Cecil Adams is writing again
Joseph Nebus
2023-04-14 00:11:01 UTC
Not up to being weekly again, and not with the support staff
that makes the old-fashioned style column as doable, but he's there:

https://boards.straightdope.com/c/comments-on-cecils-columns-staff-reports/7
--
Joseph Nebus
Math Blog: https://nebusresearch.wordpress.com
--------------------------------------------------------+---------------------
a***@yahoo.com
2023-04-14 23:05:54 UTC
So there is a new EDition?
Snidely
2023-04-16 06:01:57 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Joseph Nebus
Not up to being weekly again, and not with the support staff
https://boards.straightdope.com/c/comments-on-cecils-columns-staff-reports/7
So there is a new EDition?
Well, it's not a TED talk.

/dps "eschew longtermism"
--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered
Bradley Wertheim, theAtlantic.com, Jan 10 2013
Khadijatul Kubra
2023-08-23 10:05:16 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Joseph Nebus
Not up to being weekly again, and not with the support staff
https://boards.straightdope.com/c/comments-on-cecils-columns-staff-reports/7
So there is a new EDition?
Well, it's not a TED talk.
/dps "eschew longtermism"
--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered
virtuosity, currently soloing in obscurity in Mom's garage.
Bradley Wertheim, theAtlantic.com, Jan 10 2013
It is so interesting I have been searching for this topic for a long time. I read this article very carefully and now I got all my best information for writing a blog on medical equipment. I am so glad that I finally found a blog resemblance to my topic. Thanks for this.
https://dealsnvouchers.co.uk/store/uk-open-college
Beaver Fever
What was once annoying is now sad and hilarious at the same time considering there about 3 people left reading this group.
Les Albert
2023-08-31 18:01:09 UTC
On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 00:31:55 -0700 (PDT), Beaver Fever
Post by Beaver Fever
Post by Khadijatul Kubra
Post by Snidely
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
I think there may be more than 3 people reading the site regularly,
looking for something to respond to in alt.fan.cecil-adams-moribund.

Les
Kerr-Mudd, John
2023-08-31 18:31:13 UTC
On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 11:01:09 -0700
Post by Les Albert
On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 00:31:55 -0700 (PDT), Beaver Fever
[]
Post by Les Albert
Post by Beaver Fever
What was once annoying is now sad and hilarious at the same time considering there about 3 people left reading this group.
I think there may be more than 3 people reading the site regularly,
looking for something to respond to in alt.fan.cecil-adams-moribund.
Les
But Beaver's contributions were always... marginal.
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Michael Trew
2023-09-01 16:08:31 UTC
Post by Beaver Fever
What was once annoying is now sad and hilarious at the same time
considering there about 3 people left reading this group.
A few more than three, I'm sure. I lurk several different groups, but I
don't often post to a number of them.
Even still, he probably posts more than anyone here.
b***@shaw.ca
2023-11-13 17:48:15 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd, John
Post by Les Albert
I think there may be more than 3 people reading the site
regularly, looking for something to respond to in
alt.fan.cecil-adams-moribund.
But Beaver's contributions were always... marginal.
Even still, he probably posts more than anyone here.
Even stiller, I used to post here regularly, but I'm now having my first look
in years. It appears that on average, there is less than one new post a day
here now.

(I can't decide whether that should be less or fewer than one. Six of one
and half a dozen of the other, I suppose.)

bill
Boron Elgar
Hi, Bill
b***@shaw.ca
2023-11-13 22:06:00 UTC
Post by Boron Elgar
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Kerr-Mudd, John
Post by Les Albert
I think there may be more than 3 people reading the site
regularly, looking for something to respond to in
alt.fan.cecil-adams-moribund.
But Beaver's contributions were always... marginal.
Even still, he probably posts more than anyone here.
Even stiller, I used to post here regularly, but I'm now having my first look
in years. It appears that on average, there is less than one new post a day
here now.
(I can't decide whether that should be less or fewer than one. Six of one
and half a dozen of the other, I suppose.)
Hi, Bill
Gloriosity, Boron. Just driving by, or have you been waiting here all this time?

bill
Boron Elgar
2023-11-14 00:47:27 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Boron Elgar
Post by b***@shaw.ca
(I can't decide whether that should be less or fewer than one. Six of one
and half a dozen of the other, I suppose.)
Hi, Bill
Gloriosity, Boron. Just driving by, or have you been waiting here all this time?
bill
I have about a dozen old Usenet favorites that I keep an eye on at
times.

