Why Miss Jones, You're Beautiful!
Hank Gillette
2006-06-07 05:42:22 UTC
Remember this cliché? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?

I was discussing this with someone at work the other day, and we were
trying to figure out how this got started. He believes that it was
originated by "The Music Man". I think it probably goes back further
than that, but don't have any evidence. Anyone know? I won't mind if I'm
wrong, I'd just like to know the answer.
--
Hank Gillette

"I think liberalism lives - the notion that we don't have to stay where we
are as a society, we have promises to keep, and it is liberalism, whether
people like it or not, which has animated all the years of my life. What
on Earth did conservatism ever accomplish for our country? -- Charles Kuralt
Pushmi-Pullyu
2006-06-07 05:56:00 UTC
Post by Hank Gillette
Remember this cliché? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
I was discussing this with someone at work the other day, and we were
trying to figure out how this got started. He believes that it was
originated by "The Music Man". I think it probably goes back further
than that, but don't have any evidence. Anyone know? I won't mind if I'm
wrong, I'd just like to know the answer.
--
Hank Gillette
Interesting question...

I found a pdf study on this site:

https://drum.umd.edu/dspace/handle/1903/2670

It has this bit:

"Historian Dee Garrison, in her landmark 1979 study Apostles
of Culture: The Public Librarian and American Society, 1876-1920,
claimed that:
It was the elitist nature of public library leadership that interacted
with the
predominance of women in the profession to produce the 'library
hostess' of the late
1800s. And it is this respectable middle-class lady who does indeed
demonstrate some
of the stereotypical traits of that grim, prim, spinster librarian who
has become a
commonplace figure in American popular thought.6"

I googled "librarian stereotype history" to get there...

danny burstein
2006-06-07 06:00:03 UTC
Post by Hank Gillette
Remember this cliché? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
I was discussing this with someone at work the other day, and we were
trying to figure out how this got started. He believes that it was
originated by "The Music Man". I think it probably goes back further
than that, but don't have any evidence. Anyone know? I won't mind if I'm
wrong, I'd just like to know the answer.
Lots older. Just as one example, think back
to "It's a wonderful life" and how whasername, in the
alternate universe, was stuck as a spinster libraran...
***@panix.com
Hank Gillette
2006-06-07 14:28:54 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Lots older. Just as one example, think back
to "It's a wonderful life" and how whasername, in the
alternate universe, was stuck as a spinster libraran...
I thought of that, but while we knew that Donna Reed was beautiful, no
one in IAWL's alternate reality seemed to realize it.

That's always bugged me anyway. If George Bailey had never existed, why
would that have turned Mary into a dried up librarian? She was clearly
beautiful and personable, and there was Sam Wainwright (the "Hee Haw"
guy) and the character played by Alfalfa Switzer who were both clearly
interested in her. Much as I love the movie, this idea never made sense.

r***@westnet.poe.com
2006-06-07 15:15:52 UTC
Post by Hank Gillette
Post by danny burstein
Lots older. Just as one example, think back
to "It's a wonderful life" and how whasername, in the
alternate universe, was stuck as a spinster libraran...
I thought of that, but while we knew that Donna Reed was beautiful, no
one in IAWL's alternate reality seemed to realize it.
That's always bugged me anyway. If George Bailey had never existed, why
would that have turned Mary into a dried up librarian? She was clearly
beautiful and personable, and there was Sam Wainwright (the "Hee Haw"
guy) and the character played by Alfalfa Switzer who were both clearly
interested in her. Much as I love the movie, this idea never made sense.
Romantic predestination: she was desitined for only one man, and without
him, she's permanantly unfulfilled.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.
Ask me about joining the NRA.
Mike
2006-06-07 11:16:08 UTC
Post by Hank Gillette
Remember this cliché? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
I was discussing this with someone at work the other day, and we were
trying to figure out how this got started. He believes that it was
originated by "The Music Man". I think it probably goes back further
than that, but don't have any evidence. Anyone know? I won't mind if I'm
wrong, I'd just like to know the answer.
The first thing I thought of as I read this was Humphrey Bogart in The Big
Sleep, who says something like, "Well, hello!" at the very end of a scene,
just after a woman bookseller (not quite a librarian, but close enough for
me) closes her shop early, and lets her hair down before sharing a drink
with Bogey. The Big Sleep was originally released in 1946, The Music Man
first opened in 1957.

