I Was Almost Hit By A Car!
Curse Of Millhaven
2007-11-22 06:10:07 UTC
Okay, I am always "almost" getting hit by cars since I walk so much.
A lot of times I have to make eye contact with drivers or whatever
since they are easing into the crosswalk to make right turns and so
many people seem to not know how to make right turns anyway.

So I am walking through town and crossing a driveway of a large
shopping center. I see some older Mercedes (1970-ish) with either semi-
tinted windows or even a filthy windshield. The car is rolling up to
the driveway real slow, I think maybe slowing down to give this
pedestrian the right away as required by law.

But it keeps slowly rolling so I gotta jump out of the way barely
missing the right (passenger) side bumper. I pause and look at him at
he slowly rolls by. Totally oblivious that he almost hit a pedestrian.

Suddenly I am flooded with anger and adrenaline. I kick the rear of
the car as it goes by. It stops. I throw my arms up. His window rolls
down as he is pulling in the street. I don't say anything (when I am
this pissed off it's all gibberish anyway), I just assume someone is
getting a beat down tonight but I am not going to step in front of or
behind the car to get to him.

He is driving slow and he rolls down the window. I am also walking
slow trying to assess the situation, reconsider my temper and hope
it's not me who is going to end up bleeding on the pavement. When I
can see the dude in his darkened car, I can tell he is a lot older. He
starts swearing "fuck you motherfucker fucking fucker" in a thick
eastern European-ish accent. He is waving his hands around. I just
throw my arms out like "come on dude," though, his arms disappear.
This makes me slightly nervous, and I am walking only slightly behind
his car at an angle. His arms re-appear with his middle finger.

At some point during this exchange he yells "I didn't see you," which
doesn't really matter to me because I ain't exactly invisible.

So we are walking along, I am a little pissed but I also don't really
want to throw down with an old man, but since he is swearing and
flipping me off and driving really slow I am still throwing out the
"come on" hand signals to see if he is stupid enough to try it anyway.

Then I yell "watch where you are driving," not even so much referring
to the incident of a few seconds ago, but the fact that, again, he
isn't watching the road or traffic or what's going on.

Suddenly his car veers toward me and I notice I am walking over
another driveway, the entrance to the McDonald's I run a bit and then
turn around to see he isn't pointing his car at me anymore. I ain't
playing anymore now or cutting him any slack for being a geezer. As
far as I am concerned, that is the same as pointing a loaded weapon at
me. I lunge at his driver's side. I am going to get inside his car and
hurt him since this time it wasn't even a careless mistake.

He peels off into traffic and takes off.

I know I shouldn't have lost my temper like that and kicked his stupid
car (not that it would damage it, those things weigh more than SUV's),
and in the past when I resisted my first instinct to kick something
off over it, I would tell myself "If it becomes a war of you vs cars,
the cars are going to win" and I have also long suspected that one of
the top ways I stand a chance of going out is to be hit by a car, only
because of how much walking I do and what I see when I am doing it. I
am afraid my actions may have set such a fate in motion.

And mostly I am pissed off because the roads are filled with people
who have no business driving. People who are elderly and with poor
reflexes, people who are blind and too vain to wear glasses, people
with filthy windshields or people who have more important things to do
than watch where the hell they are going.

It seems like if you can suck oxygen and give the government it's cut,
you are allowed to drive, end of story.

If you are still with me, thanks for reading all that, I feel a little
better already.
Lars Eighner
2007-11-22 11:20:56 UTC
In our last episode,
Post by Curse Of Millhaven
Okay, I am always "almost" getting hit by cars since I walk so much.
A lot of times I have to make eye contact with drivers or whatever
since they are easing into the crosswalk to make right turns and so
many people seem to not know how to make right turns anyway.
Around holidays you can count on at least 75% of drivers being to some
degree looped.

The Beaglemaster was struck by a hit-and-run driver just before Christmas
two years ago. His leg was broken and his knee wasn't right even after the
bone set. Owing to subsequent disasters, we only just now have some chance
of getting our heads above water within a month or two. (And of course my
previous partner was killed while riding his bicycle by a drunk in a
pickup.)
--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> ***@larseighner.com
Countdown: 425 days to go.
jeffinputnam
2007-11-22 11:51:18 UTC
Post by Curse Of Millhaven
And mostly I am pissed off because the roads are filled with people
who have no business driving. People who are elderly and with poor
reflexes, people who are blind and too vain to wear glasses, people
with filthy windshields or people who have more important things to
do than watch where the hell they are going.
I often wonder if I'm the only driver on the road who doesn't have one
hand on the phone, the other waving frenetically in the air and my brain
in Kansas.

