Wok Up!
Snidely
2023-04-02 19:08:55 UTC
I don't know if any of our master chefs are still around, but we used
to comment on the "America's Test Kitchen" show in this group.

I'm not watching ATK as much these days [1], but I recognized Chris
Kimble in the ads for Milk Street kitchen products. He makes using a
wok look easy! Of course, that's the point, since he's trying to sell
you a wok. Anybody around here have experience wokking? Has anybody
checked out the Milk Street products?

Okay, the rest of you can continue napping.

[1] Too many rocket launches on youtube, not enough antenna in my
apartment.

/dps
--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"
Viktor Frankl
Les Albert
2023-04-03 00:32:10 UTC
Post by Snidely
I don't know if any of our master chefs are still around, but we used
to comment on the "America's Test Kitchen" show in this group.
I'm not watching ATK as much these days [1], but I recognized Chris
Kimble in the ads for Milk Street kitchen products. He makes using a
wok look easy! Of course, that's the point, since he's trying to sell
you a wok. Anybody around here have experience wokking? Has anybody
checked out the Milk Street products?
Okay, the rest of you can continue napping.
We use a wok occaisonally, usually when we're making a stir-fry.
I never thought the wok required any special cooking procedures other
than it's for high-heat, and fast cooking

I see on one of the Milk Street cooking sites that he recommends
peanut oil for cooking and that will advise you when the temperature
is right because the oil will start smoking --- that's wrong by my
standards. We use grapeseed oil in the wok; it's a high-heat oil that
does not smoke, is odorless, and does not add any flavor of its own to
what you are cooking (it also reduces cholesterol.

Beyond that I can't think of any special things that cooking in a
seasoned wok requires.

Les
Snidely
2023-04-03 21:05:22 UTC
Les Albert pounded on thar keyboard to tell us
Post by Les Albert
Post by Snidely
[...]
Thanks.

/dps
--
"First thing in the morning, before I have coffee, I read the obits, If
I'm not in it, I'll have breakfast." -- Carl Reiner, to CBS News in
2015.
Boron Elgar
2023-04-03 18:22:01 UTC
Post by Snidely
I don't know if any of our master chefs are still around, but we used
to comment on the "America's Test Kitchen" show in this group.
I'm not watching ATK as much these days [1], but I recognized Chris
Kimble in the ads for Milk Street kitchen products. He makes using a
wok look easy! Of course, that's the point, since he's trying to sell
you a wok. Anybody around here have experience wokking? Has anybody
checked out the Milk Street products?
Okay, the rest of you can continue napping.
[1] Too many rocket launches on youtube, not enough antenna in my
apartment.
/dps
I have used woks at times, but mostly use wo(r)k-arounds.

I have bought Milk Street sponsored/stocked items and never had a
problem with any of them, mostly Japanese knives.
Snidely
2023-04-03 21:07:12 UTC
Post by Boron Elgar
Post by Snidely
I don't know if any of our master chefs are still around, but we used
to comment on the "America's Test Kitchen" show in this group.
I'm not watching ATK as much these days [1], but I recognized Chris
Kimble in the ads for Milk Street kitchen products. He makes using a
wok look easy! Of course, that's the point, since he's trying to sell
you a wok. Anybody around here have experience wokking? Has anybody
checked out the Milk Street products?
Okay, the rest of you can continue napping.
[1] Too many rocket launches on youtube, not enough antenna in my
apartment.
/dps
I have used woks at times, but mostly use wo(r)k-arounds.
Grapeseed oil?
Post by Boron Elgar
I have bought Milk Street sponsored/stocked items and never had a
problem with any of them, mostly Japanese knives.
Thanks.

(And glad to see you still keep an eye on us kids)

/dps
--
As a colleague once told me about an incoming manager,
"He does very well in a suck-up, kick-down culture."
Bill in Vancouver
Boron Elgar
I am getting so old, everyone seems to be a kid to me.
Kerr-Mudd, John
2023-04-04 08:36:39 UTC
On Mon, 03 Apr 2023 20:47:29 -0400
Post by Boron Elgar
Post by Snidely
Post by Boron Elgar
I have bought Milk Street sponsored/stocked items and never had a
problem with any of them, mostly Japanese knives.
Thanks.
(And glad to see you still keep an eye on us kids)
/dps
I am getting so old, everyone seems to be a kid to me.
It's a problem keeping an empty lawn these days.
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
HVS
2023-04-04 15:41:00 UTC
On Mon, 03 Apr 2023 14:07:12 -0700, Snidely
Post by Snidely
On Sun, 02 Apr 2023 12:08:55 -0700, Snidely
Post by Snidely
[...]
It's still weird to realise that I'm the same age as old people.
Cheers, Harvey
Boron Elgar
In most cases. My father-in-law will be 101 next week.
Bob
2023-04-04 14:06:16 UTC
Including this one? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OfuS9MHNgnw

What do trees have against my creations?
Snidely
2023-04-04 17:35:19 UTC
Post by Bob
Post by Snidely
[1] Too many rocket launches on youtube,
Including this one? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OfuS9MHNgnw
What do trees have against my creations?
Ha!

-d
--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"
_Phoebe and Her Unicorn_, 2016.05.15
Lee Ayrton
2023-04-09 15:59:21 UTC
Post by Snidely
I don't know if any of our master chefs are still around, but we used
to comment on the "America's Test Kitchen" show in this group.
I'm not watching ATK as much these days [1], but I recognized Chris
Kimble in the ads for Milk Street kitchen products. He makes using a
wok look easy! Of course, that's the point, since he's trying to sell
you a wok. Anybody around here have experience wokking? Has anybody
checked out the Milk Street products?
[snip]

As other note, using a wok is easy given the right oil and feeling comfortable with high heat. I use mine every few months.

ATK and Kimble parted ways a few years ago, I don't recall the circumstances but words were said and one or the other picked up their ball and went home. I always thought that Kimble was a bit of a snooty stuffed shirt, but I'm judgy like that.

Lee "Take a wok on the wild side" Ayrton