PS: You're missing the close quote on your sig.

-- Mike --
Hank Gillette

Tony Myers (Beloved Man of the People)
2006-06-08 08:12:17 UTC
What on Earth did conservatism ever accomplish for our country?"
Sansabelt slacks
Dana Carpender
2006-06-08 17:38:06 UTC
Post by Tony Myers (Beloved Man of the People)
What on Earth did conservatism ever accomplish for our country?"
Sansabelt slacks
Oh, the horror.

When Jim Edgar was Secretary of State for Illinois, he marched in the
Evanston parade every 4th of July, and he wore the hideous Sansabelts,
as, I suppose, befitted midwestern Republican.

My mom and I knew he was serious about running for governor when he
showed up in the parade in well-fitted jeans, with a belt. And a much
better look it was, too.

Dana
Veronique
2006-06-08 18:25:54 UTC
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by Tony Myers (Beloved Man of the People)
What on Earth did conservatism ever accomplish for our country?"
Sansabelt slacks
Oh, the horror.
When Jim Edgar was Secretary of State for Illinois, he marched in the
Evanston parade every 4th of July, and he wore the hideous Sansabelts,
as, I suppose, befitted midwestern Republican.
Are those the slacks you could get by the bushel with the "Ban-Rol"
waistband by Haband, advertised in the Sunday Parade magazine?

My grandfather wore those[1]. As it happens, he was a Republican.

V.

[1] My father too, until my mother cut them all up and forbade him to
buy new ones.
Veronique Chez Sheep
Dana Carpender
2006-06-08 18:43:57 UTC
Post by Veronique
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by Tony Myers (Beloved Man of the People)
What on Earth did conservatism ever accomplish for our country?"
Sansabelt slacks
Oh, the horror.
When Jim Edgar was Secretary of State for Illinois, he marched in the
Evanston parade every 4th of July, and he wore the hideous Sansabelts,
as, I suppose, befitted midwestern Republican.
Are those the slacks you could get by the bushel with the "Ban-Rol"
waistband by Haband, advertised in the Sunday Parade magazine?
They look like this: http://www.bigmen.com/pants/sansabelt.html

Only usually not that good.
Post by Veronique
My grandfather wore those[1]. As it happens, he was a Republican.
V.
[1] My father too, until my mother cut them all up and forbade him to
buy new ones.
Good for her.

Dana
Veronique
2006-06-08 18:53:10 UTC
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by Veronique
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by Tony Myers (Beloved Man of the People)
What on Earth did conservatism ever accomplish for our country?"
Sansabelt slacks
Oh, the horror.
When Jim Edgar was Secretary of State for Illinois, he marched in the
Evanston parade every 4th of July, and he wore the hideous Sansabelts,
as, I suppose, befitted midwestern Republican.
Are those the slacks you could get by the bushel with the "Ban-Rol"
waistband by Haband, advertised in the Sunday Parade magazine?
They look like this: http://www.bigmen.com/pants/sansabelt.html
Only usually not that good.
Well they certainly look similar. The Haband pants had a "stitched-in
crease", which was supposed to be a feature.

V.
Veronique Chez Sheep
John Hatpin
2006-06-09 02:56:58 UTC
Post by Veronique
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by Veronique
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by Tony Myers (Beloved Man of the People)
What on Earth did conservatism ever accomplish for our country?"
Sansabelt slacks
Oh, the horror.
When Jim Edgar was Secretary of State for Illinois, he marched in the
Evanston parade every 4th of July, and he wore the hideous Sansabelts,
as, I suppose, befitted midwestern Republican.
Are those the slacks you could get by the bushel with the "Ban-Rol"
waistband by Haband, advertised in the Sunday Parade magazine?
They look like this: http://www.bigmen.com/pants/sansabelt.html
Only usually not that good.
Well they certainly look similar. The Haband pants had a "stitched-in
crease", which was supposed to be a feature.
I've never heard of Sansabelt before (although, with a little
knowledge of French, the name describes it), and I googled, but all I
get is pictures of blokes in trousers.