Andy
2007-11-22 12:45:58 UTC
Curse Of Millhaven said...

<snipped for brevity>

I was hit by a car.

We were at a red light in a fast lane in the late 60s to make a left turn
(before turnout lanes) in a Ford Galaxy 500 (TANK) and a little Toyota or
some Japanese compact sailed into us at 60 mph.

My family walked out of the car without a scratch. The newlyweds in the
Toyota didn't fair as well, the husband in the passenger seat flew through
the windshield and was DOA on the spot covered in red blood on the hood of
thier car.

Very short wedding.

I remember my Mom bumming a cigarette from one of the cops after 10 years
smoke free as we stood on the curb watching while PD/Fire/EMS did their job.
It was like watching TV. I was nine years old.

I'm just thankful to be alive.

Andy
Lots42
2007-11-22 13:48:02 UTC
Post by Curse Of Millhaven
And mostly I am pissed off because the roads are filled with people
who have no business driving. People who are elderly and with poor
reflexes, people who are blind and too vain to wear glasses, people
with filthy windshields or people who have more important things to do
than watch where the hell they are going.
It astonishes me how many pedistrians I see who are making a
concentrated, genuine effort to look the -other- way when crossing the
road. Is there some sort of 'Die horribly with a broken neck' trend
going on among the youngsters of today? Because damn.
Lee Ayrton
2007-11-24 17:45:48 UTC
Post by Lots42
Post by Curse Of Millhaven
And mostly I am pissed off because the roads are filled with people
who have no business driving. People who are elderly and with poor
reflexes, people who are blind and too vain to wear glasses, people
with filthy windshields or people who have more important things to do
than watch where the hell they are going.
It astonishes me how many pedistrians I see who are making a
concentrated, genuine effort to look the -other- way when crossing the
road. Is there some sort of 'Die horribly with a broken neck' trend
going on among the youngsters of today? Because damn.
I suspect that it is a confrontation/territory thing: If I don't look at
you I don't have to back down, you are the one that has to not run over
me.
--
"We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey,
that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated."
Orson Wells on the reaction to the _War Of The Worlds_ broadcast.
Que Barbara
2007-11-24 18:10:09 UTC
Post by Lots42
Post by Curse Of Millhaven
And mostly I am pissed off because the roads are filled with people
who have no business driving. People who are elderly and with poor
reflexes, people who are blind and too vain to wear glasses, people
with filthy windshields or people who have more important things to do
than watch where the hell they are going.
It astonishes me how many pedistrians I see who are making a
concentrated, genuine effort to look the -other- way when crossing the
road. Is there some sort of 'Die horribly with a broken neck' trend
going on among the youngsters of today? Because damn.
This infuriates my husband. Like you said, the utes seem to make a
point of not looking when crossing in front of cars waiting at stop
signs and in parking lots. They also seem to deliberately walk very
slowly, and make no effort to get out of the way. It doesn't do any
good to tell him that the kids are trying to get a rise out of him,
and besides, they're only worth 40 points.

QueBarbara, IIRC
Curse Of Millhaven
2007-11-24 18:15:09 UTC
Post by Que Barbara
Post by Lots42
Post by Curse Of Millhaven
[...]
I was also hit by a car as a little kid and know that pedestrian
fatalities are fairly common in the area so I try to make an effort to
be real careful when walking through any throughways where I might
encounter an automobile.

I was once waiting at a bus stop where I saw numerous near misses in a
short time period. People wouldn't stay in the crosswalk but veer
diagonally toward the sidewalk. And people crossing the other way (it
was where some popular play was) would see the green light and jump
into the street far from the crosswalk. There was a building right at
the corner so they are basically hopping right into a blindspot where
cars turning the corner wouldn't expect to see pedestrians. Saw a
totally decked out couple get missed by an SUV within inches.

