For Comet fans
Snidely
2023-05-16 01:08:33 UTC
No, not the reindeer, nor even observing iceballs, but an aircraft that
deserves the love despite its flaws:

See also

and

<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet>
<URL:https://xkcd.com/2764/>
<URL:https://www.baesystems.com/en-media/webImageWebp/20210402120452/1434578120689.webp

Enjoy!

/dps
--
As a colleague once told me about an incoming manager,
"He does very well in a suck-up, kick-down culture."
Bill in Vancouver
Snidely
2023-05-16 01:10:56 UTC
Post by Snidely
No, not the reindeer, nor even observing iceballs, but an aircraft that
http://youtu.be/-DjnG74DDno
See also
http://youtu.be/3nV9udxkkxw
and
http://youtu.be/ExfBJDaZwOY
http://youtu.be/VbUuB1aN2DA
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet>
<URL:https://xkcd.com/2764/>
<URL:https://www.baesystems.com/en-media/webImageWebp/20210402120452/1434578120689.webp
http://youtu.be/vvrPnsgmNbQ
http://youtu.be/Pn7ImsFM13k
<URL:https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/de-havilland-comet-3---4>
Post by Snidely
Enjoy!
/dps
and me
--
"First thing in the morning, before I have coffee, I read the obits, If
I'm not in it, I'll have breakfast." -- Carl Reiner, to CBS News in
2015.
Michael Trew
2023-06-03 02:19:20 UTC
Post by Snidely
No, not the reindeer, nor even observing iceballs, but an aircraft that
http://youtu.be/-DjnG74DDno
Ah, I was thinking of the powdered "Comet" in a can to whiten the
porcelain in my kitchen sink ;)
Snidely
2023-06-03 02:51:15 UTC
Post by Snidely
No, not the reindeer, nor even observing iceballs, but an aircraft that
http://youtu.be/-DjnG74DDno
Ah, I was thinking of the powdered "Comet" in a can to whiten the porcelain
in my kitchen sink ;)
The "can" was a cardboard tube with metal ends until it was replaced
with plastic. The other Comet was an aluminum tube with things
sticking out to the sides.

/dps
--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"
Viktor Frankl
Les Albert
2023-06-03 19:21:24 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Snidely
No, not the reindeer, nor even observing iceballs, but an aircraft that
http://youtu.be/-DjnG74DDno
Ah, I was thinking of the powdered "Comet" in a can to whiten the porcelain
in my kitchen sink ;)
The "can" was a cardboard tube with metal ends until it was replaced
with plastic. The other Comet was an aluminum tube with things
sticking out to the sides.
This has turned into a funny subject; reindeer, scouring powder. I
didn't go to any of the urls you previously posted so I don't know if
the movie related to the Comet was one of them. It's a British film
that's kind of corny, but it was made in 1950 and special effects were
not that great then. You can watch it on youtube at:

The plane shown in the movie is not the Comet and it looks peculiar,
but the story has to do with the metal failure of Comet 1.

Les
Mark Brader
2023-06-03 21:12:40 UTC
Post by Les Albert
This has turned into a funny subject; reindeer, scouring powder. I
didn't go to any of the urls you previously posted so I don't know if
the movie related to the Comet was one of them. It's a British film
that's kind of corny, but it was made in 1950...
You must be talking about "No Highway in the Sky".
Post by Les Albert
The plane shown in the movie is not the Comet and it looks peculiar,
but the story has to do with the metal failure of Comet 1.
The movie was not based on the Comet 1 disasters -- it *anticipated*
them, being released three years before they happened. And the novel
it was based on (just "No Highway") came out three years before that.
(By the way, Nevil Shute, its author, was a real-life airplane designer.)

In the movie, the plane's unexpectedly short operating life is due
to a fictional *nuclear reaction* in the metal, not to conventional
metal fatigue as in the real-life disasters. I don't know if this
detail is the same in the novel.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | A driver I know is getting uncomfortably close to
***@vex.net | earning the nickname "Crash". --Lee Ayrton

Boron Elgar
Mark Brader
2023-06-04 03:21:38 UTC
Post by Boron Elgar
You must be talking about "No Highway in the Sky"... the novel
it was based on (just "No Highway")...
(By the way, Nevil Shute, its author, was a real-life airplane designer.)
"On the Beach."
That's a *different* novel by Nevil Shute (also with a movie version).
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Do people confuse me with Mark Brader?"
***@vex.net --Mark Barratt
Boron Elgar
2023-06-04 08:28:56 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Boron Elgar
You must be talking about "No Highway in the Sky"... the novel
it was based on (just "No Highway")...
(By the way, Nevil Shute, its author, was a real-life airplane designer.)
"On the Beach."
That's a *different* novel by Nevil Shute (also with a movie version).
VERY different. When I read it, I was quite young and considered it
horror.
Les Albert
2023-06-03 23:08:57 UTC
Post by Les Albert
the movie related to the Comet was one of them. It's a British film
that's kind of corny, but it was made in 1950...
You must be talking about "No Highway in the Sky".
Yes, that's the movie, and you are correct that the film anticipated
the Comet 1 failures. The plane in the movie that I referred to as
peculiar is a De Havilland FB Mk I "Venom", first flown in 1949.
Post by Mark Brader
In the movie, the plane's unexpectedly short operating life is due
to a fictional *nuclear reaction* in the metal, not to conventional
metal fatigue as in the real-life disasters. I don't know if this
detail is the same in the novel.
I never read Shute's book but back in the 1950s "nuclear" and
"atomic"anything was a fascinating and mystical subject to the general
public, so it wouldn't have been unusual for Shute to attribute metal
failure to a nuclear reaction.

Les
Michael Trew
2023-06-04 22:23:48 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Michael Trew
Post by Snidely
No, not the reindeer, nor even observing iceballs, but an aircraft that
http://youtu.be/-DjnG74DDno
Ah, I was thinking of the powdered "Comet" in a can to whiten the
porcelain in my kitchen sink ;)
The "can" was a cardboard tube with metal ends until it was replaced
with plastic. The other Comet was an aluminum tube with things sticking
out to the sides.
/dps
Yes, cardboard with metal ends. I didn't know they sold it in plastic;
the one under my sink is cardboard/metal, just like frozen orange juice
concentrate.
Sajjad Hassan
2023-09-13 05:25:41 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Michael Trew
Post by Snidely
No, not the reindeer, nor even observing iceballs, but an aircraft that
http://youtu.be/-DjnG74DDno
Ah, I was thinking of the powdered "Comet" in a can to whiten the
porcelain in my kitchen sink ;)
The "can" was a cardboard tube with metal ends until it was replaced
with plastic. The other Comet was an aluminum tube with things sticking
out to the sides.
/dps
Yes, cardboard with metal ends. I didn't know they sold it in plastic;
the one under my sink is cardboard/metal, just like frozen orange juice
concentrate.
Try not to miss the potential chance to visit our page and find what you’re searching for with a solitary snap!
https://yongkanglongkui.com/product/bullet-proof-jacket-manufacturers/
Longkui Newmaterial