Hope all is well with you and yours.
b***@shaw.ca
2023-11-14 04:40:53 UTC
Post by Boron Elgar
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Boron Elgar
Post by b***@shaw.ca
(I can't decide whether that should be less or fewer than one. Six of one
and half a dozen of the other, I suppose.)
Hi, Bill
Gloriosity, Boron. Just driving by, or have you been waiting here all this time?
bill
I have about a dozen old Usenet favorites that I keep an eye on at
times.
Hope all is well with you and yours.
Well, that deserves a straight answer. My partner Sue died after 48 years together.
I miss her a lot, but it has been a little over a year, and it doesn't hurt as much as
it did.

Meanwhile, my family genes have kicked in, and another 15 years will get me to 90.
After, it's a crap shoot.

And you?

bill
Boron Elgar
2023-11-14 14:58:31 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Boron Elgar
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Boron Elgar
Post by b***@shaw.ca
(I can't decide whether that should be less or fewer than one. Six of one
and half a dozen of the other, I suppose.)
Hi, Bill
Gloriosity, Boron. Just driving by, or have you been waiting here all this time?
bill
I have about a dozen old Usenet favorites that I keep an eye on at
times.
Hope all is well with you and yours.
Well, that deserves a straight answer. My partner Sue died after 48 years together.
I miss her a lot, but it has been a little over a year, and it doesn't hurt as much as
it did.
Meanwhile, my family genes have kicked in, and another 15 years will get me to 90.
After, it's a crap shoot.
And you?
bill
I am so very sorry to hear about Sue. My deepest sympathy and
condolences to you. I hope you have a fine collection of her
photographs.

We've had a few ups and downs with health around here, but since DH's
father is still going strong at 101 with all his wits about him, we're
hoping we both go gently into our old age as he has, though the term
"crap shoot" might be applied to the FIL more than one would like.

It does seems weird to even contemplate it, but I will be 75 in 6
months and DH will be 73 then. We convinced at least one of the kids
to breed, so there is a grandchild to fuss over-at least online- that
part of the family lives in Taiwan.

All the best.
b***@shaw.ca
2023-11-14 18:46:15 UTC
Post by Boron Elgar
I am so very sorry to hear about Sue. My deepest sympathy and
condolences to you. I hope you have a fine collection of her
photographs.
Yep, they're on the walls in every room and in our hallway. Also in the building
lobby; she talked the strata council into buying several framed prints.

When she was bored, she'd zip around the building in her wheelchair, knock
on the doors of people she got along with, and strike up a conversation. The
whole building mourned when she died unexpectedly.

(It seems that a childhood illness -- rheumatic fever -- struck her down. Long
story short: rheumatic fever can cause significant problems later in life.
One of them is multiple sclerosis, which she had. Another is heart failure.)

bill
HVS
2023-11-15 16:15:43 UTC
On Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 6:58:34 AM UTC-8, Boron Elgar
Post by Boron Elgar
I am so very sorry to hear about Sue. My deepest sympathy and
condolences to you. I hope you have a fine collection of her
photographs.
Yep, they're on the walls in every room and in our hallway. Also
in the building lobby; she talked the strata council into buying
several framed prints.
When she was bored, she'd zip around the building in her
wheelchair, knock on the doors of people she got along with, and
strike up a conversation. The whole building mourned when she died
unexpectedly.
(It seems that a childhood illness -- rheumatic fever -- struck
her down. Long story short: rheumatic fever can cause significant
problems later in life. One of them is multiple sclerosis, which
she had. Another is heart failure.)
Was rheumatic fever one of the childhood diseases which disqualified
men from active service in WW2?