I should have probably reported that corner to the police so they can
station someone there writing tickets. I know one of these days I am
going to see someone get it and I will be close enough to get blood on
my clothes.
Lots42
2007-11-25 10:26:31 UTC
On Nov 24, 1:15 pm, Curse Of Millhaven
Post by Curse Of Millhaven
I should have probably reported that corner to the police so they can
station someone there writing tickets. I know one of these days I am
going to see someone get it and I will be close enough to get blood on
my clothes.-
And THEN they will fix the intersection because 'now' it's a danger
and the authorities are insane
Greg Goss
2007-11-25 18:05:12 UTC
Post by Curse Of Millhaven
I should have probably reported that corner to the police so they can
station someone there writing tickets. I know one of these days I am
going to see someone get it and I will be close enough to get blood on
my clothes.-
And THEN they will fix the intersection because 'now' it's a danger
and the authorities are insane
In BC, Canada, most of the automobile insurance (and all of the "basic
third party" insurance) is provided by one government-owned company.

When you have only one insurer, sometimes it's cheaper to fix the
problem than pay for it later. I was startled when they announced
that they were going to work with the city of Vancouver to rebuild
four particularly bad intersections. I don't remember whether there
were other examples.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
r***@bestweb.net
2007-11-24 22:26:34 UTC
My experience and that of my friend John here in New York City is that
a great number of adult pedestrians have no experience as motorists
and seem therefore to have no driver consciousness. Besides my actual
collision with one as described, I too have had near hits with one
pedestrian while I was watching another, frequently though not always
while I was turning right. The light I'm waiting at changes and I
watch one pedestrian clear from in front of my car, when another takes
the opp'ty to cross against the light from the other side. They
figure, what the hell, he's stopped, I might as well go.

They don't keep right on the bicycle-pedestrian path either, as either
cyclists or pedestrians. Many's the time I've tried to hint by
hugging the right edge of the path with my bike, and the approaching
cyclist from the opposite direction instead of moving right, will
frequently move left and off the paved path to make way. Yeah,
frequently they're foreigners, but it couldn't be that many that come
from keep-left countries.

Robert
Les Albert
2007-11-24 23:34:39 UTC
Post by r***@bestweb.net
My experience and that of my friend John here in New York City is that
a great number of adult pedestrians have no experience as motorists
and seem therefore to have no driver consciousness. Besides my actual
collision with one as described, I too have had near hits with one
pedestrian while I was watching another, frequently though not always
while I was turning right. The light I'm waiting at changes and I
watch one pedestrian clear from in front of my car, when another takes
the opp'ty to cross against the light from the other side. They
figure, what the hell, he's stopped, I might as well go.
The pedestrians may have no driver consciousness, but you previously
have posted things here about your driving adventures that indicate
you are not the most competent driver. And if you can only watch one
pedestrian at a time when you are stopped at a corner or turning the
corner, then you will have more near-hits.

On a related note for other readers of this thread, the current issue
of the New Yorker (Nov. 26) has an article, "Wheel of Fortune", by
Peter Hessler about drivers and driver training in China. It's a
funny (and terrifying) article. Here is an abstract of it:

www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/11/26/071126fa_fact_hessler

Les
ZBicyclist
2007-11-22 16:45:15 UTC
Post by Curse Of Millhaven
At some point during this exchange he yells "I didn't see you," which
doesn't really matter to me because I ain't exactly invisible.
Perhaps we could have a "stupider than this excuse" contest.

1. The alternative is that he was intentionally trying to run you over. The
average person assumes the other person wasn't this malevolent.

2. It's not an excuse in any way. The driver has responsibility to be
watching. As I read it, you are on a sidewalk, where pedestrians are to be
expected.

That said, any time two people get the blood boiling, bad things can happen.
I'm glad you are here to tell the tale.
--
Mike Kruger
Error is eternal, and wisdom consists in living with it, not letting
our vanity tell us that it has been transcended. - Michael T. Ghiselin
Greg Goss
2007-11-22 17:25:25 UTC
Post by ZBicyclist
1. The alternative is that he was intentionally trying to run you over. The
average person assumes the other person wasn't this malevolent.
2. It's not an excuse in any way. The driver has responsibility to be
watching. As I read it, you are on a sidewalk, where pedestrians are to be
expected.
That said, any time two people get the blood boiling, bad things can happen.
I'm glad you are here to tell the tale.
There were two interactions. The first one where the incapacitated
driver knowingly (why else does he ooze along the street) entered a
crosswalk with a pedestrian in it.

Point two was when the driver pointed a "loaded weapon" at someone
during an argument.

These are two vastly different infractions.

