disturbing hollywood deaths
OswaldActedAlone
2004-01-31 20:45:06 UTC
Auntie Em Slipped a Plastic Bag Over Her Head . . .
and other Disturbing Hollywood Deaths

http://www.altreel.com/offbeat-cinema/index.html
James Gifford
2004-01-31 21:49:25 UTC
Post by OswaldActedAlone
Auntie Em Slipped a Plastic Bag Over Her Head . . .
and other Disturbing Hollywood Deaths
http://www.altreel.com/offbeat-cinema/index.html
Not bad, but I don't see anything on one of the best in this genre: Lupe
Velez.

The "Mexican Spitfire" was a successful B-movie actress who experienced a
downturn in popularity and being dumped by a lover - whose child she had
also discovered she was carrying. She decided to go out in grand style,
and so had a lunch of her favorite enchiladas, took a huge handful of
barbiturates, and laid down in a white dressing gown on a white couch
surrounded by white flowers, prepared to be discovered "sleeping"
peacefully in white beauty.

The enchiladas and pills had a fight, and she apparently had to run to
the bathroom to throw up. Woozy, she slipped, jammed her head in the
toilet, and drowned.
--
| James Gifford * FIX SPAMTRAP TO REPLY |
| So... your philosophy fits in a sig, does it? |
| Heinlein Pages Updated! See www.nitrosyncretic.com |
Lalbert1
2004-01-31 23:44:57 UTC
Post by James Gifford
Post by OswaldActedAlone
[...]
Scroll down the page and you will see:

"Lupe Velez [1908-44] "Mexican Spitfire" - Went out in style by committing
suicide by swallowing pills amid a roomful of flowers. "

Maybe the bathroom had flowers in it.

I question the accuracy of some of the listings. For instance, it says, "John
Garfield [1913-52] Film Star, Everyman - Died of a heart attack in 1952,
shortly after being placed on the Hollywood blacklist. [Editor's Note: Many say
it was the blacklist that did him in.] "

It was no secret that John Garfield had a heart attack while screwing his
girlfriend in her Gramercy Park apartment.

And a footnote to, "William Desmond Taylor [1877-1922] Silent Film Director -
Shot to death in his Los Angeles bungalow. [Editor's Note: The case remains
unsolved.] "
King Vidor, an old time Hollywood director, researched the murder in 1967. He
claimed to have solved the case and was going to make a movie out of it. He
never did but Vidor's research was used for the book, "A Cast of Killers" by
Sidney D. Kirkpatrick, 1986.

Les
chrisgreville
2004-01-31 23:57:35 UTC
Post by Lalbert1
I question the accuracy of some of the listings. For instance, it says, "John
Garfield [1913-52] Film Star, Everyman - Died of a heart attack in 1952,
shortly after being placed on the Hollywood blacklist. [Editor's Note: Many say
it was the blacklist that did him in.] "
It was no secret that John Garfield had a heart attack while screwing his
girlfriend in her Gramercy Park apartment.
Ah, she really got a stiff one then.

Chris Greville

(Someone hadda say it)
Mark Steese
2004-02-01 02:04:46 UTC
***@aol.com (Lalbert1) wrote in news:***@mb-m12.aol.com:
[snip]
Post by Lalbert1
And a footnote to, "William Desmond Taylor [1877-1922] Silent Film
The case remains unsolved.] "
King Vidor, an old time Hollywood director, researched the murder in
1967. He claimed to have solved the case and was going to make a
movie out of it. He never did but Vidor's research was used for the
book, "A Cast of Killers" by Sidney D. Kirkpatrick, 1986.
I read Kirkpatrick's book a few years after it came out, and figured
he'd pretty much nailed the solution. Two or three years ago I found
the website for Taylorology, the newsletter for William Desmond Taylor
buffs, of whom there are evidently quite a few. Issue 65 was devoted to
pointing out the errors in Kirkpatrick's book, which were plentiful: see
http://www.public.asu.edu/~bruce/Taylor65.txt

Of course, anybody can say that a book is full of mistakes, but the
Taylorology people went to the trouble of digging up the original police
reports, newspaper articles, etc., and IMO they make a pretty good case
that Kirkpatrick botched it.
--
Mark Steese
Unscramble and underscore to email
Blaine dropped from a great height into a river. -fametracker.com
James Gifford
2004-02-01 02:47:53 UTC
Post by Lalbert1
Lupe Velez.
"Lupe Velez [1908-44] "Mexican Spitfire" - Went out in style by
committing suicide by swallowing pills amid a roomful of flowers. "
Maybe the bathroom had flowers in it.
He missed the really good part of the story.
Post by Lalbert1
I question the accuracy of some of the listings.
Ditto.
M C Hamster
2004-02-01 04:27:05 UTC
Post by James Gifford
Lupe Velez.
Post by Lalbert1
I question the accuracy of some of the listings.
Ditto.
Well, it cites Nick Adams as being in Rebel Without a Cause, whereas of
course he was The Rebel on TV.