ISTR being told that my father's (numerous) attempts to sign up
(Canadiana forces) were unsuccessful due to a childhood illness, but
I can't recall what it might have been.
Cheers, Harvey
b***@shaw.ca
2023-11-16 07:09:28 UTC
Post by HVS
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Boron Elgar
[...]
I don't know that, but when I read

https://achh.army.mil/history/book-wwii-infectiousdisvolii-chapter8

it seems possible.
Post by HVS
ISTR being told that my father's (numerous) attempts to sign up
(Canadiana forces) were unsuccessful due to a childhood illness, but
I can't recall what it might have been.
I think this is a U.S. site, but it lists a huge number of illnesses, conditions etc.
that the military won't accept:

https://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/disqualifiers-medical-conditions.html

bill
HVS
2023-11-16 13:45:24 UTC
Post by HVS
ISTR being told that my father's (numerous) attempts to sign up
(Canadiana forces) were unsuccessful due to a childhood illness,
but I can't recall what it might have been.
I think this is a U.S. site, but it lists a huge number of
https://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/disqualifiers-medical-co
nditions.html
bill
Thanks; I'll give those a read.
Cheers, Harvey
Boron Elgar
2023-11-15 21:11:38 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Boron Elgar
I am so very sorry to hear about Sue. My deepest sympathy and
condolences to you. I hope you have a fine collection of her
photographs.
Yep, they're on the walls in every room and in our hallway. Also in the building
lobby; she talked the strata council into buying several framed prints.
When she was bored, she'd zip around the building in her wheelchair, knock
on the doors of people she got along with, and strike up a conversation. The
whole building mourned when she died unexpectedly.
(It seems that a childhood illness -- rheumatic fever -- struck her down. Long
story short: rheumatic fever can cause significant problems later in life.
One of them is multiple sclerosis, which she had. Another is heart failure.)
bill
Again, my sympathies.

As I recall, Sue had a complicated health situation. It must be
comforting to see her photographic artistry daily.

My mother was left with heart damage from childhood rheumatic fever
and it caused problems for her later in life. I developed a murmur as
an adult, but when I next see the cardiologist, I will ask if it might
have had anything to do with the rheumatic fever I had in my early
20s. I am not sure I ever told that doc about it. Thank you for
reminding me.
b***@shaw.ca
2023-11-16 08:27:02 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Boron Elgar
I am so very sorry to hear about Sue. My deepest sympathy and
condolences to you. I hope you have a fine collection of her
photographs.
Yep, they're on the walls in every room and in our hallway. Also in the building
lobby; she talked the strata council into buying several framed prints.
Some of them are still online.

https://www.martinprairies.com/gallery/prairie-photos

bill
Boron Elgar
Very nice. I am a devotee of B&W photos. Hers are lovely.
Snidely
2023-11-17 08:42:12 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Boron Elgar
I am so very sorry to hear about Sue. My deepest sympathy and
condolences to you. I hope you have a fine collection of her
photographs.
Yep, they're on the walls in every room and in our hallway. Also in the
building lobby; she talked the strata council into buying several framed
prints.
Some of them are still online.
https://www.martinprairies.com/gallery/prairie-photos
bill
There is both humor and beauty in those.

/dps
--
As a colleague once told me about an incoming manager,
"He does very well in a suck-up, kick-down culture."
Bill in Vancouver
Snidely
2023-11-15 23:19:16 UTC
Post by Boron Elgar
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Kerr-Mudd, John
Post by Les Albert
I think there may be more than 3 people reading the site
regularly, looking for something to respond to in
alt.fan.cecil-adams-moribund.
But Beaver's contributions were always... marginal.
Even still, he probably posts more than anyone here.
Even stiller, I used to post here regularly, but I'm now having my first
look in years. It appears that on average, there is less than one new post
a day here now.
(I can't decide whether that should be less or fewer than one. Six of one
and half a dozen of the other, I suppose.)
bill
Hi, Bill
Glad to see you razzing the troops!

/dps
--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.