In Canada, there have been "assault with a weapon" charges for hitting
someone with a car, though a deliberate "vehicular murder" got off in
Calgary this year with good lawyering.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
ZBicyclist
2007-11-22 19:03:00 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by ZBicyclist
[...]
You're right about the second interaction. That reminds me -- I need to
check on the local (Chicago) case in which two bicyclists were run over in
this type of interaction. The first cyclist had kicked the car (due to a
near-miss), so the driver ran into him -- and also ran into a second,
unrelated cyclist (who was, IIRC, on the other side of the street). There
was some lobbying to get "assault" upgraded to "assault with a deadly
weapon" charges on the driver.
c***@thelast.mile
2007-11-23 12:33:24 UTC
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:45:15 -0600, "ZBicyclist"
Post by ZBicyclist
Post by Curse Of Millhaven
At some point during this exchange he yells "I didn't see you," which
doesn't really matter to me because I ain't exactly invisible.
Perhaps we could have a "stupider than this excuse" contest.
1. The alternative is that he was intentionally trying to run you over. The
average person assumes the other person wasn't this malevolent.
2. It's not an excuse in any way. The driver has responsibility to be
watching. As I read it, you are on a sidewalk, where pedestrians are to be
expected.
That said, any time two people get the blood boiling, bad things can happen.
I'm glad you are here to tell the tale.
He shoulda beat the wrinkles outta his old ass!

I can say that now 'cause I'm only 41. Guess I'll just have to shoot
myself when the young bucks can whip me..
Tony Myers www.sedatedape.com (conveniently located near various things)
2007-11-22 23:19:01 UTC
idiot - two more feet and all your problems would've been solved. I
try to help you and you pass up a golden opportunity like that
r***@bestweb.net
2007-11-23 04:15:22 UTC
I actually hit a pedestrian in June. I was stopped at a stop sign 2
blocks from home on my way to where I volunteered to coach football,
and just as I was about to go, someone appeared in front of the left
side of my bumper seeming to try to get my att'n. So I started to
pull to the right (I was making a right turn anyway) to see what he
wanted, and didn't see his friend as he crossed on the passenger
side. I'd only moved a foot or two to hit him, and he staggered back
a step before falling. One of them had a skateboard, but I didn't see
either of them skateboarding.

Aparently my insurer's offer wasn't good enough, so the lawyers are
lawyering.

Robert
Don K
2007-11-23 12:47:54 UTC
Post by r***@bestweb.net
I actually hit a pedestrian in June. I was stopped at a stop sign 2
blocks from home on my way to where I volunteered to coach football,
and just as I was about to go, someone appeared in front of the left
side of my bumper seeming to try to get my att'n. So I started to
pull to the right (I was making a right turn anyway) to see what he
wanted, and didn't see his friend as he crossed on the passenger
side.
Yeah, that's the thing about stop signs. You're supposed to
look in the direction the car will move after you've looked both ways.

Post by r***@bestweb.net
a step before falling. One of them had a skateboard, but I didn't see
either of them skateboarding.
I'm sure your lawyer will try to work the reckless skateboarder angle.
Post by r***@bestweb.net
Aparently my insurer's offer wasn't good enough, so the lawyers are
lawyering.
That's what they do best.

Don
Raven-Poe
2007-11-23 15:35:30 UTC
Post by Don K
Post by r***@bestweb.net
I actually hit a pedestrian in June. I was stopped at a stop sign 2
blocks from home on my way to where I volunteered to coach football,
and just as I was about to go, someone appeared in front of the left
side of my bumper seeming to try to get my att'n. So I started to
pull to the right (I was making a right turn anyway) to see what he
wanted, and didn't see his friend as he crossed on the passenger
side.
Yeah, that's the thing about stop signs. You're supposed to
look in the direction the car will move after you've looked both ways.
What makes me wonder is why pedestrians would walk in front of a car when
they haven't made direct persoanl eye contact with the driver? I mean,
sure, you've got the right of way, but you're the one who's gonna be dead
in a bad enough accident.

John
Here, have 10 Opus Points (TM)
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail.
Ask me about joining the NRA.
x***@gmail.com
2007-11-23 16:56:06 UTC
Post by Raven-Poe
Post by Don K
..
Post by r***@bestweb.net
I actually hit a pedestrian in June. I was stopped at a stop sign 2
blocks from home on my way to where I volunteered to coach football,
and just as I was about to go, someone appeared in front of the left
side of my bumper seeming to try to get my att'n. So I started to
pull to the right (I was making a right turn anyway) to see what he
wanted, and didn't see his friend as he crossed on the passenger
side.
Yeah, that's the thing about stop signs. You're supposed to
look in the direction the car will move after you've looked both ways.
What makes me wonder is why pedestrians would walk in front of a car when
they haven't made direct persoanl eye contact with the driver?
If the driver won't make eye contact, can I bang on his hood with a golf
club until he does?