What, exactly, is so off-putting about those trousers?
John Hatpin
Tony Myers (Beloved Man of the People)
2006-06-09 08:00:11 UTC
Post by John Hatpin
What, exactly, is so off-putting about those trousers?
Nothing at all. It's the most time saving invention in history after
shampoo and conditioner in one bottle. In 1959 Jaymar-Ruby introduced
the patented Sansabelt waistband. Its unique triple zone, triple-action
elastic webbing finally offered men everywhere the style they wanted
and the comfort they craved. And while Sansabelt still features the
comfort-fit waistband we've grown to love, they're introducing new
looks and innovations designed to appeal even more to today's active
man. Like new high-performance fabrics that move with your every move.
Sleek, updated silhouettes. And up to the minute colors and patterns.
It's everything you need to look great and feel comfortable. And in the
future they're planning on launching a line of pants that has underwear
already built in and gold-toe socks permanently attached to the
cuffs. It's as close as we'll ever come to living the life of the
Jetsons.
Hank Gillette
2006-06-08 22:23:53 UTC
Post by Veronique
Are those the slacks you could get by the bushel with the "Ban-Rol"
waistband by Haband, advertised in the Sunday Parade magazine?
Naw, those were a cheap ripoff (assuming that it's possible to make a
cheap ripoff of beltless polyester pants).

D.F. Manno
2006-06-09 21:09:41 UTC
Post by Mike
The first thing I thought of as I read this was Humphrey Bogart in The Big
Sleep, who says something like, "Well, hello!" at the very end of a scene,
just after a woman bookseller (not quite a librarian, but close enough for
me) closes her shop early, and lets her hair down before sharing a drink
with Bogey.
About that scene, are we supposed to assume that Marlowe and the bookseller
shared a little more than just a drink before the rain stopped and Marlowe left?
Or is my dirty mind reading something into it that's not there?
--
D.F. Manno | ***@mail.com
The second article of impeachment against Richard Nixon covered, among

Magnus, Robot Fighter.
2006-06-07 11:50:52 UTC
Have you met Miss Jones?
John Hatpin
2006-06-07 12:11:38 UTC
Post by Hank Gillette
Remember this cliché? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
Have you met Miss Jones?
One of my favourite standards for jazz piano, that one.

I was going to simply reply "Miss Jones to you", but checked before
posting and can't find any reference to the song other than oblique
ones. Maybe it's a less well-known song than I thought.
John Hatpin
Magnus, Robot Fighter
2006-06-07 12:30:09 UTC
Post by Hank Gillette
Remember this cliché? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
Have you met Miss Jones?
One of my favourite standards for jazz piano, that one.
I was going to simply reply "Miss Jones to you", but checked before
posting and can't find any reference to the song other than oblique
ones. Maybe it's a less well-known song than I thought.
--
John Hatpin
Blasphemy I know, but I wasn't acquainted with the song until I heard
the Robbie Wiliams version. At least I can say I heard it before
Bridget Jones Diary....which may actually give me less street cred than
more.

And as long as I'm confessing my sins, I never heard Stardust until I
heard Harry Connick Jr.'s version.
Hank Gillette
2006-06-07 14:31:11 UTC
Post by Magnus, Robot Fighter
And as long as I'm confessing my sins, I never heard Stardust until I
heard Harry Connick Jr.'s version.
Willie Nelson's version was the first that made me conscious of it, but
I've got to believe that I heard it before that.

