but they seem to accept it as
just another thing that has gone up in price. Fast food price
increases won't be any different.

Les
Beaver Fever
You kidding? I have stopped eating out altogether unless I am out of town or special occasion etc.With the high costs, poor quality food and Ticketmaster style mystery charges? I can just grab a $1.09 bag of peanuts at the closest convenience store. Usually make a massive breakfast burrito around 3 and if I go to a concert (not priced out of those yet) it will sustain me until it's over.
Les Albert
2023-10-17 18:10:41 UTC
On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:06:46 -0700 (PDT), Beaver Fever
Post by Beaver Fever
Post by Les Albert
Post by Snidely
Post by Roger House
[...]
Eating like that and still able to attend concerts and attend to your
business ... you probably are taking massive amounts of vitamin
supplements.

Les

Bob
2023-10-05 03:19:26 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Roger House
Starting on April 1st, 2024, fast food workers in California will start
making $20.00 an hour.
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Food/fast-food-workers-california-earn-20-hour-highest/story?id=103593696
That's good for the workers, except that more people will skip fast
food as the prices go up. Which is on top of the price increases due
to shortages and delivery delays. Of course, cutting executive bonuses
could reduce the price increases, but few executives pursue that
option.
But most fast food joints don't have any executives to give bonuses to anyway.

The main thing this gives the advantage to is owner-operated, owner-staffed food trucks and carts. They don't have to pay themselves any minimum, so they'll have a cost advantage.

Bob in Andover
Mac
-- the World Wide Web
Mac
I miss Wilson…
Kerr-Mudd, John
2023-10-06 08:36:48 UTC
On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 22:39:00 -0700 (PDT)
Post by Mac
Post by Snidely
Post by Roger House
Starting on April 1st, 2024, fast food workers in California will start
making $20.00 an hour.
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Food/fast-food-workers-california-earn-20-hour-highest/story?id=103593696
That's good for the workers, except that more people will skip fast
food as the prices go up. Which is on top of the price increases due
to shortages and delivery delays. Of course, cutting executive bonuses
could reduce the price increases, but few executives pursue that
option.
/dps "prices and wages often drive each other"
--
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same.
And that's why life is hard.
-- the World Wide Web
I miss Wilson…
The beachball head? A beachboy? Harold?
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Mac
I suspect the soccerball is closest to Shawn.
Kerr-Mudd, John
2023-10-06 18:41:41 UTC
Post by Mac
Post by Snidely
Post by Roger House
[...]
Ah was he the self-professed economist?

PS
Wikipedia says

Wilson volleyball

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_Away#Plot
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Michael Trew
2023-10-06 22:29:58 UTC
Post by Roger House
Starting on April 1st, 2024, fast food workers in California will
start making $20.00 an hour.
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Food/fast-food-workers-california-earn-20-hour-highest/story?id=103593696
That's good for the workers, except that more people will skip fast food
as the prices go up. Which is on top of the price increases due to
shortages and delivery delays. Of course, cutting executive bonuses
could reduce the price increases, but few executives pursue that option.
/dps "prices and wages often drive each other"
The cost of living on the west cost is simply so much higher than other
areas. Some people might order fewer fast food items, but I doubt that
they will lose a significant amount of traffic. People will simply
become acclimated to the higher food prices. Myself, I've cut back a
good deal on eating out, for a combination of a health benefit and
saving money. Hearty home cooking, done right, will also save money.