Xho
this fact.
Raven-Poe
2007-11-24 00:45:09 UTC
<snip>
Post by x***@gmail.com
Post by Raven-Poe
Post by Don K
Yeah, that's the thing about stop signs. You're supposed to
look in the direction the car will move after you've looked both ways.
What makes me wonder is why pedestrians would walk in front of a car when
they haven't made direct persoanl eye contact with the driver?
If the driver won't make eye contact, can I bang on his hood with a golf
club until he does?
That or walk behind em, yeah.

John
Here, have 10 Opus Points (TM)
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail.
Ask me about joining the NRA.
Lots42
2007-11-24 10:45:57 UTC
Post by Raven-Poe
What makes me wonder is why pedestrians would walk in front of a car when
they haven't made direct persoanl eye contact with the driver? I mean,
sure, you've got the right of way, but you're the one who's gonna be dead
in a bad enough accident.
John
My theory is that they hope to be injured in a non-bad enough
accident. Three hundred thousand dollars for a broken leg, arm and
hurting when it pees? Shweet (for them, not me)
Opus the Penguin
2007-11-24 12:30:07 UTC
Post by Raven-Poe
Post by Don K
Post by r***@bestweb.net
I actually hit a pedestrian in June. I was stopped at a stop sign 2
blocks from home on my way to where I volunteered to coach
football, and just as I was about to go, someone appeared in
front of the left side of my bumper seeming to try to get my
att'n. So I started to pull to the right (I was making a right
turn anyway) to see what he wanted, and didn't see his friend
as he crossed on the passenger side.
Yeah, that's the thing about stop signs. You're supposed to
look in the direction the car will move after you've looked both ways.
What makes me wonder is why pedestrians would walk in front of a
car when they haven't made direct persoanl eye contact with the
driver? I mean, sure, you've got the right of way, but you're the
one who's gonna be dead in a bad enough accident.
The other day I would've hit a pedestrian (and doggie) if my son
hadn't been in the car to say "Whoa!" I was intent on making a right
turn on red, so was looking to my left to see when there was a break
in traffic. I hadn't noticed any pedestrians around, let alone one
entering the intersection; so when the break occurred, I started to
go.

The pedestrian had entered the intersection after the "Don't Walk"
sign had been flashing for some time.

It would have been a terrible thing if I'd hit him, and I would be
sick about it to this day. I should have checked. It still gives me
the shakes a little that I didn't. But it's also true that he was a
fool to enter that intersection (technically illegally) in front of a
car whose driver was not even looking his way.
--
Opus the Penguin
It is hard to be proactively retrospective, so I'll just have to
wait. - Xho
Don K
2007-11-24 12:57:37 UTC
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Raven-Poe
Post by Don K
[...]
I've also done a similar thing at a yield sign. There was a car
ahead of me which started to go. I then looked to my left and saw
there was an adequate opening so I started to accelerate.

When I then look straight ahead again, I saw the car in front,
changed his mind and was stopping and I nearly ran into him.

For me, it reinforced the idea that you really have to be looking
in the direction you intend to move, before the move.

Don
Raven-Poe
2007-11-25 13:08:34 UTC
<snip>
Post by Opus the Penguin
Post by Raven-Poe
What makes me wonder is why pedestrians would walk in front of a
car when they haven't made direct persoanl eye contact with the
driver? I mean, sure, you've got the right of way, but you're the
one who's gonna be dead in a bad enough accident.
The other day I would've hit a pedestrian (and doggie) if my son
hadn't been in the car to say "Whoa!" I was intent on making a right
turn on red, so was looking to my left to see when there was a break
in traffic. I hadn't noticed any pedestrians around, let alone one
entering the intersection; so when the break occurred, I started to
go.
I've done the exact same thing to a man and woman wlaking in Mystic CT.
The guy did the very smartest thign he could which was to slap the hood
hard.
Post by Opus the Penguin
The pedestrian had entered the intersection after the "Don't Walk"
sign had been flashing for some time.
It would have been a terrible thing if I'd hit him, and I would be
sick about it to this day. I should have checked. It still gives me
the shakes a little that I didn't. But it's also true that he was a
fool to enter that intersection (technically illegally) in front of a
car whose driver was not even looking his way.
Precisely. It would have been drivers fault (ie yours and mine) in both
cases but we would only be paying with guilty conciences while others
would be paying with life and/or limb. Which is why I always eitehr make
eye contact one way or the other (and I'm not above tapping the car I'm
about to walk in front of, tho usually calling out is all that is
required) or detouring around the back of the car that is looking to get
out into traffic.