John Hatpin
2006-06-08 00:12:21 UTC
On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:31:11 -0400, Hank Gillette
Post by Hank Gillette
Post by Magnus, Robot Fighter
And as long as I'm confessing my sins, I never heard Stardust until I
heard Harry Connick Jr.'s version.
Willie Nelson's version was the first that made me conscious of it, but
I've got to believe that I heard it before that.
Apparently, Hoagy Carmichael was walking across a field when the
melody of Stardust came into his mind. Knowing that he was onto a
winner, he dashed home straightaway and found himself a piano so he
could play the tune to himself and thus commit it to memory.
John Hatpin
Dana Carpender
2006-06-08 00:18:20 UTC
Post by Hank Gillette
Post by Magnus, Robot Fighter
And as long as I'm confessing my sins, I never heard Stardust until I
heard Harry Connick Jr.'s version.
Willie Nelson's version was the first that made me conscious of it, but
I've got to believe that I heard it before that.
Apparently, Hoagy Carmichael was walking across a field when the
melody of Stardust came into his mind. Knowing that he was onto a
winner, he dashed home straightaway and found himself a piano so he
could play the tune to himself and thus commit it to memory.
Hoagy's a Bloomington local, you know. He's buried in Rose Hill
Cemetary, here in town.

We have a train overpass here in town with the opening bars of Stardust
painted on it.

Dana
John Hatpin
2006-06-08 02:58:59 UTC
On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 20:18:20 -0400, Dana Carpender
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by John Hatpin
Apparently, Hoagy Carmichael was walking across a field when the
melody of Stardust came into his mind. Knowing that he was onto a
winner, he dashed home straightaway and found himself a piano so he
could play the tune to himself and thus commit it to memory.
Hoagy's a Bloomington local, you know. He's buried in Rose Hill
Cemetary, here in town.
We have a train overpass here in town with the opening bars of Stardust
painted on it.
We learn stuff here, don't we?

Say "hi" from me to Hoagy next time you walk past his grave.
John Hatpin
Dover Beach
2006-06-08 03:00:28 UTC
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by John Hatpin
Apparently, Hoagy Carmichael was walking across a field when the
melody of Stardust came into his mind. Knowing that he was onto a
winner, he dashed home straightaway and found himself a piano so he
could play the tune to himself and thus commit it to memory.
Hoagy's a Bloomington local, you know. He's buried in Rose Hill
Cemetary, here in town.
We have a train overpass here in town with the opening bars of
Stardust painted on it.
We learn stuff here, don't we?
Say "hi" from me to Hoagy next time you walk past his grave.
I went to graduate school with his granddaughter. She didn't seem all
that impressed with him.
Dover
John Hatpin
2006-06-08 03:45:36 UTC
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by John Hatpin
Apparently, Hoagy Carmichael was walking across a field when the
melody of Stardust came into his mind. Knowing that he was onto a
winner, he dashed home straightaway and found himself a piano so he
could play the tune to himself and thus commit it to memory.
Hoagy's a Bloomington local, you know. He's buried in Rose Hill
Cemetary, here in town.
We have a train overpass here in town with the opening bars of
Stardust painted on it.
We learn stuff here, don't we?
Say "hi" from me to Hoagy next time you walk past his grave.
I went to graduate school with his granddaughter. She didn't seem all
that impressed with him.
In what sense, or is that a prying question?
John Hatpin
Blinky the Shark
2006-06-08 04:51:56 UTC
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by John Hatpin
Apparently, Hoagy Carmichael was walking across a field when the
melody of Stardust came into his mind. Knowing that he was onto a
winner, he dashed home straightaway and found himself a piano so
he could play the tune to himself and thus commit it to memory.
Hoagy's a Bloomington local, you know. He's buried in Rose Hill
Cemetary, here in town.
We have a train overpass here in town with the opening bars of
Stardust painted on it.
We learn stuff here, don't we?
Say "hi" from me to Hoagy next time you walk past his grave.
I went to graduate school with his granddaughter. She didn't seem all
that impressed with him.
In what sense, or is that a prying question?
He couldn't open beers with his dick. Wait! Wrong thread. Never mind.
--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Dover Beach
2006-06-08 11:41:43 UTC
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by John Hatpin
Apparently, Hoagy Carmichael was walking across a field when the
melody of Stardust came into his mind. Knowing that he was onto a
winner, he dashed home straightaway and found himself a piano so
he could play the tune to himself and thus commit it to memory.
Hoagy's a Bloomington local, you know. He's buried in Rose Hill
Cemetary, here in town.
We have a train overpass here in town with the opening bars of
Stardust painted on it.
We learn stuff here, don't we?
Say "hi" from me to Hoagy next time you walk past his grave.
I went to graduate school with his granddaughter. She didn't seem all
that impressed with him.
In what sense, or is that a prying question?
I think her family had been the family of the Great Man and she was sick
of it. She seemed slightly embarrassed by it and as if she wanted to be
known for being herself. She was pretty young, though, early 20s, so
maybe she got over it later.
Dover
John Hatpin
2006-06-08 14:37:56 UTC
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 06:41:43 -0500, Dover Beach
Post by Dover Beach
Post by John Hatpin
On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 22:00:28 -0500, Dover Beach
[context: Hoagy]
Post by Dover Beach
Post by John Hatpin
Post by Dover Beach
I went to graduate school with his granddaughter. She didn't seem all
that impressed with him.
In what sense, or is that a prying question?
I think her family had been the family of the Great Man and she was sick
of it. She seemed slightly embarrassed by it and as if she wanted to be
known for being herself. She was pretty young, though, early 20s, so
maybe she got over it later.
That's understandable. It must be hard, being known best for being
the daughter of someone (or the son, or wife, or husband, or
whatever).
John Hatpin
Jerry Bauer
Christopher Robin
Hank Gillette
2006-06-08 22:22:36 UTC
Post by Jerry Bauer
Post by John Hatpin
That's understandable. It must be hard, being known best for being
the daughter of someone (or the son, or wife, or husband, or
whatever).
Christopher Robin
Alice Liddell
--
Hank Gillette