My brother told me that Superman killed himself, and I cried just like I did
when he told me a few years earlier that there was no Santa Claus.

M C Hamster "Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'" -- Creedence Clearwater Revival
Mark Steese
2004-02-01 04:34:01 UTC
Post by M C Hamster
Post by James Gifford
Post by Lalbert1
I question the accuracy of some of the listings.
Ditto.
Well, it cites Nick Adams as being in Rebel Without a Cause, whereas
of course he was The Rebel on TV.
He also played Chick in Rebel Without a Cause, though.
M C Hamster
2004-02-01 05:06:13 UTC
Post by Mark Steese
Post by M C Hamster
Post by James Gifford
Post by Lalbert1
I question the accuracy of some of the listings.
Ditto.
Well, it cites Nick Adams as being in Rebel Without a Cause, whereas
of course he was The Rebel on TV.
He also played Chick in Rebel Without a Cause, though.
Well I'll be. I stand corrected. I am chagrined.

M C Hamster "Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'" -- Creedence Clearwater Revival
groo
2004-02-03 20:34:22 UTC
Post by M C Hamster
Well I'll be. I stand corrected. I am chagrined.
"I am chagrined." That's it? That's all ya got?

My faith in hamsters has been severely eroded.
--
"It was absolutely marvelous working for Pauli. You could ask him anything.
There was no worry that he would think a particular question was stupid,
since he thought all questions were stupid." - Victor Frederick Weisskopf
M C Hamster
2004-02-03 21:25:17 UTC
Post by groo
Post by M C Hamster
Well I'll be. I stand corrected. I am chagrined.
"I am chagrined." That's it? That's all ya got?
My faith in hamsters has been severely eroded.
I just would never, ever, ever have thought to check to see if Nick Adams,
renowned as Johnny Yuma, The Rebel on TV was also actually in Rebel Without
a Cause. I wonder how many stars have been on TV shows with a similar name
to an unrelated movie? It's a statistical anomaly.

So, what... you want me to throw myself, groveling on the ground? I have
far too much pride for that. I think chagrin is an appropriate level of
shame for this offense.

M C Hamster "Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'" -- Creedence Clearwater Revival
James Gifford
2004-02-03 21:52:16 UTC
Post by M C Hamster
I just would never, ever, ever have thought to check to see if Nick
Adams, renowned as Johnny Yuma, The Rebel on TV was also actually in
Rebel Without a Cause. I wonder how many stars have been on TV shows
with a similar name to an unrelated movie? It's a statistical
anomaly.
Search for "Carrie Anne Moss" and "Matrix."

:)
Mark Steese
2004-02-04 03:03:29 UTC
Post by James Gifford
Post by M C Hamster
I just would never, ever, ever have thought to check to see if Nick
Adams, renowned as Johnny Yuma, The Rebel on TV was also actually in
Rebel Without a Cause. I wonder how many stars have been on TV shows
with a similar name to an unrelated movie? It's a statistical
anomaly.
Search for "Carrie Anne Moss" and "Matrix."
And then there's George Clooney, who appeared in the TV show "E/R" in
1984, ten years before "ER" debuted.
Qaiser Tariq
2023-03-09 04:13:46 UTC
Post by Mark Steese
Post by M C Hamster
Post by James Gifford
Post by Lalbert1
I question the accuracy of some of the listings.
Ditto.
Well, it cites Nick Adams as being in Rebel Without a Cause, whereas
of course he was The Rebel on TV.
He also played Chick in Rebel Without a Cause, though.
Well I'll be. I stand corrected. I am chagrined.
M C Hamster "Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'" -- Creedence Clearwater Revival
Quanking is a team with rich experience in the integrated circuit sales industry, dedicated to providing a full range of wholesale electronic components suppliers and technical services for the majority of industry partners.
Visit our site:
https://quanking.com/product-category/microchip/
Lots42 The Library Avenger
2004-02-02 21:33:23 UTC
Did Superman kill Santa Claus?
c***@thelast.mile
2004-02-01 09:49:55 UTC
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:49:25 GMT, James Gifford
Post by James Gifford
Post by OswaldActedAlone
[...]
Well, this doesn't top the "head in a toilet" thing, but didn't Elvis
die from pinching a loaf? Is that true?