John
Here, have 10 Opus Points (TM)
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail.
Ask me about joining the NRA.
r***@bestweb.net
2007-11-23 19:15:41 UTC
Post by Don K
Yeah, that's the thing about stop signs. You're supposed to
look in the direction the car will move after you've looked both ways.
I was paying att'n to his friend to maneuver around him. I had been
looking to the right, where his friend came from, but my gaze followed
him to my left, where he stopped and faced me. I hadn't realized he
was being followed.
Post by Don K
Post by r***@bestweb.net
a step before falling. One of them had a skateboard, but I didn't see
either of them skateboarding.
I'm sure your lawyer will try to work the reckless skateboarder angle.
I didn't even mention the skateboard. I'm pretty sure the one I hit
wasn't on one, or he wouldn't've been carrying a drink as he was.

Robert
Blinky the Shark
2007-11-24 17:26:56 UTC
Post by Opus the Penguin
The other day I would've hit a pedestrian (and doggie) if my son
hadn't been in the car to say "Whoa!" I was intent on making a right
turn on red, so was looking to my left to see when there was a break
in traffic. I hadn't noticed any pedestrians around, let alone one
entering the intersection; so when the break occurred, I started to
go.
See? See?! Recently I proposed that since everyone feels that cell
phone use in the car should be illegal we should also ban Driving Alone
since four eyes and ears perceive more than two of each. ;)
--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
bill van
2007-11-24 23:38:36 UTC
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by Opus the Penguin
The other day I would've hit a pedestrian (and doggie) if my son
hadn't been in the car to say "Whoa!" I was intent on making a right
turn on red, so was looking to my left to see when there was a break
in traffic. I hadn't noticed any pedestrians around, let alone one
entering the intersection; so when the break occurred, I started to
go.
See? See?! Recently I proposed that since everyone feels that cell
phone use in the car should be illegal we should also ban Driving Alone
since four eyes and ears perceive more than two of each. ;)
fyi, this post broke the thread, the way my newsreader saw it.
--
bill
remove my country for e-mail
Blinky the Shark
2007-11-25 00:01:45 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by Opus the Penguin
The other day I would've hit a pedestrian (and doggie) if my son
hadn't been in the car to say "Whoa!" I was intent on making a right
turn on red, so was looking to my left to see when there was a break
in traffic. I hadn't noticed any pedestrians around, let alone one
entering the intersection; so when the break occurred, I started to
go.
See? See?! Recently I proposed that since everyone feels that cell
phone use in the car should be illegal we should also ban Driving Alone
since four eyes and ears perceive more than two of each. ;)
fyi, this post broke the thread, the way my newsreader saw it.
No References header. I don't know why.
Peter Ward
2007-11-25 06:55:43 UTC
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by bill van
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by Opus the Penguin
The other day I would've hit a pedestrian (and doggie) if my son
hadn't been in the car to say "Whoa!" I was intent on making a right
turn on red, so was looking to my left to see when there was a break
in traffic. I hadn't noticed any pedestrians around, let alone one
entering the intersection; so when the break occurred, I started to
go.
See? See?! Recently I proposed that since everyone feels that cell
phone use in the car should be illegal we should also ban Driving Alone
since four eyes and ears perceive more than two of each. ;)
fyi, this post broke the thread, the way my newsreader saw it.
No References header. I don't know why.
Try posting using Google Groups if you can't drive a proper
newsreader, then.
--
Peter