"Please believe me. I don't usually sleep with strange men."
"Sleeping is fine. It's the screwing you want to watch out for."
Dana Carpender
2006-06-08 16:10:53 UTC
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by John Hatpin
Apparently, Hoagy Carmichael was walking across a field when the
melody of Stardust came into his mind. Knowing that he was onto a
winner, he dashed home straightaway and found himself a piano so he
could play the tune to himself and thus commit it to memory.
Hoagy's a Bloomington local, you know. He's buried in Rose Hill
Cemetary, here in town.
We have a train overpass here in town with the opening bars of Stardust
painted on it.
We learn stuff here, don't we?
Say "hi" from me to Hoagy next time you walk past his grave.
Should you feel as much better as you hope after your split with
Marianne, you can come across the pond and visit for one of the
occasional Hoagy events that happen here in town. Or, for that matter,
for the Lotus World Music Festival that happens here every year.

Dana
John Hatpin
2006-06-08 23:07:00 UTC
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 12:10:53 -0400, Dana Carpender
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by John Hatpin
Say "hi" from me to Hoagy next time you walk past his grave.
Should you feel as much better as you hope after your split with
Marianne, you can come across the pond and visit for one of the
occasional Hoagy events that happen here in town. Or, for that matter,
for the Lotus World Music Festival that happens here every year.
Named after the flower or the car?

Seriously, though, it's a great idea, but I can't imagine handling a
trans-Atlantic non-smoking flight. And even that's assuming I could
get the money together.

These are all goals.
John Hatpin
Dana Carpender
2006-06-09 00:38:49 UTC
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by John Hatpin
Say "hi" from me to Hoagy next time you walk past his grave.
Should you feel as much better as you hope after your split with
Marianne, you can come across the pond and visit for one of the
occasional Hoagy events that happen here in town. Or, for that matter,
for the Lotus World Music Festival that happens here every year.
Named after the flower or the car?
Seriously, though, it's a great idea, but I can't imagine handling a
trans-Atlantic non-smoking flight.
That's why God created nicotine patches and Ambien. :-)

