British, um, accents? I'm re-asking an old post, hopefully in a better way
Roger House
2023-07-24 11:59:03 UTC
Whenever I, or maybe I should say, my ears, hear a British person say a word that ends with an A, the last part of the word doesn't sound the same as it does when a, shall we say, born and raised in the U.S.A., "W.A.S.P."-y person says the same word. Also, it's like this every time I hear it, no matter what the word is, as long as it's one that ends with the letter A, and it's a British person saying it. I'll give you an example. As I would guess most people know, when it's properly pronounced, the word banana sounds like, (although I don't know/remember where the accent goes), Buh - na - nuh; with the NA part sounding like it does in the word NANNY. Using my example, whenever I hear a British person, let's say Elton John, for example, say the word banana, it sounds to MY ears like Buh - na - ner; with the ER part sounding like it does in the word HER. If you understand WHAT I'm asking based on how I'm asking it, and my ears are not deceiving me, why is that?
Bob
2023-07-24 14:15:53 UTC
I never thought of "bananer" (or "p'tater") as a Britishism. I associate it more with northeastern USA. It sounds especially UNBritish to me.
Snidely
2023-07-24 20:59:29 UTC
Post by Bob
Post by Roger House
[...]
No, it happens with some Brit accents, too. (Where do you think the
Northeastern accent originated?) But the Brits are better known for
turning "er" into "uh", especially at the end of words. For example,
"remembuh" instead of "remember". This is known as being
"non-rhotic"", but it happened after most of the Brit emigration to the
American colonies, so it isn't heard much in the US or Canada.

/dps
--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"
_Phoebe and Her Unicorn_, 2016.05.15
occam
2023-08-12 08:05:14 UTC
Post by Roger House
[...]
You should listen more to BBC News, rather than Elton John. You would
have a much better appreciation of the British accent as-she-should-be
spoken. 'Ba-na-ner' is anything but typical English pronunciation.