I'm an alien
Whenever life gets complicated, take a nap and wait for dinner
email: groups at asylum dot nildram dot co dot uk
Blinky the Shark
2007-11-25 07:27:23 UTC
Post by Peter Ward
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by bill van
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by Opus the Penguin
The other day I would've hit a pedestrian (and doggie) if my son
hadn't been in the car to say "Whoa!" I was intent on making a right
turn on red, so was looking to my left to see when there was a break
in traffic. I hadn't noticed any pedestrians around, let alone one
entering the intersection; so when the break occurred, I started to
go.
See? See?! Recently I proposed that since everyone feels that cell
phone use in the car should be illegal we should also ban Driving Alone
since four eyes and ears perceive more than two of each. ;)
fyi, this post broke the thread, the way my newsreader saw it.
No References header. I don't know why.
Try posting using Google Groups if you can't drive a proper
newsreader, then.
In a very unGrouper-like manner I have checked out the issue; in a very
unGrouper-like manner I have determined what it was; in a very
unGrouper-like manner I believe that dropped header won't happen again,
as it has not in the tens of thousands of posts I've made over the years
with the exception of two this weekend. But thanks for your stupidest
post ever.
N Jill Marsh
2007-11-25 13:25:00 UTC
Post by Blinky the Shark
In a very unGrouper-like manner I have checked out the issue; in a very
unGrouper-like manner I have determined what it was; in a very
unGrouper-like manner
Wow, three times you misspelled your bigoted insult term. Perhaps
there's hope yet.

nj"nah"m
--
But I was looking for that great jazz note
that destroyed the walls of Jericho.
Bill Turlock
you forget, them sharks is fish-fixated
Peter Ward
2007-11-25 15:03:09 UTC
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by Peter Ward
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by bill van
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by Opus the Penguin
[...]
Stupid? That rather depends on my purpose in posting it.

groo
2007-11-25 18:10:07 UTC
Post by Peter Ward
Post by Blinky the Shark
No References header. I don't know why.
Try posting using Google Groups if you can't drive a proper
newsreader, then.
Ohhh, snap!
i'm in ur kitchin eatin ur stringbeanz.
Peter Ward
2007-11-26 16:55:18 UTC
Post by groo
Post by Peter Ward
Post by Blinky the Shark
No References header. I don't know why.
Try posting using Google Groups if you can't drive a proper
newsreader, then.
Ohhh, snap!
Which sense of "snap"?

Que Barbara
2007-11-26 17:15:46 UTC
Post by Peter Ward
Post by groo
Post by Peter Ward
Post by Blinky the Shark
No References header. I don't know why.
Try posting using Google Groups if you can't drive a proper
newsreader, then.
Ohhh, snap!
Which sense of "snap"?
The good one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dozens

--
Quebarbara

Sean Houtman
2007-11-25 06:30:41 UTC
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by bill van
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by Opus the Penguin
The other day I would've hit a pedestrian (and doggie) if my son
hadn't been in the car to say "Whoa!" I was intent on making a
right turn on red, so was looking to my left to see when there
was a break in traffic. I hadn't noticed any pedestrians around,
let alone one entering the intersection; so when the break
occurred, I started to go.
See? See?! Recently I proposed that since everyone feels that
cell phone use in the car should be illegal we should also ban
Driving Alone since four eyes and ears perceive more than two of
each. ;)
fyi, this post broke the thread, the way my newsreader saw it.
No References header. I don't know why.
You are Perry's newsreader and I claim my 5 leftist tracts.

Sean
Blinky the Shark
2007-11-25 07:28:41 UTC
Post by Sean Houtman
You are Perry's newsreader and I claim my 5 leftist tracts.
:)
Opus the Penguin
2007-11-26 00:10:51 UTC
Post by Sean Houtman
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by bill van
Post by Blinky the Shark
Post by Opus the Penguin
The other day I would've hit a pedestrian (and doggie) if my
son hadn't been in the car to say "Whoa!" I was intent on
making a right turn on red, so was looking to my left to see
when there was a break in traffic. I hadn't noticed any
pedestrians around, let alone one entering the intersection;
so when the break occurred, I started to go.
See? See?! Recently I proposed that since everyone feels that
cell phone use in the car should be illegal we should also ban
Driving Alone since four eyes and ears perceive more than two
of each. ;)
fyi, this post broke the thread, the way my newsreader saw it.
No References header. I don't know why.
You are Perry's newsreader and I claim my 5 leftist tracts.
Perry was a leftist?
--
Opus the Penguin
Some days there isn't enough herring in the world to give you the
smack you're asking for. - Veronique
Que Barbara
2007-11-25 04:26:28 UTC
I was hit on by a Carl. He was my friend Tracy's older brother, and
at the time I failed to value a homemade tape of Elvis Costello's best
songs over a Z28.

--
QueBarbara
battered old bird