Dana
John Hatpin
2006-06-09 02:01:18 UTC
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by John Hatpin
Say "hi" from me to Hoagy next time you walk past his grave.
Should you feel as much better as you hope after your split with
Marianne, you can come across the pond and visit for one of the
occasional Hoagy events that happen here in town. Or, for that matter,
for the Lotus World Music Festival that happens here every year.
Named after the flower or the car?
Seriously, though, it's a great idea, but I can't imagine handling a
trans-Atlantic non-smoking flight.
That's why God created nicotine patches and Ambien. :-)
And why did God invent aircraft with decent air-conditioning that was
mostly shut down to save on costs? Anyway ...

My strategy for dealing with nicotine withdrawal on a plane is this:
when I get a craving, I have another sip of gin and tonic.

Did I ever tell of the time (pre-9/11) when I flew all the way to
Spain in the cockpit of an Airbus? I could smoke in there all right -
the pilots' privilege extended to me.
John Hatpin
Bob Geary
2006-06-09 20:25:59 UTC
Post by Dana Carpender
Post by John Hatpin
[...]
A co-passenger on an overbooked-by-one-seat flight I was on from Rejkyavik
to the Faroe Islands (post-9/11) got to sit in the cockpit by simply telling
the pilots she was a licensed pilot. (She was, but she didn't have any
proof with her) I deeply envied her that - the approach to the Faroes comes
right up the middle of this really steep narrow fjord (is that redundant?
If it's not steep & narrow, is it still a fjord?) and must have been amazing
with a full view.

The regional airport in Rejkyavik also rented her a plane for the afternoon,
with similar non-documentation of her ability to fly it. (Maybe she had a
huuuuuuge limit on her credit card?)
N Jill Marsh
2006-06-08 01:20:32 UTC
Post by Hank Gillette
Post by Magnus, Robot Fighter
And as long as I'm confessing my sins, I never heard Stardust until I
heard Harry Connick Jr.'s version.
Willie Nelson's version was the first that made me conscious of it, but
I've got to believe that I heard it before that.
It was my parents' "song", and one of the first non-assigned sort of
tune I learned to play on the piano.

nj"as they danced to it"m
--
"What every woman secretly wants is a man who'll wake
her up and play bird calls at her over the telephone."
Bill Kinkaid
2006-06-08 04:58:43 UTC
Post by Hank Gillette
Remember this cliché? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
Have you met Miss Jones?
No, but me and Mrs. Jones had a thing going on.
Bill in Vancouver
Magnus, Robot Fighter.
You got the short end (or she did). We had a Thang goin on.
Bill Kinkaid
2006-06-08 14:49:49 UTC
Post by Hank Gillette
Remember this cliché? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
Have you met Miss Jones?
No, but me and Mrs. Jones had a thing going on.
You got the short end (or she did). We had a Thang goin on.
Didn't the Isley Brothers pop that thang?
Bill in Vancouver
r***@westnet.poe.com
2006-06-07 14:00:15 UTC
Remember this clich?? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
ITYMTS "Good heavens Miss Sakamoto - you're beautiful!"

John
Ask me about joining the NRA.
Glenn Dowdy
2006-06-07 14:49:00 UTC
Post by r***@westnet.poe.com
Remember this clich?? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
ITYMTS "Good heavens Miss Sakamoto - you're beautiful!"
That's exactly what came to my mind when I saw the thread title.

Glenn D.
S. Checker
2006-06-07 16:31:29 UTC
Remember this clich?? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
I was discussing this with someone at work the other day, and we were
trying to figure out how this got started. He believes that it was
originated by "The Music Man". I think it probably goes back further
than that, but don't have any evidence. Anyone know? I won't mind if I'm
wrong, I'd just like to know the answer.
There was a cartoon in a popular Leporidae-oriented magazine the
contents of which I'll try to reproduce in ROT13 to spare those of
delicate constitution or tender years:

N lbhat yvoenevna, bs svar culfvpny nccrnenapr, vf fgnaqvat qrzheryl
jvgu ure gbc naq oenffvrer abjurer va fvtug, unve fgvyy va n oha naq
tynffrf ba. N sryybj vf fnlvat "Jul Zvff Wbarf, jvgubhg lbhe oen lbh'er
/ornhgvshy/."