pinching a loaf.... Television has done horrible things to my grammar.
James Gifford
2004-02-01 17:56:58 UTC
Post by c***@thelast.mile
Well, this doesn't top the "head in a toilet" thing, but didn't Elvis
die from pinching a loaf? Is that true?
He was on the can, reading a book about "the scientific search for Jesus"
or some such, and had a heart attack. It might have been from a strainful
pinch.
Incredible Rhyme Animal
2004-02-01 20:23:57 UTC
Post by James Gifford
Post by c***@thelast.mile
Well, this doesn't top the "head in a toilet" thing, but didn't Elvis
die from pinching a loaf? Is that true?
He was on the can, reading a book about "the scientific search for Jesus"
or some such, and had a heart attack. It might have been from a strainful
pinch.
While Presley's body was found in the bathroom, the bathroom at Graceland
served a dual function as library, and it's unlikely a fellow with the massive
quanity of narcotics in his system the king had would've been moving his bowels
for the next few days.

I believe Heart Attack, or irregular heartbeat, is the official cause of death,
and indeed it's likely Elvis inherited a predeliction for heart disease from
his mother, it would be foolish to deny the role of a massive drug stack in his
death.
Lots42 The Library Avenger
2004-02-02 21:32:34 UTC
Post by Incredible Rhyme Animal
While Presley's body was found in the bathroom, the bathroom at Graceland
served a dual function as library, and it's unlikely a fellow with the massive
quanity of narcotics in his system the king had would've been moving his bowels
for the next few days.
Elvis is male. EVERY male's bathroom serves as dual function as a library.
Because most women leave guys' bathrooms alone.
Blinky the Shark
2004-02-02 09:13:22 UTC
Post by James Gifford
Post by c***@thelast.mile
Well, this doesn't top the "head in a toilet" thing, but didn't Elvis
die from pinching a loaf? Is that true?
He was on the can, reading a book about "the scientific search for Jesus"
or some such, and had a heart attack. It might have been from a strainful
pinch.
Saw a one-frame cartoon the other day, of Elvis sitting on the can,
reading a newspaper and whistling or humming (per the balloon) a tune,
which device was used to show that he was happy. The caption was,
"Elvis, unplugged."
--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
Happily slrning again.
artyw
She should have had the tacos instead.
rich tintera
2004-02-01 19:42:02 UTC
Post by OswaldActedAlone
Auntie Em Slipped a Plastic Bag Over Her Head . . .
and other Disturbing Hollywood Deaths
http://www.altreel.com/offbeat-cinema/index.html
Check out the book "Hollywood Babylon" (and its sequel) for lots of
interesting deaths.
Mark Steese
2004-02-01 20:45:15 UTC
Post by rich tintera
Post by OswaldActedAlone
Auntie Em Slipped a Plastic Bag Over Her Head . . .
and other Disturbing Hollywood Deaths
http://www.altreel.com/offbeat-cinema/index.html
Check out the book "Hollywood Babylon" (and its sequel) for lots of
interesting deaths.
And lots of non-existent documentation.

Ken Anger probably didn't invent any of the rumors he reports, but he
definitely didn't spend a lot of time trying to verify them. The odd
thing is that there are plenty of authentically lurid stories about
Hollywood stars, but he preferred made-up ones. (Either that, or he was
the most gullible human being who ever lived.)
Beaver Fever
There are people who go out of their way trying to pretend this book isn't 100% true
Qaiser Tariq
2023-03-09 04:15:27 UTC
Post by OswaldActedAlone
Auntie Em Slipped a Plastic Bag Over Her Head . . .
and other Disturbing Hollywood Deaths
http://www.altreel.com/offbeat-cinema/index.html
Quanking is a team with rich experience in the integrated circuit sales industry, dedicated to providing
a full range of wholesale electronic components suppliers and technical services for the majority of industry partners.
Visit our site for more details
https://quanking.com/product-category/microchip/