Or so I heard. While listening to NPR and reading Proust.
--
As your attorney, it is my duty to inform you that it is not important
that you understand what I'm doing or why you're paying me so much
-- Hunter S. Thompson's Samoan attorney
John Hatpin
2006-06-08 00:30:36 UTC
Post by S. Checker
As your attorney, it is my duty to inform you that it is not important
that you understand what I'm doing or why you're paying me so much
money. What's important is that you continue to do so.
-- Hunter S. Thompson's Samoan attorney
"As your attorney, it is my duty to ask you where the goddamned
cocaine is." -- ditto, but from (old) memory
John Hatpin
Greg Goss
2006-06-09 10:12:49 UTC
Post by S. Checker
[...]
What's a Leporidae? I seem to remember that as a classic Buck Brown
(or similar) comic from Playboy's heyday.

(The heyday of magazines always refers to the period when the speaker
was fifteen.)
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Greg Johnson
2006-06-09 12:22:52 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by S. Checker
[...]
What's a Leporidae?
A bunny...
Greg Johnson
Dover Beach
2006-06-08 03:16:00 UTC
Post by Hank Gillette
Remember this cliché? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
Apropos of the general topic, this month's issue of American Libraries
had this cartoon:

http://tinyurl.com/zm7on

with the caption "Miss Vivian hoped that her 'extreme makeover' would
put muscle behind the 'no food or drink in the library' rule."

Of course a lot of libraries are encouraging coffee carts and snack
areas...
Dover
S. Checker
2006-06-08 19:43:31 UTC
Post by Dover Beach
Remember this clich?? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
Apropos of the general topic, this month's issue of American Libraries
http://tinyurl.com/zm7on
with the caption "Miss Vivian hoped that her 'extreme makeover' would
put muscle behind the 'no food or drink in the library' rule."
Of course a lot of libraries are encouraging coffee carts and snack
areas...
If I owned a bookstore it would have comfy chairs scattered all around
that patrons could take unpaid-for books to for the purpose of smearing
greasy coffee-cake crumbs on the pages, tearing the covers and
eventually re-shelving the books incorrectly under "Latin American
History." The chairs would be infested with fire ants.
--
We are here on Earth to do good for others. What the others are here for
I don't know.
-- W.H. Auden
Veronique
2006-06-09 00:44:57 UTC
Post by S. Checker
Post by Dover Beach
Remember this clich?? The librarian with glasses and her hair in a bun
that no one notices until she removes the glasses and lets her hair
down? Then all of a sudden, they realize that she's gorgeous?
Apropos of the general topic, this month's issue of American Libraries
http://tinyurl.com/zm7on
with the caption "Miss Vivian hoped that her 'extreme makeover' would
put muscle behind the 'no food or drink in the library' rule."
Wow. Real-life sketch from the downtown Santa Cruz 'brer, huh?
Post by S. Checker
Post by Dover Beach
Of course a lot of libraries are encouraging coffee carts and snack
areas...
No. That's bad.
Post by S. Checker
If I owned a bookstore it would have comfy chairs scattered all around
that patrons could take unpaid-for books to for the purpose of smearing
greasy coffee-cake crumbs on the pages, tearing the covers and
eventually re-shelving the books incorrectly under "Latin American
History." The chairs would be infested with fire ants.
Mmmm, fire ants.

V.
Veronique Chez Sheep
Dover Beach
2006-06-09 02:15:15 UTC
Post by Veronique
Post by Dover Beach
Of course a lot of libraries are encouraging coffee carts and snack
areas...
No. That's bad.
Why?
Dover
Veronique
2006-06-09 03:46:28 UTC
Post by Veronique
Post by Dover Beach
Of course a lot of libraries are encouraging coffee carts and snack
areas...
No. That's bad.
Why?
Because libraries are the last sanctuary.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep